• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

At long last ! A series win abroad.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I really think you need to get over Nayan Mongia......he's not going to play for India again so there's no point bringing his name up.
Why not? So what if he's old? It's the quality of wicketkeeping that matters.

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
well played india for winning the series :)

however, the biggest positives to come out of this series was the emergence of a good fast bowling trio for india in pathan, balaji and nehra. 2 years, ago nobody expected india to have one of the best fast-bowling attacks in the world, but india has. this tells, all cricket fans something that you cant predict what will happen in cricket, after one year even.

coming back, in pathan and balaji, we have 2 excellent swing bowlers with both the bowlers having a good yorker and best of all, both the bowlers are quick learners. it is said that fast bowlers hunt in pairs, and in pathan and balaji, there is a excellent fast bowling pair for india. in nehra, there is a good 3rd seamer as well who can keep things tight.

besides the young fast bowlers, there is also kumble, who seems to be a different bowler from what he was. he has taken 39 wickets in his last 6 tests in alien conditions and is now giving bowlers like murali and warne competition and IMO he ranks right up there with the two.

also, this looks to be the best indian team ever. the batting is also stronger than ever with bengal tiger, the wall, very very special, master blaster, delhi dasher and sher-e-punjab.

going by the performances, it looks like that the india-austrlia test series later this year will decide whos the better team. currently, i cant say india as no.1 as that belongs to australia, who havent lost any series outside the sub-continent for atleast the last 5 years. the only series they have lost in these 5 years have been to teams like india and sri lanka in the sub-continent.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
Okay, forget Nayan Mongia. He has 0% chance of making a comeback so let's focus on players who could play for India. Patel deserves to keep his spot, bt Karthik's knocking on the door. Hopefully this'll force Patel to work on his keeping, and continue to improve his batting.

And most definitely India need a pace bowler who can bowl 150 kph or higher. I'm not 100% convinced about Balaji or Nehra in tests, Zaheer breaks down every five minutes and aside from that one innings in Adelaide, Agarkar hasn't shown me much either. Even Pathan is too new to really depend on. One series in which Pathan does poorly will cause everyone to turn on him, so we definitely cannot stand pat as it is. A real new-ball bowler, someone like Akhtar or Ntini and -laugh if you want- Brett Lee, is a requirement for the top teams nowadays. Just because Lee carted India around doesn't mean he's a bad bowler. His role in the Australian team has just been shifted around so much, one test he's the spearhead, another he's first change, that it's hard for him to identify himself. Anyone who can bowl at 155 kph and can aim it at the stumps some of the time is gold.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
And most definitely India need a pace bowler who can bowl 150 kph or higher
that doesnt look like its gonna happen for a long time. I guess the closest it can get to is munaf patel.
nehra as a first change bowler isnt too bad. but gets injured too often just like every other international pacers these days. maybe he and zaheer can alternate.
balaji had a good series but i cant help but wonder what he'd be like on flat tracks. could be easy pick for batsman.
hopefully salvi can break into the team sooner. after all he was picked ahead of pathan and balaji for the aus tour.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nayan Mongia is history now and he should never be selected to play for India again. Parthiv is a good prospect and his wicket keeping has improved. He should be given time to work on his short comings and he will serve India for long long time.

India doesn't need superfast bowlers, we need good bowlers.

India may have won the test series but there is a reason why we are still at no. 4. England beat WI in WI, We couldn't, We lost to SA at home and away. SA is visiting India this year and we have a chance to improve our rating until then we should be happy with the No. 4 position despite not winning abroad for almost a decade.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
^ That's your opinion - I would rather have a Great Bowler like Glenn Mcgrath, playing for India for 7-8 years without getting injured, than having an Akhtar, Bond or Lee who are not able to play one full series. These guys are a liabilty on any team.