• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Answer me these questions three

bond21

Banned
OK I want some fun.

I will post 3 cricket trivia questions, first one to get all three correct gets to choose which CRICKET PLAYER I have to use for my avatar for one week. It must be a cricket player.

Each question will get progressively more obscure

OK

1. Who was the first bowler to take a test wicket?

2. Who is the only test cricketer to take a 5 for and score a century on his debut?

3. Where did the term "stumps" come from?

Also dont look it up on froogle.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dont know tbh, though Im interested in seeing the answer to number 3.

I feel that I should know #2 but I cant recall.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The term stumps came from a tree stump that was initially used as the wicket when the game was in its infancy.

From there on, came the dismissal "stumped" whereby the batsman has been deceived by the bowler, and now also used in everyday lexicon such as " detectives stumped by murder mystery "

Flem274*

123/5
OK I want some fun.

I will post 3 cricket trivia questions, first one to get all three correct gets to choose which CRICKET PLAYER I have to use for my avatar for one week. It must be a cricket player.

Each question will get progressively more obscure

OK

1. Who was the first bowler to take a test wicket?

2. Who is the only test cricketer to take a 5 for and score a century on his debut?

3. Where did the term "stumps" come from?

Also dont look it up on froogle.
1. Some Australian probably

2. Bruce Taylor I think, I know he had/has some kind of record for a hundred and a fifty on debut. And pretty sure there have been more who've done it.

3. Somebodies mouth I imagine.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. Allen Hill
2. Bruce Taylor
3. Tree stumps. It's possible that it got it's name from early players simply using tree stumps as the wickets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its easy to answer 1 and 2.

The intersting one is the 3rd question.

Origin of the 'stump' :
One has read many variations of the origin of the terms, cricket, wicket, stump etc but the one I like the most in so much as being the most likely is the one I came across in Ashley Mote's "The Glory Days. I quote.

" ..it is but a small step to the long held view that the game of cricket first evolved among the shepherd boys on the Weald of Kent. This was anything up to 500 years earlier than the pinnacle of achievement by th Hambledon Club in the late 1700's.

" Their invention was the product of boredom. Perhaps inspired by their new Flemish neighbours, perhaps not, did these these young shepherds start throwing stones at the 'wickets', or gates. through which the sheep passed into their pens? On either side was a 'stump' and over the stump was a removable 'bail' which otherwise held the gate square and steady. The wicket gate was slightly higher than a sheep. Even today, Australian sheep-farmers still refer to the crosspiece, or slip-rail, over their wicket gates as the 'bail'."