• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alltime ODI XI

C_C

International Captain
What would be your's ?

This would be mine:

Tendulkar < no reason needed>
Gillchrist < there are openers who've scored more than him but his decent average-35-ish, combined with run-a-ball strike rate and wicketkeeping ability makes him a perfect candidate with team balance in mind>
Viv Richards <enough said>
Lara < at this stage, i still rate Lara as the next best ODI batsman after the big 3>
Bevan < enough said>
Ponting < this is a slot i am not sure about but Ponting is my pick>
Kapil Dev < IMO he is the perfect # 7 - an excellent containing bowler and a blaster good for a quickfire 25-30. Has the mettle to play huge and important knocks too>
Wasim < his bowling + big-hitting tonks are good enough to get into any ODI side>
Waqar < can be expensive at times but his ability to wreck a batting lineup consistently is something that i dont think anyone has come close to emulating apart from Brett Lee>
Murali < i rate him above Warne, especially in ODIs- has significantly superior economy to Warne in ODIs>
Garner < best ODI bowler in my eyes>

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Dang ! wrong forum- i suppose it had to happen eventually. Mods, please move this into the proper forum ? Gracias!
:laugh:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
C_C, are those initials for Colin Calderwood? Best make this post useful

actually, C_c's got it nailed there. well done

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember doing this a few months back in a similar thread to this and found it very hard. I'll do mine now, and then try and dig up that old thread and compare it to the one I made then. See if its the same or very similar.

Sachin
+Gilchrist
Viv
Lara
Ponting
Bevan
*Kapil Dev
Akram
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Unlucky to miss out: Dean Jones, Klusener, Miandad, Waqar, Warne, Saqlain, Ambrose.

CC mine is very very similar to yours.

This was my old team back in October last year, pretty much one year ago.
Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Viv Richards
Javed Miandad
Brian Lara
Michael Bevan
Imran Kahn (c)
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtley Ambrose
Glenn McGrath

Super-Sub: Kapil Dev

As a cop out, I'll have "reserves":
Reserve Bowlers: Joel Garner, Waqar Younis and Murali
Reserve Batsmen: Richard Ponting, Sourav Ganguly & Lance Klusener
LOL @ the super-sub as Kapil. Imran was in, but with no super-sub I'd put Kapil as the overall better ODI player, particularly lower in the order. Interesting that I had Warne as the spinner Warne, whilst I believe Murali to be the better ODI bowler now, but its still close along with Saqlain. Miandad has apparently been replaced by Ponting, probably because of what Ponting has done lately, i.e murder ODI attacks like they're babies, and recent events can alter the brain. Still that's another toss-up.

Deano is the obvious addition, and that's due to all the old footage I've watched recently. Had some old tapes of ODI cricket in the late 80s early 90s, and Deano was amazing. Remember loving him as a kid, but had no idea he was that good.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sachin
+Gilchrist
Viv
Lara
Ponting
Bevan
*Kapil Dev
Akram
Garner
Murali
McGrath

I really can't find anything wrong with this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its a pretty gun team eh. Spinner could honestly be any of Murali, Warne and Saqlain but Murali's longevity in the ODI arena plus his unbelievable record makes me think it has to be him.

C_C

International Captain
Actually Saqlain is a very compelling case. At his peak, he was by far the best spinner to play ODI cricket but he didnt have the longetivity of Murali, plus his peak had the backing of some really good opening bowlers. But i can certainly see Saqlain figuring in.

Jono-as for McGrath, he is a very good choice but i think the presence of Waqar would suit the team better.
McGrath's greatest ODI skill is to peg back the batsmen by choking runs and picking up a brace of wickets in the process. He isnt the demolition man. However, the team already has three bona-fide scrooges in Kapil,Wasim and Garner. Out of which, IMO, Wasim and Garner are more explosive than McGrath,though not by much.
What this team lacks is an out-n-out strike bowler in the Waqar-Donald-Brett Lee mould.
These guys can be expensive but they have the penchant of taking a heap of wickets every few matches instead of steadily accumulating 1-2 wicket every match.
And if they are being expensive, they can be 'covered' by the three scrooges, plus Tendy and Viv who can fit in as decent dibbly dobbly bowlers.
But if they are firing on all cylinders, they present a better value than yet another scrooge.
And of all the out-n-out strike bowlers in ODIs, i'd have to give Waqar the nod.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jono said:
Its a pretty gun team eh. Spinner could honestly be any of Murali, Warne and Saqlain but Murali's longevity in the ODI arena plus his unbelievable record makes me think it has to be him.
Yeah. A case can be made for Warne as well given his batting strength over the other two. It is funny for me that I would choose the same team as you but it has happened so many times now, it was to be expected.

Update: Err sorry. I would have Ambrose over McGrath as well. Forgot about him.

