• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Tribute to Anil Kumble-For Completing 100 Tests

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
:-O

You're the first Lankan I know that doesn't rate Murali at least, 2nd in the world. What's your reason for thinking MacGill is better than Murali?
Because he is!!!! It's been argued in other threads. go read it

Slats4ever

C_C said:
Point is, Kumble is within touching distance of Warne-Murali while Kaneria/Vettori would have to improve by a few magnitudes to get into the same level as Kumble.
But how is that like comparing steve waugh to lara and tendulkar. It might be in your opinion but it doesn't mean it's gospel

Dasa

There's one obvious reason you guys are missing as to why MacGill is better than Kumble.

MacGill is Australian.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Deja moo said:
hahaha. Try making a funny joke next time.
What are you talking about Deja, of course MacGill is better than not only Kumble, but Murali as well. I mean, look at these awesome figures on a spinning Sydney wicket. 1/211. Compare that to the merely 'good' bowler Kumble, who mind you can't play outside India, and gets match figures of 12/279.

I know who I'd rather have in my team. 8-)

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
But how is that like comparing steve waugh to lara and tendulkar. It might be in your opinion but it doesn't mean it's gospel
Never said it was gospel. However, an opinion based on facts is merely more factually correct opinion!
8-)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
:-O

You're the first Lankan I know that doesn't rate Murali at least, 2nd in the world. What's your reason for thinking MacGill is better than Murali?
He said so on the basis Current performances and he is not far off.

Slats4ever

Jono said:
What are you talking about Deja, of course MacGill is better than not only Kumble, but Murali as well. I mean, look at these awesome figures on a spinning Sydney wicket. 1/211. Compare that to the merely 'good' bowler Kumble, who mind you can't play outside India, and gets match figures of 12/279.

I know who I'd rather have in my team. 8-)
What are you talking about Jon, of course McGrath is better than not only Hayden, but Stephen Fleming as well. I mean, look at these awesome figures on a batting paradise in Brisbance. 61. Compare that to the "great" batsman Fleming and Hayden, who had a combined total of 8 between them.

Slats4ever

Deja moo said:
hahaha. Try making a funny joke next time.
huh? i wasn't trying to make a joke. But if you want me to joke maybe post a jokes thread or something in off topic then i'd try to make a joke

Slats4ever

Dasa said:
There's one obvious reason you guys are missing as to why MacGill is better than Kumble.

MacGill is Australian.
And the fact that his statistics are superior to Kumble's in arguably the most important categories, you single minded twerp.

Slats4ever

C_C said:
Never said it was gospel. However, an opinion based on facts is merely more factually correct opinion!
8-)
but still how is it like comparing steve waugh to lara and tendulkar... explain it. I mean I'm sure there must be logic there that I'm not seeing...
In my opinion steve waugh was streets away from lara...does that mean that kumble is streets away from warne and murali.

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
What are you talking about Jon, of course McGrath is better than not only Hayden, but Stephen Fleming as well. I mean, look at these awesome figures on a batting paradise in Brisbance. 61. Compare that to the "great" batsman Fleming and Hayden, who had a combined total of 8 between them.
So you seriously think that McGill is a better bowler than Kumble....riiiiiight!

Slats4ever

make an argument otherwise. statistically he is more sound than kumble.... so where do you find an argument other than saying "riiiiight"?

I mean heck McGill just took 9/82 against the best batsman in the world in the super series... It's hard to say that a player like that can't be classed at least in the same category as Kumble.

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
make an argument otherwise. statistically he is more sound than kumble.... so where do you find an argument other than saying "riiiiight"?

I mean heck McGill just took 9/82 against the best batsman in the world in the super series... It's hard to say that a player like that can't be classed at least in the same category as Kumble.

1. McGill's record is worse than Kumble, despite Kumble having played far more than McGill has.

2. McGill's record is worse than Kumble, despite McGill having a far better bowling attack to back him up

3. Against the best teams in spin, McGill is woeful against them - Kumble is significantly better.

4. McGill lacks a) variety and b) accuracy of Kumble and the only thing he has is big turn to pick off batsmen- which is why he has rarely suceeded against good batsmen against spin.

Seems reasons enough for me but then again, maybe it isnt to some who cannot see past national colors.
8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats4ever said:
Attempted example which fails due to it being a batting example. But hell, if you think one match isn't enough, let's look at the whole series between India and Australia. 4 whole test matches, not just one. MacGill had 14 wickets at a shocking average of 50.78, yet Kumble, who I repeat "is useless outside of India", took 24 wickets at 29.58.

Explain to my why MacGill got belted all around the park that game (and whole series Slats), why could he only get one wicket, whereas Kumble could get 12 in conditions outside of India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats4ever said:

Statistically, Kallis is a better allrounder than Sobers and Hayden is a better batsman than Viv Richards and Steve Waugh. That doesn't make it so does it?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slats4ever said:
In the same category as Kumble? You're claiming he's better than Murali!!!

Deja moo

International Captain
Slats4ever said:

MacGill only bowls in tandem with Warne, except in rare situations (like when Warne is injured/banned). And it doesnt take an Einstein to work out that Australia need to play two spinners only when the wickets gonna take turn.
MacGill gets a shedload of wickets only when Warne plays because he needs someone to tie up the other end for him.What are his figures when Warne isnt playing ? Without the support from a great spinner from the other end, he isnt worth being classed alongwith Kumble, and thats even without considering the wide gulf in experience (which be like saying that Sehwag right now is in the same class as Steve Waugh. Care to dispute that with your stats-based approach ? )

Now, you make an argument, consistent with your line of thought, why MacGill should necessarily be a better bowler than Kaneria.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
He said so on the basis Current performances and he is not far off.
That's exactly right . Thanks for that , Mate !!

On current performances over the World Series/Windies /SLv India series etc . :mellow: