• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ATG Bad Captaincy Decisions

andmark

International Captain
I can't remember who won the toss, but a funny tactical one involved England touring India in the 1980s. Botham says in one match, the pitch curators prepared a seaming wicket with little turn. Yes, England found an English wicket thousands of miles away.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Garry Sobers' declaration here - I've given up trying to defend him on it
Wow. Can only imagine because it was a stalemate at 0-0 and they got bored. Clearly a good deck and they give England that chase? And I know it was before ODI cricket, but the lack of effort in setting a target with any urgency doesn't seem to be present...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Gulbadin Naib having just played an instrumental part in allowing Pakistan beat Afghanistan, by not only questionably bowling himself, but bowling rubbish too, what other terrible moves by captains (any format) spring to mind?
It's the worst piece of captaincy I've seen, not just because of the decision to revert to seam bowling when spin was working, but because it involved bowling himself. It was beyond bad and was actually delusional.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I can't remember who won the toss, but a funny tactical one involved England touring India in the 1980s. Botham says in one match, the pitch curators prepared a seaming wicket with little turn. Yes, England found an English wicket thousands of miles away.
Maybe it was the one-off test in 1980, where Botham took a 10for and hit a century after our top order had failed.

Talking of England in India, I think it was the first test in 1992/93 when we went in with only one spinner compared to India's three. You can probably guess how that one turned out.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow. Can only imagine because it was a stalemate at 0-0 and they got bored. Clearly a good deck and they give England that chase? And I know it was before ODI cricket, but the lack of effort in setting a target with any urgency doesn't seem to be present...
This is the story, as I saw it ten years ago anyway :)

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Smith not enforcing the follow on and therefore letting Anderson pick up a thoroughly undeserved 5for at Adelaide 2017. Terrible captaincy that

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve Smith not enforcing the follow on and therefore letting Anderson pick up a thoroughly undeserved 5for at Adelaide 2017. Terrible captaincy that
May not have even been the worst bit of captaincy in that game - Root sending Australia in a total prank decision.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
May not have even been the worst bit of captaincy in that game - Root sending Australia in a total prank decision.
Fair point, wasn't a good decision that. The ball was doing a bit, but nothing massive, Anderson and Broad were both too short early on. Not bright captaincy