• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time ODI XI

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
You are looking at it the wrong way. These rankings are not definitive but they show general trends. How many 40 @ 80 openers have there been in the last 20 years? Imran had a better average and strike rate than many respectable batsmen like Border and Waugh. Sanga also was only ok for most of his career. His stats are only moderately better than Misbah. Stats can't capture a player's true worth because of team dynamics, how a batsman paces an innings and other factors that can't be accounted for but you are definitely either overrating Gayle or underrating Imran's batting.
Lemme state it like this Imran Khan and Chris Gayle don’t belong in the 50 best ODI batsmen list

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imran doesn't belong in the ODI ATXI regardless of any favourable or unfavourable comparisons with Kapil.

Pollock, Kapil, Klusener, Flintoff have an argument.

Picking Imran is like picking Cairns. You can do it and make statistical arguments for it, but why would you?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Imran doesn't belong in the ODI ATXI regardless of any favourable or unfavourable comparisons with Kapil.

Pollock, Kapil, Klusener, Flintoff have an argument.

Picking Imran is like picking Cairns. You can do it and make statistical arguments for it, but why would you?
In this thread there are only 2 XIs where Imran has featured iirc. But it so happens that when CW collectively voted for all time ODI XIs, Imran was voted in the 2nd XI. It's not that preposterous.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My system gives big boost to Imran's batting ranking due to longevity. On pure quality, Imran is #69 down from #35. But then Tendulkar also goes down from #4 to #12 so it's not quite an acceptable metric on its own. It might be interesting to play around with the longevity formula.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not preposterous at all. People are forgetting Kapil averaged 23 and pretending he's Klusener lite with the bat. Flintoff's batting has the same problem as Imran. So does Shakib. Pollock is an option but also has his issues such as a poor WC record and being too similar to the best bowler in the side.

Comparing Imran and Cairns is lollmao. Reminds me of that time someone said Babar struggles in ODIs like VVS.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
ST Jayasuriya
SR Tendulkar
IVA Richards
V Kohli *
AB de Villiers
MS Dhoni +
N. Kapil Dev / L Klusener (can't decide)
Wasim Akram
J Garner
M Muralitharan
GD McGrath
I would pick Klusener. He was a significantly better bat than Kapil and with people are exaggerating how bad he was with bowl and with Jaya, Viv and Sachin as other bowling options there won't be much problem if Klusener has a bad day.

Also Hadlee in place of Mcgrath and Warne in place of Murali would be better.

Plus Dhoni as captain. He was amazing at using bowlers especially part timers.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I would pick Klusener. He was a significantly better bat than Kapil and with people are exaggerating how bad he was and with Jaya, Viv and Sachin are other bowling options there won't be much problem if Klusener has a bad day.

Plus Dhoni as captain. He was amazing to using bowlers and especially part timers.
Yes. Klusenar is the best candidate for number 7 in the odi atg team with Viv and Sachin and potentially Jayasuriya/Symonds in it.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I believe 1st is more accurate because Ponting peak was much better than Tendulkar but Tendulkar was more all condition batsman than Ponting
Tendulkar peak was much better Ponting once you take into the era they peaked in. Ponting was struggling in the 90s and when most good bowlers retired and pitches became flatter he started peaking. Even in the so called peak he struggled in India.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar peak was much better Ponting once you take into the era they peaked in. Ponting was struggling in the 90s and when most good bowlers retired and pitches became flatter he started peaking. Even in the so called peak he struggled in India.
Is Ponting also extremely overrated like McGrath, Akram and Bevan? 8-)

subshakerz

International Coach
It's not preposterous at all. People are forgetting Kapil averaged 23 and pretending he's Klusener lite with the bat. Flintoff's batting has the same problem as Imran. So does Shakib. Pollock is an option but also has his issues such as a poor WC record and being too similar to the best bowler in the side.

Comparing Imran and Cairns is lollmao. Reminds me of that time someone said Babar struggles in ODIs like VVS.
Frankly it is the same Imran denialism that happens with certain posters when discussing his achievements in his test record.

Any other player batting regularly in the top six while opening the bowling in ODIs would be hailed as one of the best ODI players.

subshakerz

International Coach
I would pick Klusener. He was a significantly better bat than Kapil and with people are exaggerating how bad he was wih bowl and with Jaya, Viv and Sachin are other bowling options there won't be much problem if Klusener has a bad day.

Plus Dhoni as captain. He was amazing at using bowlers especially part timers.
I think I would choose even Kapil over Klusener frankly having given it some thought. The quality of the bowler's 10 overs matters more than late order hitting. But Pollock and Imran are better options.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
I think I would choose even Kapil over Klusener frankly having given it some thought. The quality of the bowler's 10 overs matters more than late order hitting. But Pollock and Imran are better options.
Klusener >> Imran and Kapil

Pollock is a choker so he doesn't even belong in the discussion.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Quality of overs matter more in tests. In odi, the 5th bowler just has to be decent. A power hitter at 7 is much more valuable and hence Klusenar ahead of Kapil or any other option.