• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Australian XI game

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah. Pattinson too low for mine. Pattinson fit easily makes Aus E and maybe even D, just on his record so far.
Bichs getting shafted with the permanent 12th man role, & Patto not getting selected when he rightfully should runs pretty parallel with Australia's selection policies anyway.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Whitty was the one name that I didnt anticipate would get picked as early as he did. Not really a cricketer I would have thought of - nice record though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Also, Im curious.. How do people make their picks? Did anyone decide to name their own personal XIs or create an ordered list and just pick the best player they had listed?Or was it always a case of gut selection/general knowledge with some quick research to decide when its a tough choice.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For the batting I did a lot of statsguru-ing, gut selection and copying what other people were doing.

Bowling, which I am much more knowledgeable about, was almost entirely personal bias choice, aside from looking up the list of test players to remember who existed.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
For me, I was just picking who I thought was the best available for said position.

I think we churned out some good teams that are bang on most of the time. Toshack should've been picked earlier though imo

Teuton

International Captain
I look through test stats then combine with what I have read about them to get a big list more or less

Flametree

International 12th Man
I have a sad knowledge of folk's test records... I would create my own xi based on the players available and choose them for the spots available. Came a cropper sometimes when the team formation chosen didn't match mine (eg, both Australia and England's first xi's have one more seam bowler than I think is needed...).

Curious how the last team ended up with two offspinners. Seems to be lacking a pace bowler. I doubt too many people picked Miller for his seam-uppers....

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I had a choice between Laver and Yardley and went for the guy who I thought contributed more. Tom Moody and the fact that Miller could actually bowl seamers meant that I was fine with the extra spinning option.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
What were the biggest surprises on you end Nufan? We're there any players in particular you thought got picked too early/late?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I mentioned Whitty earlier as a surprise pick. I also didnt expect Oldfield ahead of Tallon who I thought had finished his career as the best Aussie keeper.

Ian Johnson was picked quite late, I had to double check that he hadnt been picked when he started getting nominated. I also thought that Stuart Clark would have been picked earlier, even though I dont mind where he was picked. Law making it from 1 Test is probably lucky too.

But hey, there were 176 selections, I really like the teams.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I love Law the QLD Sheffield Shield captain but I stand by the probably lucky comment. If he makes say 24 instead of the 54no vs. a weak SL bowling attack, I dont think he makes it so that one particular innings has meant a lot.

Just my opinion, I get why he was picked.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I mentioned Whitty earlier as a surprise pick. I also didnt expect Oldfield ahead of Tallon who I thought had finished his career as the best Aussie keeper.

Ian Johnson was picked quite late, I had to double check that he hadnt been picked when he started getting nominated. I also thought that Stuart Clark would have been picked earlier, even though I dont mind where he was picked. Law making it from 1 Test is probably lucky too.

But hey, there were 176 selections, I really like the teams.
I had always thought Oldfield was Australia's greatest keeper, perhaps with Healy. Tallon was obviously great too but benefitted from Bradman's endorsement.

Oldfield spent his career keeping to some pretty impressive spinners such as Mailey, Grimmett, OReilly and Fleetwood-Smith, and from all accounts was a true great up at the stumps.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Top 4 Australian wicketkeepers on keeping ability alone would have to be Blackham, Oldfield, Tallon & Healy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia XI:
1. VT Trumper
2. ML Hayden
3. DG Bradman *
4. GS Chappell
5. AR Border
6. KR Miller
7. AC Gilchrist +
8. RR Lindwall
9. SK Warne
10. DK Lillee
11. GD McGrath
Australia A XI
1. AR Morris
2. RB Simpson
3. RT Ponting
4. RN Harvey
5. SPD Smith
6. SR Waugh *
7. IA Healy +
8. AK Davidson
9. JN Gillespie
10. WJ Reilly
11. FR Spofforth
Australia B XI
1. WM Lawry
2. WH Ponsford
3. C Hill
4. SJ McCabe
5. MJ Clarke *
6. KD Walters
7. RW Marsh +
8. MG Johnson
9. CBT Turner
10. CV Grimmett
11. JR Thomson
Australia C XI
1. WM Woodfull
2. JL Langer
3. CG Macartney
4. AL Hassett
5. MEK Hussey
6. MA Noble
7. RB Benaud *
8. WAS Oldfield +
9. RJ Harris
10. GD McKenzie
11. WA Johnston
Australia D XI
1. DA Warner
2. SG Barnes
3. IM Chappell *
4. DR Martyn
5. ME Waugh
6. WW Armstrong
7. JM Gregory
8. D Tallon +
9. H Trumble
10. CJ McDermott
11. TM Alderman
Australia E XI
1. MA Taylor *
2. W Bardsley
3. DC Boon
4. NCL O'Neill
5. DM Jones
6. J Ryder
7. G Giffen
8. JM Blackham +
9. MG Hughes
10. SCG MacGill
11. BA Reid
Australia F XI
1. MJ Slater
2. A Jackson
3. IR Redpath
4. RM Cowper
5. DS Lehmann *
6. SR Watson
7. BJ Haddin +
8. B Lee
9. JR Hazlewood
10. NM Lyon
11. JJ Ferris
Australia G XI
1. WA Brown
2. HL Collins *
3. GN Yallop
4. KJ Hughes
5. SM Katich
6. WL Murdoch
7. GJ Gilmour
8. MA Starc
9. ATW Grout +
10. EA McDonald
11. H Ironmonger
Australia H XI
1. KR Stackpole
2. CC McDonald
3. BC Booth *
4. PJP Burge
5. VS Ransford
6. C Kelleway
7. H Carter +
8. DW Fleming
9. WJ Whitty
10. AA Mailey
11. RM Hogg
Australia I XI
1. RA Duff
2. JHW Fingleton
3. KC Wessels
4. UT Khawaja
5. AG Kippax
6. CL McCool
7. PR Reiffel
8. JJ Kelly +
9. MHN Walker
10. GF Lawson *
11. GE Palmer
Australia J XI
1. J Darling *
2. CLJ Rogers
3. GS Blewett
4. R Edwards
5. AC Voges
6. A Symonds
7. RG Archer
8. GRA Langley +
9. SR Clark
10. AN Connolly
11. JV Saunders
Australia K XI
1. RB McCosker
2. GR Marsh
3. FA Iredale
4. PS McDonnell *
5. SG Law
6. KD Mackay
7. WB Phillips +
8. A Cotter
9. PM Siddle
10. AA Mallett
11. ERH Toshack
Australia L XI
1. PA Jaques
2. C Bannerman
3. SE Marsh
4. BJ Hodge
5. DW Hookes *
6. GRJ Matthews
7. HV Horden
8. JL Pattinson
9. BN Jarman +
10. G Dymock
11. LS Pascoe
Australia M XI
1. GM Wood

2. PJ Hughes
3. AP Sheahan
4. GM Ritchie
5. SE Gregory *
6. MG Bevan
7. TD Paine +
8. NJN Hawke
9. AG Hurst
10. CG Rackemann
11. JB Iverson
Australia N XI
1. MTG Elliott
2. BM Laird
3. JW Burke
4. MJ North
5. JM Taylor
6. SJE Loxton
7. LV Maddocks +
8. PJ Cummins
9. IWG Johnson *
10. BW Hilfenhaus
11. E Jones
Australia O XI
1. AMJ Hilditch

2. AC Bannerman
3. ML Love
4. P Toohey
5. GJ Cosier
6. TM Moody
7. PM Nevill +
8. B Yardley
9. MS Kasprowicz
10. CR Miller
11. WM Clark
Maybe we should have a discussion thread for all of these different teams but curious to know if anyone is feeling Smith and Warner are a little high if they never play again or in the rightful place?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
FTR I would swap Smith & McCabe, and swap Warner for Jackson.

Other than that, Frank Laver could, and should, have made one of these teams. Possibly at the expense of Moody.

But yeah, a discussion/comparison thread would be fascinating.