• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A team of 11 spinners !

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
There is also GA Faulkner bowled leg spin for South Africa and took 82 wickets at 26 and scored 1754 runs at 40 and took 20 catches in 25 games. There are a few others if you take out the 100 wicket restrications.
We already have too many leg spinners, we could do with some variety.

I had originally included Jack Iverson but he played only five tests.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Here it is again - much improved thanks to the inputs of Chaminda_00
1 Rhodes
2 Mankad
3 Worrell(captain)
4 Sobers
5 Woolley(keeper)
6 Grieg
7 Noble
8 Benaud
9 Warne
10 O'Rielly
11 Murali
Here a side to play SJS side:
1. V Shewag
2. L Hutton
3. D Bradman
4. S Tendulkar
5. G Pollock
6. A Flower (wk)
7. A Faulkner
8. B Nadkarni
9. H Trumble
10. J Laker
11. C Grimmett

All eleven players bowled spin in Test cricket

Not as strong with the bowl, but a bowling attack lead by Laker, Grimmett and Trumble whould be able to do the job. Faulkner and Nadkarni should be able add the support required. You don't need 11 bowlers :p

A very good batting line up with the top six all averaging over 50. Bradman is probably the difference between the sides, but you can always take him out and put in Headley, Weekes, Dravid , Lara or Barrington.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Here a side to play SJS side:
1. V Shewag
2. L Hutton
3. D Bradman
4. S Tendulkar
5. G Pollock
6. A Flower (wk)
7. A Faulkner
8. B Nadkarni
9. H Trumble
10. J Laker
11. C Grimmett

All eleven players bowled spin in Test cricket....
.... You don't need 11 bowlers :p
Thats cheating !!! :p

Why not include Hobbs in place of Sehwag. Hobbs bowled 61 overs in tests, some of it spin, and Viv Richards who bowled a lot of off spin, and Barry Richards who besides averaging 72.5 with the bat, averaged 26 for the one wicket he took in his four tests bowling off spin !! :p :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Thats cheating !!! :p

Why not include Hobbs in place of Sehwag. Hobbs bowled 61 overs in tests, some of it spin, and Viv Richards who bowled a lot of off spin, and Barry Richards who besides averaging 72.5 with the bat, averaged 26 for the one wicket he took in his four tests bowling off spin !! :p :p
If you want a side where all players bowled more often, then here is a side where all bowlers took atleast 20 wickets, expect the keeper. You took all the top all rounders, so i should be able to pick 'batting all rounders' atleast :p .
1. B Simpson
2. S Jayasuriya
3. V Richards (vc)
4. S Tendulkar
5. K Barrington
6. A Border (c)
7. A Faulkner
8. T Taibu (wk)
9. H Trumble
10. J Laker
11. C Grimmett

Still a strong batting line up, with only Bobby Simpson averaging under 50 in the Top 6. Bowling attack is little weaker without Nadkarni, but Richards, Jayasuriya and Border can share the 5th bowling options.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
If you want a side where all players bowled more often, then here is a side where all bowlers took atleast 20 wickets, expect the keeper. You took all the top all rounders, so i should be able to pick 'batting all rounders' atleast :p .
1. B Simpson
2. S Jayasuriya
3. V Richards (vc)
4. S Tendulkar
5. K Barrington
6. A Border (c)
7. A Faulkner
8. T Taibu (wk)
9. H Trumble
10. J Laker
11. C Grimmett

Still a strong batting line up, with only Bobby Simpson averaging under 50 in the Top 6. Bowling attack is little weaker without Nadkarni, but Richards, Jayasuriya and Border can share the 5th bowling options.
Thats a very good side. The only problem may be who will take the new ball :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Thats a very good side. The only problem may be who will take the new ball :)
Trumble and Grimmett have taken it during their careers, so one of them and Tendulkar, or maybe even both of them. I don't see why two spinners can't take the new ball. :D

Last edited:

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
SJS said:
No I am sorry, he has only 39 wickets in 156 test matches !! That is ONE wicket in FOR matches and just four overs per test.

He didnt bowl. Not enough. There are many with beter analysis but didnt bowl enough.
He was very under used

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of the 164 innings in which he led Aussies on the field, Border did not bowl in 105 !

In fact only in 24 innings (out of 164) did he bowl more than 5 overs. This was surely not someone who considered himself a bowler. And it was not as if Australia were haveing their purple patch under him, they were struggling to come back to the top of world cricket.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
He probably didn't want people to think that he's only bowling because he is captain, it's happened a bit with Ponting too

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lyell_Chris said:
He probably didn't want people to think that he's only bowling because he is captain, it's happened a bit with Ponting too
Thats the sign of a bad captain :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lyell_Chris said:
By the way, his captains showed even less faith in him than he showed himself !!

Playing under others, He bowled only 75 times in 114 innings

AND

only 10 times did he bowl more than 5 overs in an innings !!!

Not surprising since he took only 15 wickets in these 63 test matches !!

Sorry mate. He doesnt qualify !

But then who are we to say that, if Ganguly is an all rounder and can be included in the team for that then........ :p

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
I dont see how it can be concluded that MacGill is greater than Kumble.
Nor that Kumble can be greater than McGill. None of the stats point towards it unfortunately. McGill doesn't only play on turning tracks i think you'll find. He's played tests at Adelaide, WACA and in the Carribean... He hasn't yet played on the turning tracks of India yet. If he had that would "skew" his stats even more.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
McGill doesn't only play on turning tracks i think you'll find. He's played tests at Adelaide, WACA and in the Carribean... He hasn't yet played on the turning tracks of India yet. If he had that would "skew" his stats even more.
Spinning tracks of India does not necessarily mean you will perform well in India as a spinner. Different tracks, different conditions - basically a lot of factors lead to a specific enviroment being suitable or unsuitable for a player.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
it is of my belief that Kumble is highly suited to Indian conditions (whether people see them as spin tracks or not). I also believe that his record on other pitches around the world is poor, thus reflecting on his status.

McGill however is a better rounded bowler, and performs almost equally well at all locations. This proves that he is more than a one-dimensional bowler and in my opinion a superior bowler.