• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Wasteman Xi - Tribute to slippy

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this why he chose Aus over WI (or England? -surely you don't mean them but undefeated in Ashes since 2001 at home - so maybe) ;)
huh? You think the only reason someone chooses which country they represent is that they have the best chance to get a game for them? Of course he would have got a lot more game time if he decided to stay in England but he's Australian and he wanted to play for Australia. Weird from you.

Wasn't Symonds even dropped from Aus when SA beat them at home when Aus were already crap: Langer, Warne, Martyn, McGrath reitred, and Gilchrist old/exposed and retired; ditto Hayden?
Lol they were still the best team in the world. They beat SA on the return leg in 2009 comfortably. It wasn't until 2010 they dropped below no. 1. Of course they weren't as good as they were pre-2007, but no one was.

Anyway as I said, career probably ended a few years earlier than it needed to. He spent his best years (2003-2007) barely in the frame for selection. He wasn't the only one.

There's inaccuracies, and then there's inaccuracies. Symonds test career is not as impressive as his ODI career. No matter how you try to sell it.
ok? Isn't that the point?\

edit: also he was clearly more suited to One-Day cricket. Even if he spent all his best years as a regular in the Test side his ODI career will probably have looked better. His Test stats (read: average) would probably have been the same anyway, just over a longer period.

Last edited:

vcs

huh? You think the only reason someone chooses which country they represent is that they have the best chance to get a game for them? Of course he would have got a lot more game time if he decided to stay in England but he's Australian and he wanted to play for Australia. Weird from you.

Lol they were still the best team in the world. They beat SA on the return leg in 2009 comfortably. It wasn't until 2010 they dropped below no. 1. Of course they weren't as good as they were pre-2007, but no one was.

Anyway as I said, career probably ended a few years earlier than it needed to. He spent his best years (2003-2007) barely in the frame for selection. He wasn't the only one.

edit: also he was clearly more suited to One-Day cricket. Even if he spent all his best years as a regular in the Test side his ODI career will probably have looked better. His Test stats (read: average) would probably have been the same anyway, just over a longer period.
I think India got No. 1 when they beat SL 2-0 at home in 2009. I distinctly remember that because I'd just joined here, and everyone was ****ting on India for holding the ranking undeservedly (not much has changed LOL).

Anyway, their aura of invincibility was well and truly pricked when they lost to India in the 2008 tour, and then SA beat them in Australia, and that was officially the end of the era of dominance. Even in the series before and after that, like WI/NZ etc. they did not look very convincing. They did play outstanding cricket in that 2009 SA tour though. Then they probably played better than England in the Ashes in 2009 and lost again.

trundler

I think Symonds had a lot of talent that wasn't fulfilled but he is replaceable. Who would you replace him with?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Dude, Australia last won in England in 2001. They lost at home in 2010/11. What are you smoking mon? England has the better history in Ashes contest since the test career of Symonds. Seriously...

:laugh:

You're clearly a proud Australian cricket fan, and that's great, they were a fabulous team but lets not pretend like Clive Lloyd's/Viv's teams or previous Aussie teams couldn't win games in England or India or in the WI - let alone see off SA at home a year or so later.

Last edited:

trundler

Yeah, it hasn't. You're still making too many threads and we're still not taking them seriously.

TheJediBrah

Dude, Australia last won in England in 2001. They lost at home in 2010/11. What are you smoking mon? England has the better history in Ashes contest since the test career of Symonds. Seriously...
how is this relevant to anything we've been discussing? I just can't figure you out sometimes

You're clearly a proud Australian cricket fan, and that's great, they were a fabulous team but lets not pretend like Clive Lloyd's/Viv's teams or previous Aussie teams couldn't win games in England or India or in the WI - let alone see off SA at home a year or so later.
Again, how is this relevant? Come on man, why does every discussion with you veer off into some irrelevant way to dis Australia?

cnerd123

likes this
Does Kombucha really do anything or is just one of those things that only people on keto swinging kettle bells around swear by.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Does Kombucha really do anything or is just one of those things that only people on keto swinging kettle bells around swear by.
As far as I'm concerned, the latter. My theory is its not really a health drink, more a less-unhealthy option when I'd otherwise buy a coke or something.