• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Commentary

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The three commentators was okay. Basically it just meant that you heard less of each person, which might be a bit annoying if you had a really good combo, but when it's Healy, Lawry and Lloyd it's not so bad.

One thing that was interesting today was how 9 kept swapping commentators with Sky in England. We got David Lloyd, Michael Atherton and Phil Tufnell, and they occasionally got the likes of Ian Healy I believe. So really, there were a hell of a lot of commentators on 9 today. I heard Benaud, Lawry, Greig, Chappell, Slater, Tufnell, Lloyd, Atherton, Taylor, Healy, and Brantz also did a couple of interviews etc. Might even have forgotten someone.

edit: I should add, they seemed to have a bit of a system with the three commentators where two of them would do most of the "calling" and the other would chip in occasionally, sort of like the special comments guy in AFL coverage. So it wasn't too bad in terms of airtime for each voice etc.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
The three commentators was okay. Basically it just meant that you heard less of each person, which might be a bit annoying if you had a really good combo, but when it's Healy, Lawry and Lloyd it's not so bad.

One thing that was interesting today was how 9 kept swapping commentators with Sky in England. We got David Lloyd, Michael Atherton and Phil Tufnell, and they occasionally got the likes of Ian Healy I believe. So really, there were a hell of a lot of commentators on 9 today. I heard Benaud, Lawry, Greig, Chappell, Slater, Tufnell, Lloyd, Atherton, Taylor, Healy, and Brantz also did a couple of interviews etc. Might even have forgotten someone.
Okay, I will have to listen to some tomorrow, it's the adds that annoy me :@ That must mean they are getting paid double wages, none too shabby.

The bi-play between Skull and Aggers was quite entertaining today on the ABC. Here is the question for the quiz a tough one (I had no idea) what do Jonathan Agnew and Peter Roebuck have in common?

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I listened to the radio commentary over the tv and didn't think the lag was so bad, certainly cricket is much easier to follow like that than aussie rules, the slight delay is still better than listening to Healy, Nicholas, Taylor, Greig etc.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
The bi-play between Skull and Aggers was quite entertaining today on the ABC. Here is the question for the quiz a tough one (I had no idea) what do Jonathan Agnew and Peter Roebuck have in common?
Wisden Cricketers of the Year, 1988. Was listening today in the car home from cricket training :cool:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poker Boy said:
Men's sport for men women's sport for women.
Reminds me of apartheid. Well, not really...but a distantly similar principle.

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Someone answered the question about Roebuck and Agnew before i did - but I'll ask one -who were the other three cricketers of the year in 1988? (I do know the answer btw).

archie mac

International Coach
Poker Boy said:
Someone answered the question about Roebuck and Agnew before i did - but I'll ask one -who were the other three cricketers of the year in 1988? (I do know the answer btw).
I remember reading that Salim Malik was a Wisden cricket of the year, not sure if it was 88 but would be around there. I have no idea of who else it might be, so I will have a guess.

Wasim Akram & Neil Fairbrother

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Get rid of everyone on Channel 9's commentary team except for Slater, Benaud and Ather's.

Taylor has his moments, though. The rest are just annoying.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
NZTailender said:
Get rid of everyone on Channel 9's commentary team except for Slater, Benaud and Ather's.

Taylor has his moments, though. The rest are just annoying.
Chappell is okay sometimes. He talks a lot of crap but he's a decent analytical commentator. I also quite like Mark Nicholas. He can be annoying, but he really loves the game and offsets the analytical guys quite well I think. Not a commentator I'd miss or anything, but I like having him on the team.

Greig is poor, Lawry and Healy are just embarassing. What the hell was Lawry on about regarding that Giles LBW? He keeps bringing it up like it was a shocker of a decision and Ponting got a massive letoff or something. "An English umpire would have given that out".

NZTailender

FaaipDeOiad said:
Chappell is okay sometimes. He talks a lot of crap but he's a decent analytical commentator. I also quite like Mark Nicholas. He can be annoying, but he really loves the game and offsets the analytical guys quite well I think. Not a commentator I'd miss or anything, but I like having him on the team.

Greig is poor, Lawry and Healy are just embarassing. What the hell was Lawry on about regarding that Giles LBW? He keeps bringing it up like it was a shocker of a decision and Ponting got a massive letoff or something. "An English umpire would have given that out".

Haha, yeah. What really annoys me though is they try and talk constantly. I'd rather have a bit of silence now and then as well, rather than "he's hit that one too the off side". Well no ****, I can see that Tony.

Greig is probably the worst offender for this. Usually they don't talk while the bowler bowls but Greig has spoken quite a few times while it's happened. And he says the most dire things as well, and then repeats it for a while, before arse kissing some player.

Slow Love™

International Captain
To be honest, from what I've seen so far the use of Brantz has been fairly poor. Has she done anything else besides talking to random members of the crowd? It seems akin to what that Big Brother dufus guy does outside the footy, except less funny.

I did find the comments about the police and the barmy army interesting. Typical that the coppers would get sidetracked by an element of the crowd that's generally harmless. 8-)

NZTailender

Slow Love™ said:
To be honest, from what I've seen so far the use of Brantz has been fairly poor. Has she done anything else besides talking to random members of the crowd? It seems akin to what that Big Brother dufus guy does outside the footy, except less funny.

I did find the comments about the police and the barmy army interesting. Typical that the coppers would get sidetracked by an element of the crowd that's generally harmless. 8-)

True. It's a shame though because she is a pretty good reporter and I doubt she'll get a stint in the commentary box. Not being used to her full potential.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:

Yeah, I was talking to someone about it last night. It's basically like they decided to hire her, but couldn't think of an appropriate job.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Chappell was pretty awful today...he just doesn't seem to get along with the others. Like when he was asked why changes should be made to what could be a winning team he answered "you pick your team, I'll pick mine" and an uneasy silence followed. Highly entertaining of course, but still.