• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A New Zealand XI Who Never Played Tests

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nevin was a Wade/Seifert-tier bad keeper, dropped some incredibly straight forward chances.

Dane Cleaver may well earn a spot in this category if Blundell snaps up Watling's spot, though he's potentially too good a batsman to never play tests.
Fair enough.

Two guys I can think of with awesome records that never played Tests were Warren McSkimming and Andrew Schwass, but that might be ICC talking. In practice they were probably just medium pacers short of Test class. Same goes for Matthew Walker.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
In terms of international regulars who didn't play tests Nathan McCullum is someone who comes to mind, though the fact that he hasn't been mentioned so far tells you all you need to know I suppose :) Glen Sulzberger and Tarun Nethula probably deserve more of a shout when it comes to the spinners.

I remember Craig Cachopa being talked of as a future Black Cap before his move to Sussex (?), after which his career never really recovered. IIRC Johann Myburgh would have been close to test selection once his qualification period ended, again chose to go the county route in 2010.

Among pace bowlers, Andrew Penn seemed to be a regular fixture 'A' sides and though he was carted around in the few ODIs he played, struck me as someone who might have enjoyed the test arena more. Impressive FC and List A stats for sure. Did Lance Hamilton and Graeme Aldridge ever figure in discussions around the test team? They seemed to be among the most consistent wicket-takers of the mid-2000s aside from the usual suspects.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't even know if I was serious about Chandler.

Came across this Glenn Wilkinson dude a while ago, does anyone know why he only played one first class game? As far as luck goes he was pretty low down the list: https://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/38771.html
Wowza, love to hear the story behind this guy. Pair of 50s on debut, one almost a ton, and never plays again.

OK edit, I found a one game wonder excerpt about him - https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...#v=onepage&q=glenn wilkinson cricket&f=false

Good pedigree, played NZ Young Cricketers with Harris, Parore etc. His debut was 2nd to last game of the season, the last game of the season was completely rained out. Started the next season in Wellington squad but sounds like he got shown up by Shane Bond and wasn't picked again.

The Hutt Rec

Wowza, love to hear the story behind this guy. Pair of 50s on debut, one almost a ton, and never plays again.

OK edit, I found a one game wonder excerpt about him - https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...#v=onepage&q=glenn wilkinson cricket&f=false

Good pedigree, played NZ Young Cricketers with Harris, Parore etc. His debut was 2nd to last game of the season, the last game of the season was completely rained out. Started the next season in Wellington squad but sounds like he got shown up by Shane Bond and wasn't picked again.
Wow, that’s an amazing find, nice one! Well that solves that mystery.

Oh and reading that reminds me, add Aaron Gale to the list.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Also Andy Ellis - finished with fc batting av of 35 and bowling of 29. In an alternative cricketing universe he could've been trolling his way through test cricket while CDG was stuck in domestics.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

Nice research!

James

Cricket Web Owner
Millmow's issue was he was a gigantic pea heart. And Erv got caught behind Ian Smith.
I remember watching Millmow with my Dad as a youngster and he was a fantastic bowler for Wellington.

MacSweeney, if it wasn't for Smith, I reckon he would have played a lot of Tests. Very sound gloveman.

The Hutt Rec

probably best that he didn't? or am I mixing him up with some other dodgy bugger :ph34r:
Are you thinking of Roydon Hayes?

Tait always struck me as a bit too straight up and down, and medium paced, to have a successful international career ... but you can't deny his first class record is absolutely outstanding.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
probably best that he didn't? or am I mixing him up with some other dodgy bugger :ph34r:
Yeah, that was Roydon Hayes. A particularly lucky person that he didn't play during the peak internet/social media era. I doubt 99.9% of cricket followers know who he is.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Alex Tait is an interesting one, even his ODI numbers suggest he was worth more of a look. Probably stuck behind the 10 other dibbly dobbler all rounders we had in the side at the time.

And is/was a professional golfer, at least on a domestic level.