• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Death Bowling Problems.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well yeah it might but equally Johnson's hardly covered himself in glory with his accuracy, has he?

thierry henry

International Coach
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/281283.html

Most economical bowlers in the last ten overs since 2006 (At least 150 balls; excludes ODIs against Zim, B'desh and all non-Test playing teams) Bowler Balls Bat runs conceded Wickets Average Econ
Muttiah Muralitharan 263 209 9 23.22 4.76
Harbhajan Singh 151 120 2 60.00 4.76
Andrew Hall 244 220 17 12.94 5.40
Marlon Samuels 197 184 9 20.44 5.60
Lasith Malinga 206 202 14 14.42 5.88
Rana Naved-ul-Hasan 170 174 18 9.66 6.14
Daniel Vettori 163 161 4 40.25 5.92
Chris Gayle 266 277 7 39.57 6.24
Irfan Pathan 166 181 12 15.08 6.54
Shane Bond 208 224 18 12.44 6.46

(that's a mess but you get the idea)

thierry henry

International Coach
I honestly can't remember Bond ever not being smashed when he bowled at the death. I think they should have restricted that to the last 5 overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've though Bond has been poor at the death but I've often wondered why.

Similar story with Andre Nel and Charl Langeveldt. All seem to have all the tools and toys... but not be capable of using them. :mellow:

thierry henry

International Coach
Strange perhaps, given his record, but I don't think Bond's control of length is *that* good. Certainly at the death he just never seems to bowl yorkers.

The discussion is of course rather pointless given that according to those stats Bond is apparently a very good death bowler anyway...

pup11

International Coach
You just can't blame Johnson for these huge targets being chased down, other bowler in the aussie line-up have been equally poor during these huge run-chases too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bond often comes on for "the kill" around the 40th too, I guess, to try and get a few wickets before the death overs to reduce any potential damage. I don't think the last 10 is an accurate reflection on the death, maybe last 5-7 overs.

Steulen

International Regular
Andrew Hall and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan...

Well I never.
Hall is actually a pretty fine bowler, imo. Not the fastest, but he has the variations and control needed to be a good death bowler. Although, again, I think his stats are improved by mainly bowling during...ehhh...'early death'.

pup11

International Coach
I think pace is not everything at the death its where you pitch the ball thats important anything on a good length or slightly off-line goes the distance.

So you need the skill,concentration and the heart to bowl at the death because its really tough to ball at that time of the innings.

Not only Hall, but the likes of Mr.Death(Ian Harvey), McGrath or Chris Cairns also never had the pace but they had the skills to bowl well at the death.

Craig

World Traveller
Using spinners at the death can allow you to control where the batsman is hitting the ball, and put men out where they're most likely to hit, as it's harder generate pace to hit the ball over fieldsmen's heads. However, the one shot that is very difficult to cover is the reverse sweep / anything backward of point on the off-side. Although you often have two men behind point in that position, if it gets past them it will usually be 4.

Also, you can control where they hit the ball, but you can't always control whether it will land inside the rope.

For Australia, Clarke or Symonds would be much better suited to the death than Hogg.
Since you have played cricket at a higher level then a lot of us have, have you yourself been given that job?

Strange perhaps, given his record, but I don't think Bond's control of length is *that* good. Certainly at the death he just never seems to bowl yorkers.

The discussion is of course rather pointless given that according to those stats Bond is apparently a very good death bowler anyway...
Yeah, during the game at Hobart between Australia and New Zealand before Bong got his hat-trick I remember posting just bowl yorkers.

Steulen

International Regular
I think pace is not everything at the death its where you pitch the ball thats important anything on a good length or slightly off-line goes the distance.

So you need the skill,concentration and the heart to bowl at the death because its really tough to ball at that time of the innings.

Not only Hall, but the likes of Mr.Death(Ian Harvey), McGrath or Chris Cairns also never had the pace but they had the skills to bowl well at the death.
Given how Ian Harvey bowled, Andrew Symonds' medium pacers might be a good option at the death.

pup11

International Coach
Ian Harvey had a bag of tricks, he had 3 or 4 types of slower balls, very accurate yorker which was more or less all the time at the block hole on off and middle and he also never bowled too many balls off-line either.

Symo is more or less a line and length medium pacer and he doesn't have the tricks of Harvey, but Symo's off-spin could be an option at the death(like gayle and samuels).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Craig said:
Since you have played cricket at a higher level then a lot of us have, have you yourself been given that job?
One year in the U/19 Nationals, I was to do that job except was only required once.