• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world ODI XI game

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess my point was on an 11 point scale, 2 points only 1 apart from each other are genuinely considered near. As much as I think some of those guys in the first XIs were special, they're not Bradman level outliers over the second XI. A moderate gap is not a slight to Sachin, it's not to say he's only a hair ahead of Waugh. It's saying he's better, comfortably so. But if he's a 10/10 opener and Waugh is anything less than 9/10, what does that say about Hayden, Amla and Rohit many points further down the scale

Is Sachin a 10 and every other opener from the 2nd XI to the 5th in the 7-8 range? Is he that ahead of the curve?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
With exception of Kapil Dev and Gilchrist, all other players in the 1st XI are a class above their respective numbers in the 2nd XI. Same cannot be said about 2nd vs. 3rd XIs and so on.

stephen

With exception of Kapil Dev and Gilchrist, all other players in the 1st XI are a class above their respective numbers in the 2nd XI. Same cannot be said about 2nd vs. 3rd XIs and so on.
Possibly. But then I'd say "a class above" is about the same as "a moderate upgrade [when going from one to the other]". At least in this setting. To say that Mark Waugh is the 4th best ODI opener of all time is debatable, but he definitely belongs in the conversation and is in the same class as the Laras and Greenidges of the world.

So again we come back to the point that the real thing the "moderate upgrade" comment exposed is the amount of hero worship Tendulkar gets. Even a comparison which favors Tendulkar is too little for the deity, at least for the faithful.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Harsh on Ambrose
Absolutely. Ambrose was quite a lot more economical than Mcgrath for the period their careers coincided. Mcgrath was better in getting wickets. One thing Mcgrath has over Ambrose is performance in knockout WC matches. Mcgrath just about ahead overall.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Possibly. But then I'd say "a class above" is about the same as "a moderate upgrade [when going from one to the other]". At least in this setting. To say that Mark Waugh is the 4th best ODI opener of all time is debatable, but he definitely belongs in the conversation and is in the same class as the Laras and Greenidges of the world.

So again we come back to the point that the real thing the "moderate upgrade" comment exposed is the amount of hero worship Tendulkar gets. Even a comparison which favors Tendulkar is too little for the deity, at least for the faithful.
Semantic treachery.

In non-Stephen usage, moderate would obviously equate to 'in the same class but superior'.

stephen

Moderate means more than small and less than large.

Going from the best opener to the 3rd or 4th best of all time is hardly large. It's moderate.

mr_mister

So let's break upgrades up into minor, moderate/medium and major as I feel moderate could be interchanged as a word for medium.

Stephen skipped the minor upgrade comparison but stopped short of saying major upgrade. As only Gilly and arguably Jayasuriya could possibly slot between Sachin and Waugh as openers using this CW exercise as gospel, do we have to say Sachin would be a major upgrade over every other ODI opener in history for an ATG side, with Gilly and Sanath the only possible exceptions?

Edit- because id use the term major upgrade for comparisons like Bradman to Hammond, and Hammond to Hussain.

Or McGrath to Ishant

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a matter of scale/relativity. 10/10 is clearly farther ahead of 8/10 than 8/10 is ahead of 6/10 on a scale of ten. I'll give you an example to illustrate this. On the ICC rankings, Bradman only peaked at 967, followed by 945 by Smith and 943 by Hutton. That 2 point difference between the latter 2 is a lot more significant than a 748 end 750 difference. With ATG players it's slim pickings and relatively speaking, Waugh is significantly inferior to Tendulkar.

**** me I should really go do my maths work.

mr_mister

Maybe we shouldn't go around saying one ATG is significantly inferior to another though, because other than with Bradman, we don't really do it for test ATGs

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Bah. This forum regards Viv Richards as the best ODI batsman ever. No one has problem if De Villiers or Kohli are rated higher than Tendulkar either. It didn't expose any such thing.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

No one is hero worshiping if they rate Tendulkar more than just being a moderate upgrade over Waugh. Waugh belongs to the same class as Lara, Greenidge, Haynes and Anwar which is quite a good company to be in.

Bolo

State Captain
I like way the 5th team is put together. That is a dangerous bowling attack. The bats are all individually spuds compared to, say, the 1st team, but that's a team that would win a lot of games.