• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A in Pakistan

pup11

International Coach
well TBH i think Australia could have surely picked better bowlers for this tournament. Lets say Tait wasn't injured Hilfenhaus would have been their plus McDonald. Pacers like Bollinger & Noffke should be nowhere near an A-side ATM especially given players like Griffith who has been doing very well for Tasmania over the past 3 seasons, Ben Edmondosn & even Brett Dorey.
I agree with you, but it was all about giving the rookies the taste of playing at the sub-continent though the aussies got owned but this experience would help these rookies develop theri game further and work on their flaws, as they say no pain no gain!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lets hope both yousuf and inzi play for at least two more years for pakistan... i can't imagin a pakistani team without inzi and yousuf...
Well Yousuf has gone to the ICL, so his chances of playing for Pakistan again are virtually nil, especially if the PCB hold true to their word (which is unlikely) and since Inzamam has been dropped from the central contract list I doubt he'll play a Test again.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
well TBH i think Australia could have surely picked better bowlers for this tournament. Lets say Tait wasn't injured Hilfenhaus would have been their plus McDonald. Pacers like Bollinger & Noffke should be nowhere near an A-side ATM especially given players like Griffith who has been doing very well for Tasmania over the past 3 seasons, Ben Edmondosn & even Brett Dorey.
Hilfenhaus yes, but thats the nature of A side when guys get called up to the national side. But you got to remember that Gillespie came in for him. And if Australia failed with Hilfenhaus then people would have said if Gillespie, Griffin etc were picked they would have done better. But Gillespie was average and i can't see MacDonald, Edmondon or Dorey doing any better. There all pretty average and not much better if at all then the guys that were in the squad. There not really any bowlers that you could have added to squad that would have done much better outside Bichel.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with you, but it was all about giving the rookies the taste of playing at the sub-continent though the aussies got owned but this experience would help these rookies develop theri game further and work on their flaws, as they say no pain no gain!!!!!!!
Looking at the pace attack there didn't really give any rookies are try outside Butterworth. Bollinger, Noffke, Gillespie and Harwood (intially in the squad) aren't rookies. Hopes, Gillespie and Noffke have all been around the national set up for a while. Harwood and Bollinger are seasoned pros and have been part of plenty of A tours including quite a few to sub-continent.

The batting line up had little rookies as well. The spin attach yeah, but that had more to do with no experienced OD spinners to select from. Cullen experience in ODIs probably makes him the most experienced OD spinner in Australia outside Hogg and Haurtiz.

If this squad was picked on potential not performance then the likes of Mosies, Bailey, Paine, Pomerbash(sp) etc would have been picked.

pup11

International Coach
Chaminda, you got to understand that Australia have introduced almost every young and talented fast bowler playing in the Australian domestic cricket into their international team , so obviously there won't be too many talented quickies left in the domestic circuit.
But still the likes of Edmondson,Hopes, Butterworth, Griffith,Gillespie, etc are a good 2nd string of fast-bowlers to have.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Chaminda, you got to understand that Australia have introduced almost every young and talented fast bowler playing in the Australian domestic cricket into their international team , so obviously there won't be too many talented quickies left in the domestic circuit.
But still the likes of Edmondson,Hopes, Butterworth, Griffith,Gillespie, etc are a good 2nd string of fast-bowlers to have.
Edmondson is crap, Hopes is average, Butterworth had one good game his whole career. Griffith medicore, a solid performer but a long way off even A level. Gillespie yes.

Really they nothing to say to prove that Noffke isn't on par with Griffith and Edmondson is one par with Bollinger.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Squad for First Test.

1. Faisal Iqbal (Capt.)
2. Taufeeq Umar
3. Hasan Raza
4. Khalid Latif
5. Yasir Hameed
6. Naved Latif
7. Adnan Raza
8. Sarfraz Ahmed (WK)
9. Mansoor Amjad
10. Atif Maqbool
11. Mohammad Khalil
12. Abdur Rauf
13. Mohammad Irshad
14. Najaf Shah
15. Rizwan Ahmad

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My XI would be...

Taufeeq Umar
Yasir Hameed
Faisal Iqbal
Hasan Raza
Adnan Raza
Khalid Latif
Sarfraz Ahmed
Mansoor Amjad
Abdur Rauf
Najaf Shah
Mohammed Khalil

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The thing that pisses me off is that he looses his timber to gun barrel straight balls and then reacts as if is was a jaffar that got him.
Apart from certain performances against Australia, VVS Laxman has made a rather successful career out of doing exactly that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Given how uninspiring Pakistan’s bowling attack looks, this could be a run feast for the batsman. Also Raza to dominate. :)

Perm

Squad for First Test.

1. Faisal Iqbal (Capt.)
2. Taufeeq Umar
3. Hasan Raza
4. Khalid Latif
5. Yasir Hameed
6. Naved Latif
7. Adnan Raza
8. Sarfraz Ahmed (WK)
9. Mansoor Amjad
10. Atif Maqbool
11. Mohammad Khalil
12. Abdur Rauf
13. Mohammad Irshad
14. Najaf Shah
15. Rizwan Ahmad
Decent squad, is Safraz Ahmed really the best keeper in Pakistan behind Kamran Akmal? What happened to that Zulqarnain chap who toured South Africa not so long ago?

Anyway, Faisal Iqbal, Taufeeq Umar and Yasir Hameed all have opportunities to push for Test spots. I've heard Shahid Yousuf be talked about as a possible Pakistan prospect but looking at his stats I wouldn't have thought so.

brockley

International Captain
Macgill is a front line international spinner,pakistan A will surely be tested,he could lift australia's attack,one day cricket is a different game.

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
Decent squad, is Safraz Ahmed really the best keeper in Pakistan behind Kamran Akmal? What happened to that Zulqarnain chap who toured South Africa not so long ago?

Anyway, Faisal Iqbal, Taufeeq Umar and Yasir Hameed all have opportunities to push for Test spots. I've heard Shahid Yousuf be talked about as a possible Pakistan prospect but looking at his stats I wouldn't have thought so.
Shahid Yousuf wasnt selected cause he supposedly left the training camp without permission. Also been fined 10000 rupees.

Adnan Raza looks a special talent. Saw him in action last season and he definitely looks like a future Pakistan batsmen.

Zulqarnain seems to have disappeared. Could be injured. Definitely gives Akmal a run for his money.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Shahid Yousuf is an excellent bat, technically some light years ahead of rubbish like Faisal Iqbal, Taufiq Umer, Yasir Hameed. His problem is mainly in the head he tends to find soft ways to get out.

Perm

Shahid Yousuf is an excellent bat, technically some light years ahead of rubbish like Faisal Iqbal, Taufiq Umer, Yasir Hameed. His problem is mainly in the head he tends to find soft ways to get out.
I knew there must be some kind of reason he was mentioned as a Pakistani prospect, and it obviously wasn't the amount of runs he has been scoring because they haven't really been coming in huge quantities. Yasir Hameed is hardly rubbish, he'll get a batting spot when Pakistan play their next Test, and rightfully so.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Personally I feel Pakistan should forget about tried and tested failurers like Iqbal, Hammed, Umer and Misbah, out of the former potential talents Hassan Raza is the only one who deserves one last go. I would prefer if the focus shifts to players like Khurram Manzoor, Adnan Raza, Shahid Yousuf, Khalid Latif and Fawad Alam.