My team:

SR Tendulkar
AC Gilchrist
IVA Richards
BC Lara
RT Ponting
MG Bevan
Kapil Dev (c)
Wasim Akram
J Garner
Saqlain Mushtaq
CEL Ambrose

Longish tail but whatever.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
C_C said:
Actually Saqlain is a very compelling case. At his peak, he was by far the best spinner to play ODI cricket but he didnt have the longetivity of Murali, plus his peak had the backing of some really good opening bowlers. But i can certainly see Saqlain figuring in.

Jono-as for McGrath, he is a very good choice but i think the presence of Waqar would suit the team better.
McGrath's greatest ODI skill is to peg back the batsmen by choking runs and picking up a brace of wickets in the process. He isnt the demolition man. However, the team already has three bona-fide scrooges in Kapil,Wasim and Garner. Out of which, IMO, Wasim and Garner are more explosive than McGrath,though not by much.
What this team lacks is an out-n-out strike bowler in the Waqar-Donald-Brett Lee mould.
These guys can be expensive but they have the penchant of taking a heap of wickets every few matches instead of steadily accumulating 1-2 wicket every match.
And if they are being expensive, they can be 'covered' by the three scrooges, plus Tendy and Viv who can fit in as decent dibbly dobbly bowlers.
But if they are firing on all cylinders, they present a better value than yet another scrooge.
And of all the out-n-out strike bowlers in ODIs, i'd have to give Waqar the nod.
Very good argument, and its also a good point you make about Brett Lee being really the only bowler that can demolish attacks in a way similar to Waqar. Mind you, Shane Bond can do it, and slightly better than Lee as well, but its just a shame he's never had the the chance to prove his longevity due to injuries.

Ambrose too, who I had in my side last year, may have been able to fulfill that role.

C_C

International Captain
PS: Ponting is a gun of a choice but he does bat high up the order- not too sure how he'd do comming in at 5 or 6. My ideal #5-6 would be the Bevan type - the type who can keep the scoreboard nurdling along and pinch singles at will. Bevan already occupies one spot and Ranatunga's batting is simply not strong enough to make the cut- though he'd in an alltime A or B XI. Kallis has a tendency to get bogged down and comming in the middle overs with the field spread, i dont think Kallis would be a good idea.
However, on second thoughts, i can see Jonty being there as well.
Jonty in the team alone is worth 20 runs saved in the field, plus he is an ideal middle order ODI bat with his 'poke and pinch' style. I can only imagine what kind of running between the wickets would take place with Jonty and Bevan batting together.
And his overall ODI batting record (35+ ave, 80+ strike rate) is pretty good too.
So what do people think of swapping Punter with Jonty ?

PPS: Thanks Py. Your response time makes me wish you are the dood on the other side of the phone everytime i get put on hold.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I assume there are no rules in place for choosing your ideal XI, especially silly ones like the players having to have played One-Day International Cricket.:huh:

1. George Headley
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Walter Hammond
7. Garry Sobers
8. Shane Warne
9. Harold Larwood
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Michael Holding

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thomson said:
I assume there are no rules in place for choosing your ideal XI, especially silly ones like the players having to have played One-Day International Cricket.:huh:

1. George Headley
2. Adam Gilchrist
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Walter Hammond
7. Garry Sobers
8. Shane Warne
9. Harold Larwood
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Michael Holding

Well if you're going to do that, then its not really an ODI XI, just an all time XI.

C_C

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:

Well if you cant be picked for Test alltime XIs if you havnt played tests, i see no reason why we shouldnt do the same for ODIs. Success in tests does not automatically translate to success in ODIs - Laxman, Steve Waugh, Gavaskar, etc. are all fine examples of that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Well if you're going to do that, then its not really an ODI XI, just an all time XI.
So what? It includes a few older players who might have done well in One Day Cricket. It was only an attempt to approach it from a different angle instead of everyone choosing from the same 20 players.

silentstriker said:
Well if you cant be picked for Test alltime XIs if you havnt played tests, i see no reason why we shouldnt do the same for ODIs. Success in tests does not automatically translate to success in ODIs - Laxman, Steve Waugh, Gavaskar, etc. are all fine examples of that..
Okay so there are silly rules, the pub beckons. Good night.8-)

C_C

International Captain
Okay so there are silly rules, the pub beckons. Good nigh
how is it silly ?
Do you include players without any track record in Tests when forming your test XIs ?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, relax Lillian, just choose who you want. But its just a bit weird seeing players who never played the game, kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
C_C said:
Any comments about Punter and Jonty swap ?
I would stick with Ponting against a Jonty. Ponting is a superb fielder though not as good as Rhodes of course. Plus, his batting is much much better. Jonty was a good one day batsman but not any where close to great. Had Jonty averaged more in his career, he would have been a serious contended but generally you won't find people including him in there squads.

Last edited: