• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
It's not like the other bowlers wouldn't average bad if they didn't get helpful conditions for their bowling.
mate all those bowlers still did something of note away. And didnt become useless fifth option part timers.

also all those bowlers did not benefit this much at home like jadeja and ashwin have.Their stats even have the advantage of more home games then away in comparison to other bowlers.

these two are best 26 and 29 averaging bowlers. But they make India’s atg due to their batting which other spinners who averaged the same didnt have

Xix2565

International Debutant
Jadeja is useless away from home in tests. His record is grossly inflated by the dustbowls in India. If we remove the pre covered/post covered split (I wont for rational reasons), Mankad or someone might slot in as the spinning AR.
Lol citing rational reasons and saying people's records are inflated without even considering the context they played in. Imagine being so limited.

Xix2565

International Debutant
mate all those bowlers still did something of note away. And didnt become useless fifth option part timers.

also all those bowlers did not benefit this much at home like jadeja and ashwin have.Their stats even have the advantage of more home games then away in comparison to other bowlers.

these two are best 26 and 29 averaging bowlers. But they make India’s atg due to their batting which other spinners who averaged the same didnt have
I mean which of them were as successful home and away though, accounting for conditions? And which of them is as good of a batter as Jadeja? Bring some actual evidence and not just stupid analyses please.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Lol citing rational reasons and saying people's records are inflated without even considering the context they played in. Imagine being so limited.
what part of Jadeja playing more home than away games + averaging 36 away with the ball not fit the context youre asking for mate? He isnt limited, you are, by backing a player without giving statistical reasoning back as to why his numbers are like that

Xix2565

International Debutant
what part of Jadeja playing more home than away games + averaging 36 away with the ball not fit the context youre asking for mate? He isnt limited, you are, by backing a player without giving statistical reasoning back as to why his numbers are like that
That it's not a mark against him like you want to believe for some reason? I thought we were discussing AT Asian XI not AT Asian XI to tour England/Australia/WI/NZ/South Africa lol. Jadeja gives a different spin option while still being a handy bat, while someone like Kapil is basically redundant. I wouldn't mind adding Ashwin as well here as an option but he can't fit into the XI.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
That it's not a mark against him like you want to believe for some reason? I thought we were discussing AT Asian XI not AT Asian XI to tour England/Australia/WI/NZ/South Africa lol. Jadeja gives a different spin option while still being a handy bat, while someone like Kapil is basically redundant. I wouldn't mind adding Ashwin as well here as an option but he can't fit into the XI.
Shockingly, touring is a big part of tests, and away performance is important.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't say it's more important than playing at home, where you're going to play most of the time.
Actually, since Jadeja’s debut, India have played 47 tests at home and 56 tests away. Jadeja only plays more tests at home (40/47 vs 25/56) because he is so much worse away.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Actually, since Jadeja’s debut, India have played 47 tests at home and 56 tests away. Jadeja only plays more tests at home (40/47 vs 25/56) because he is so much worse away.
I see we have decided that Jadeja has never been injured in Test matches, among other contextual information. What's next, Murali always chucked?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I see we have decided that Jadeja has never been injured in Test matches, among other contextual information. What's next, Murali always chucked?
Obviously he’s been injured. So? Obviously he’s also not been selected far more than at home since he’s also obviously a much worse player away than at home and as I pointed out and you so clearly ignored, touring is a huge part of cricket and being good away just as if not more important than being home (i feel this is an obvious fact that shouldn’t need to be stated but apparently does).

I thought we were discussing AT Asian XI not AT Asian XI to tour England/Australia/WI/NZ/South Africa lol.
Honestly your point here is so backwards. If anything Jadeja should just be in a “Home Conditions” ATG Asian XI, not in contention for the overall team.

number11

State 12th Man
To bring the thread back to topic, I think its a reasonable position to say 7 players are automatic picks:

Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Sachin, Gavaskar, Sangakarra and Murali.

The debate is about the other places and the combination to be played.

Objectively, this is a great position to be in. Most of the team picks itself.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
To bring the thread back to topic, I think its a reasonable position to say 7 players are automatic picks:

Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Sachin, Gavaskar, Sangakarra and Murali.

The debate is about the other places and the combination to be played.

Objectively, this is a great position to be in. Most of the team picks itself.
Lol Dravid is a lock.

number11

State 12th Man
Honestly the hardest pick is the wkt keeper. There is not a standout keeper given that the best glovemen were not great batsmen. And making Sanga keep reduces his batting returns.

That and the choice to play 2 AR or 1. If its 1 its obviously Imran Khan. If you want 5-1-2-3 with 2 AR you may pick Dev but he is no where near the top 5 bowlers Asia has produced. One could do 5 bats, wkt, then 5 bowlers including Imran.

That raises the Q of who is the 2nd best spinner to pair with Murali? I myself would opt for another quick but many wouldn't.

Assume [for arguments sake] the first XI is: [edit as you wish, both names and formation].

Gavaskar
Dravid
Younis Khan
Tendulkar
Sangakarra
Imran Khan *
Dhoni +
Wasim
Waqar
Murali
Akhtar

I do think that is the 5 best bats, best AR, best spinner and best quicks. MSD gets in for his in-game understanding, ok batting.

What would a 2nd XI be?