• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers vs Younis Khan

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I kinda get what sub is saying. Wasim was fantastic, but wasim had every asset you could ever ask for aside from another 10-20CM/slightly higher release point and could use them well, all from a left arm angle. When I hear that I think of someone who should he statistically contesting mcgrath/Marshall for best pacer ever, not just "another ATG."

FYI, understand that wasim has a ton of people saying he's that good and if you look closer at his numbers he probably holds up better, but his assets and ability to use them sound like a 21 bowling average, not a 23.5/24.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Wasim rarely delivered? A lot of people outside cw have him in their all time XI. Can't be delivering more than that.
Just look at his record. Skillwise he was better than McGrath and almost on par with Marshall. But his record are way worse than them.

And not to talk about his batting. He should have been what Imran Khan became. But I guess talent only goes so far. You gotta put up work also.

BazBall21

International Regular
Wasim probably had more weapons but McGrath was perfect for tests. Very high release point, extremely accurate and got seam movement that allowed the ball to angle away from the batsman. His extra bounce also meant cutting the ball back in could be lethal too. He even had a nasty bouncer which gets underrated because he wasn't high pace.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just look at his record. Skillwise he was better than McGrath and almost on par with Marshall. But his record are way worse than them.

And not to talk about his batting. He should have been what Imran Khan became. But I guess talent only goes so far. You gotta put up work also.
He took 400 wickets @23.5 and was an above average #8. FFS he averaged 22 with the bat in fc aswell. It's not like he had a hadlee/Marshall esque fc average.

subshakerz

International Coach
I kinda get what sub is saying. Wasim was fantastic, but wasim had every asset you could ever ask for aside from another 10-20CM/slightly higher release point and could use them well, all from a left arm angle. When I hear that I think of someone who should he statistically contesting mcgrath/Marshall for best pacer ever, not just "another ATG."

FYI, understand that wasim has a ton of people saying he's that good and if you look closer at his numbers he probably holds up better, but his assets and ability to use them sound like a 21 bowling average, not a 23.5/24.
Wasim was my favorite bowler growing up, and he lacked nothing in talent. However, he did lack in hunger, you could clearly see times when he was just phoning in a performance, and he got away with it a lot since batsmen often played him out rather than attacked him out of respect for his wizardry. He admitted as much in his biography that on tough pitches he would go into outside off robo mode sometimes.

subshakerz

International Coach
Wasim probably had more weapons but McGrath was perfect for tests. Very high release point, extremely accurate and got seam movement that allowed the ball to angle away from the batsman. His extra bounce also meant cutting the ball back in could be lethal too. He even had a nasty bouncer which gets underrated because he wasn't high pace.
If McGrath played his career with home in Pakistan, he would have ended up with a 23/24 career average likely at the very least. Simply because the pitches there are so dull that if you can't get natural lateral movement and good reverse you will be blunted.

That was my impression seeing McGrath in a couple series there in the nineties. I got a similar impression when Mohd. Asif played in Pakistan.

Last edited: