• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Gilchrist v Andy Flower

Adam Gilchrist v Andy Flower - who do you rate higher

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
How many of Andy Flower's 63 Tests did you see?

I'll go Gilchrist for both one dayers and tests, just because of the whole impact of Gilchrist. He could change a game in a session and did so on numerous occasions.
If you're talking about impact that Flower definitely made more of a impact to Zimbabwe than Gilchrist did/does to Australia, I still think Gilchrist is more exciting to watch though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Impact is overated. Flower could rebuild an innings, which is so much more important imo.
It might be overated if you enjoy draws, but on numerous occasions Gilly has produced an innings which has given the bowlers enough time to get the opposition out. Flower was great too, I've just decided to go with Gilchrist.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also I dislike the fact how the irrelevant third option is creeping into CC polls, keep it in OT I say.

McEvil!!

Banned
Gilchrist. The better batter in both forms of the game. The fact that he averaged more than 50 for batting the way he has is amazing. Not just a senseless blaster, but a demolisher. By that I mean, he didn't go out there swinging. He could rescue a test match and do it in his own way.

Tests:

Gilchrist: 49 @ 82 SR
Flower: 52 @ 45 SR

I take the dominant SR over the minuscule average anyday. Especially when you consider for most of his career Gilchrist was above 50 and has more test matches above 50 than Flower did in his career.

And let's factor in the wicket-keeping: Gilchrist.
Disagree with strike-rate factor, but Gilly is a better keeper and Flower failed to make an impact in Australia so Gilly for me

Craig

World Traveller
Depends on the type of beer.

Flower was more talented the Gilchrist, and in the right envronment he would've been the better player IMO, but Gilchrist has one of (if not the) best team environments around him.
That is something I won't give you (piss of Voltman, Cameron and everybody else).

It would be picked from a hat of what beer it would be.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah but of course he was going to vote for Gilchrist. In that I mean it was rather predictable.
He is the better player. The decision wasn't swayed too much by my idolisation of him, I genuinely think he is better than Flower.

Mermaidman

Cricket Spectator
Chalk and Cheese really the are good in different ways, Flower is the better allround batsman who could handle most pressure situations I mean look how bad Zimbabwe were and how much he held them together whereas Gilchrist was in the most successful team since the West Indies 80's team. He was less inclined to have serious pressure put on him (ok there were occasions but not many). However Gilchrist is by far the best Wicketkeeper of the pair, Flowers keeping was sometimes questionable.