• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers vs Younis Khan

Who was the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I voted AB thinking it was all format based on the OP's post, would change to younis for just red ball.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
This is a really tough one actually. I can’t split them. They’re pretty different players.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
De Villiers was lucky to come in at 5 behind the most stacked batting line up in the world. Younis just suffers from not having enough people hyping up his clutch daddy tons.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
De Villiers was lucky to come in at 5 behind the most stacked batting line up in the world. Younis just suffers from not having enough people hyping up his clutch daddy tons.
Good points. Younis probably would have averaged a lot more if he got to bat after Smith, Amla, and Kallis.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Good points. Younis probably would have averaged a lot more if he got to bat after Smith, Amla, and Kallis.
Definitely, and if it was as simple as this, Younis should be winning comfortably.

AB was forced to open (out of position) for a chunk of the start of his career. And he had pretty crap batting above him for the last few years. I think it somewhat evens out, if not completely.

He also had some horrific home conditions to bat in relative to Younis. ABs away stats are fantastic, and if you exclude minnows, which a lot of people do, they start to get ridiculous.

Anyways, too close for me to cast a vote. Different bats.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Definitely, and if it was as simple as this, Younis should be winning comfortably.

AB was forced to open (out of position) for a chunk of the start of his career. And he had pretty crap batting above him for the last few years. I think it somewhat evens out, if not completely.

He also had some horrific home conditions to bat in relative to Younis. ABs away stats are fantastic, and if you exclude minnows, which a lot of people do, they start to get ridiculous.

Anyways, too close for me to cast a vote. Different bats.
WI were minnows in his time and he bashed them a lot

Actually in only 3 countries he averages 50+ in only 3 countries.

Last edited:

Bolo.

WI were minnows in his time and he bashed them a lot
Traditionally, only Zim and Bangladesh are minnows. If you want to exclude WI as well, cool. They were poor in his time.

He still averages 40+ in every country, and 50+ away. Tendy and him alone (if you want to disregard minnows).

BazBall21

International Regular
West Indies weren't exactly minnows but I tend to consider them an uncompetitive bowling side around then.

Bolo.

West Indies weren't exactly minnows but I tend to consider them an uncompetitive bowling side around then.
Fair enough, especially during ABs career. They were really poor for most of it. He was still super good away from the vicious home wickets though.

BazBall21

International Regular
Fair enough, especially during ABs career. They were really poor for most of it. He was still super good away from the vicious home wickets though.
Think in this comparison a lot of people will feel almost a sense of loyalty to Younis because he was a humble stalwart in test cricket while AB, the more talented and flashier of the two, didn't always see test cricket as a priority it seems and finished a lot earlier age-wise while Younis got out every last drop of ability he had. But for me, De Villiers is clearly the better cross-conditions bat on resume as well as skill and has enough longevity to win this. It's not like Younis is going up against Pietersen who played for less than a decade. AB did have a notably good cushion, but be careful what you wish for given the home wickets he had.

Bolo.

Think in this comparison a lot of people will feel almost a sense of loyalty to Younis because he was a humble stalwart in test cricket while AB, the more talented and flashier of the two, didn't always see test cricket as a priority it seems and finished a lot earlier age-wise while Younis got out every last drop of ability he had. But for me, De Villiers is clearly the better cross-conditions bat on resume as well as skill and has enough longevity to win this. It's not like Younis is going up against Pietersen who played for less than a decade. AB did have a notably good cushion, but be careful what you wish for given the home wickets he had.
Younis was much more than a humble stalwart. The fact that he never got his dues does not change the fact that he was a total boss for a very long time.

BazBall21

International Regular
Younis was much more than a humble stalwart. The fact that he never got his dues does not change the fact that he was a total boss for a very long time.
I meant humble stalwart as a quirky compliment tbh. I meant he was humble in nature. If he wasn't a lot more than that, we wouldn't be having this comparison.

Last edited: