• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akram for Hampshire?

masterblaster

International Captain
With Shane Warne being banned for 12 months, Hampshire have been said to be interested in great Pakistani pace bowler Wasim Akram

I think it will be a great move, as he is experienced enough and obviously a legend in his own right.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Whilst on the subject of rumours, Warwickshire are waiting on who replaces Warne as number 1 spinner before comfirming thier second overseas player, but it is expected to be an Aussie according to the club.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well from what I've heard it's doubtful that Akram will be joining Hampshire as they have denied that they have signed a contract with him and, in fact, keep saying they haven't chosen a replacement yet.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I hope not.

He is not the player he was and I'm afraid I feel there are better options out there. We should get another Aussie, they always kick ass in the county championship!!

Certainly though this will hurt are chances (losing Warne). :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
I dont think Warnes absence will hurt Hampshire too much. I reckon they could get far more value out of an Aussie batsman. They score shedloads of runs even if they cant break into the team, we have seen so many examples, so Hamshire should be able to repeat it..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
They've already got Katich who's an Aussie batsman...

They need a bowler or all-rounder, that's what they have been missing, Johnson lost a lot of bowling ability during his spell...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh yes I forgot about the two overseas players rule. Should be good, although I would love to see some players other than Aussie right handers who are soo good they would walk into any England team...Just for a bit of a change.
And we have got a load of mediocre South Africans (Pieterson aside) who cant get in the test team back home, and would rather be payed in Sterling..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm looking forward to seeing Shahid Afridi playing for Derbyshire.

I can just imagine - mid April, scraping the frost off his car windscreen, driving to the County ground, having to negotiate the 'Pentagon' roundabout three times because he can't find Chaddesden road, blowing on his hands, drinks at 12.30 (soup), snow stopped play.

I love cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh, If Afridi doesnt have his car for some reason, I would love to see him try and get a taxi from the County ground! :!( :!( :!( :!(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Oh, If Afridi doesnt have his car for some reason, I would love to see him try and get a taxi from the County ground! :!( :!( :!( :!(
Yep, that's the difference between Taunton and Derby.

In Derby, you ask the taxi driver to pick you up from the County Ground and they say "where's that, miduk?" You then say "The Racecourse" and you get no reply. Finally, you say "Nottingham Road". The reply is "Oh, you mean Trent Bridge?"

In Taunton you ring up and ask for a taxi to pick you up from the County Ground, Taunton and the reply is "Ar, but whaaat be a taaaxi?"

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Whilst on the subject of rumours, Warwickshire are waiting on who replaces Warne as number 1 spinner before comfirming thier second overseas player, but it is expected to be an Aussie according to the club.
So that would indicate you want an Aussie spinner, so:-

- Warne Out
- MacGill - Notts
- Hogg - Leics.

You have the young QLD spinner Hauritz but other than that not a great deal that Warwickshire don't already have so, that only leaves you a certain Canada All-Rounder in John Davison.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Rich2001 said:
So that would indicate you want an Aussie spinner, so:-

- Warne Out
- MacGill - Notts
- Hogg - Leics.

You have the young QLD spinner Hauritz but other than that not a great deal that Warwickshire don't already have so, that only leaves you a certain Canada All-Rounder in John Davison.
Hogg's at Leics? I didn't know that.

Rich2001

International Captain
Derbyshire: MJ di Venuto (Aus) & NJ Astle (NZ)

Durham: ML Love (Aus) & D Pretorius (SA)

Essex: A Flower (Zim) & SA Brant (Aus)

Glamorgan: MJ Kasprowicz (Aus) & ?????????

Gloucestershire: IJ Harvey (Aus) & JN Rhodes (SA)

Hampshire: ??????????? & SM Katich (Aus)

Kent: A Symonds (Aus) & ?????????????

Lancashire: SG Law (Aus) & Harbhajan Singh (Ind)

Leicestershire: V Sehwag (Ind) & BJ Hodge (Aus)

Middlesex: Abdur Razzaq (Pak) & AA Noffke (Aus)

Northamptonshire: MEK Hussey (Aus) & A Nel (SA)

Nottinghamshire: CL Cairns (NZ) & SCG MacGill (Aus)

Somerset: J Cox (Aus) & NAM McLean (WI)

Surrey: Saqlain Mushtaq (Pak) & Azhar Mahmood (Pak)

Sussex: MW Goodwin & Mushtaq Ahmed (Pak)

Warwickshire: SE Bond (NZ) & ???????????

Worcestershire: AJ Hall (SA) & M Hayward (SA)

Yorkshire: DS Lehmann (Aus) tbc MTG Elliott (Aus)