• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time batting ratings (statistical analysis by Silentstriker)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Amazed that Dravid has a lower average, ICC rating, 50/100 conversion and innings/100 ratio than Ponting, yet still comes out ahead! I'm thinking once the weighting for "average in wins" is lowered, their positions will change?

EDIT - just read your explanation. Again, thinking that the lower weighting on winning average will swap their rankings?
Due to his high # of 50's, it almost offsets his lower number of centuries. He is still below Ponting in that category but only loses 1 point. Its the winning average + away average that catapults him.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
He was almost as high as Sobers before. This is the new updated list.
Wow, I'm amazed. Even looking at that I can't see how he outpoints Punter purely on stats, but you're the one putting this through the calculator, so I take your word for it!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For example, he gains 3 more points than Ponting when you take his away average (65 vs. 53). And he gains 2 more points than Ponting for his average in matches won (78 vs 66).

Again, we did not include S/R. If we had, Ponting would be ahead of Dravid. Here are the raw numbers, please let me know if there is a mistake (its quite possible) as the results surprised even me.

Code:
	Ponting	Dravid
Inn	178	176
50	35	46
100	33	23
200	4	4
300	0	0
Home	66.31	51.52
Away	53.22	65.28
Won	66.55	78.72
1st	72.6	63.51
2nd	57.47	62.17
3rd	44.72	52.38
4th	60.17	51.3
HS	257	270
ICC	940	892

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
When you have the time, would be interested in Hutton and Barrington. I reckon they'd both end up higher than many of us would expect.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
For example, he gains 3 more points than Ponting when you take his away average (65 vs. 53). And he gains 2 more points than Ponting for his average in matches won (78 vs 66).

Again, we did not include S/R. If we had, Ponting would be ahead of Dravid. Here are the raw numbers, please let me know if there is a mistake (its quite possible) as the results surprised even me.
Fair enough mate - part of the fun of this is that it throws up results you wouldn't expect!

I might just be over-sensitive because Dravid has blown away my "Ponting for top 3" prediction. ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Fair enough mate - part of the fun of this is that it throws up results you wouldn't expect!

I might just be over-sensitive because Dravid has blown away my "Ponting for top 3" prediction. ;)
Feel free to check the numbers I posted above. There might be a typo.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Feel free to check the numbers I posted above. There might be a typo.
Nah mate, I think your numbers are all good! I probably just expected Punter's ICC rating superiority to count for more than it did. Obviously there's very little in it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Nah mate, I think your numbers are all good! I probably just expected Punter's ICC rating superiority to count for more than it did. Obviously there's very little in it.
Also, both Ponting and Dravid are still playing so we are comparing Sobers throughout his whole career vs. Dravid & Ponting in their prime, you know what I mean?

I bet if we run this same exact thing ten years from now when (presumably) they've both retired, I bet both of them would be around #5-#10.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Hutton and Barrington added. Barrington's awesome away average helps him beat Hutton.
Doesn't surprise me - I figured he'd be very high in an exercise like this.

Another bloke with great stats and an awesome away average (66 I think) is Hammond. Would back him to be up there too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Sean said:
Doesn't surprise me - I figured he'd be very high in an exercise like this.

Another bloke with great stats and an awesome away average (66 I think) is Hammond. Would back him to be up there too.
Adding Hammond and Sutcliffe next.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Also, both Ponting and Dravid are still playing so we are comparing Sobers throughout his whole career vs. Dravid & Ponting in their prime, you know what I mean?

I bet if we run this same exact thing ten years from now when (presumably) they've both retired, I bet both of them would be around #5-#10.
Yeah, great call - it's highly unlikely that either of them will maintain their current stats until they retire. Though both men do seem to be getting better with age, so it'll be interesting to see just where they end up.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Very interesting stuff. Good work SS. I'd be interested to see where Mohammad Yousuf would rank now if you have the time.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dasa said:
Very interesting stuff. Good work SS. I'd be interested to see where Mohammad Yousuf would rank now if you have the time.
Sure, coming up (then I'll take a bit of a break LOL). Batting and bowling combined, thats a LOT of time looking up stats.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dasa said:
Done. But also remember he falls in the same category as Dravid and Ponting.

If Gavaskar had retired earlier, he would have ended up as like #4.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Done. But also remember he falls in the same category as Dravid and Ponting.

If Gavaskar had retired earlier, he would have ended up as like #4.
Brilliant effort, take a well-deserved break. Will be fascinated to see how this evolves over time, with the adding of the likes of the 3 Ws, and Kallis who (despite me not being a massive fan) would rate highly here I think.