• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A New Zealand XI Who Never Played Tests

tony p

First Class Debutant
i thought it was time to see if we could get a New Zealand team that hasn't played Test Cricket.

New Zealand's first test was back in 1929/30 against England, almost their second team as they were also playing the West Indies at the same time.

one major problem i had was that pretty much any player who had a good season, or even just two or three matches was picked, which made it harder than i thought.

a classic example is that in the last 15-18 years, N.Z. have tried numerous opening batsman, with generally poor results, but all played Tests.
Bell, Cumming, Guptill, M Horne, How, P Ingram, R Jones, McIntosh, J Marshall, Papps, Sinclair, and Stead, have all been capped.

My knowledge of recent N.Z. domestic cricket is limited, so if any very recent players are deserving, please put them in your side.

I have picked a twelve, with Three players who played before Test status, four others who mainly played county cricket, and the other Five, who were domestic players.

A NEW ZEALAND XL

Peter Arnold, 8013@27.53, 7 cent.
J (Syd) Hiddleston, 3818@39.77, 8 cent. 86 wts@26.88
Lancelot Hemus, 2916@36.00, 8 cent.
Scott Briasco, 4390@33.25, 6 cent.
Cec Dacre, 12223@29.17, 24 cent.
Ray Hitchcock, 12473@27.84, 13 cent,
Dan Reese, 3182@25.25, 4 cent, 196 wkts@19.86
Chris Nevin, 5058@34.64, 4 cent, Catches 304, Stumpings 9
Gren Alabaster, 3200@23.88, 3 cent, 275 wkts@23.22
Tom Pritchard, 818 wkts@23.30
Cliff Dickeson, 282 wkts@29.22
12th man
John Mcintyre, 336 wkts@23.56.

Arnold played for Northants in the 1950s, opening with Dennis Brookes. he had one season at Canterbury, topping the first-class averages in 1953/54.
Hiddleston and Hemus were two of the best players in the first 25 years of the 1900s
Briasco played throughout the 1980s
Dacre played for Gloucestershire, he made his debut for Auckland as a 15 year old. He toured England in 1927, no tests were played on the tour, decided to qualify for Glos.
Hitchcock played two games for Canterbury, before moving to England and playing for Warwickshire.
Reese was the leading allrounder in the first part of the 1900s
Nevin played one day internationals but no tests
Alabaster looks unlucky, he played between 1955-75, his brother did play for New Zealand
Pritchard played N.Z domestic cricket before the war, played for Warwickshire after, taking 172 wkts in 1948, He was regarded as the fastest bowler in England, just after the war. he lived to be 100 years old, dying in 2017
Dickeson, like Alabaster looks unlucky, a long successful domestic career.

not easy, was going to put Andre Adams in, but he played 1 test., likewise Rodney redmond. Infact N.Z have around 30 players who have played, just 1 test, some of them quite good players to.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's very hard to think of genuinely good players that missed out on Test cap. Most of those seem to be blokes that decided to ditch the Plunket Shield for county cricket (e.g. Pritchard)

Was somewhat surprised New Zealand plumped for Hart over Nevin as their Test keeper after Parore retired.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Greg Hay is an obvious one. 80 FC matches as an opener @43. I'm surprised he never got a chance but is now 43.

Jeff Wilson would've been as good as Chris Cairns but chose rugby. Could've pushed for an all time NZ XI. Bill Carson (died in WW2) was seen as going to be something special as a batting allrounder.

Derek de Boorder was an excellent wicketkeeper batsman who was unfortunate to play in the eras of McCullum and Watling. Dane Cleaver is a current quality keeper but might get a chance in the next 5 years.

There are a number of pace bowlers who could be included. Mitchell McLennaghan and Adam Milne are two with good white ball careers who haven't (and probably won't) play tests.

ataraxia

International Coach
If you count him as a New Zealand player, there's Sydney Smith with 10920 runs at 31.28 and 955 wickets at 18.08.

He spent 7 seasons playing FC cricket for Trinidad, then spent 8 seasons playing for Northamptonshire, before spending 9 seasons playing for Auckland!

Flem274*

123/5
im gonna make the big dick prediction will young won't play a test despite being someone who would have 30 under his belt if this were 2009.

the guy is cursed. was meant to debut, then the terror attacks happened. was gunning for a wc spot but then needed surgery which put him out of that and most of our home summer. came back from injury to covid-19. now has to fend off devon conway and glenn phillips.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
im gonna make the big dick prediction will young won't play a test despite being someone who would have 30 under his belt if this were 2009.

the guy is cursed. was meant to debut, then the terror attacks happened. was gunning for a wc spot but then needed surgery which put him out of that and most of our home summer. came back from injury to covid-19. now has to fend off devon conway and glenn phillips.
If we're going bold predictions, I predict he'll play the next one. Whenever that is. Although that's dependent on Ross not playing again - which if we don't play this summer, is a good chance (presuming of course Bangladesh doesn't happen in August either). I doubt either of us will be right, though.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pleased to see someone taking over the baton for naming sides comprising players who never played Tests. I was comfortable with the Australia and England XIs but struggled initially with South Africa until I received help. To be honest, I wouldn't have had the knowledge or research skills to tackle other Test playing countries.
Thanks tony p!

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
So we're picking forty New Zealand cricketers who never played tests.

Given how weak they were historically, I guess that's fair if they are going to go against other countries' XI's.

morgieb

Greg Hay is an obvious one. 80 FC matches as an opener @43. I'm surprised he never got a chance but is now 43.

Jeff Wilson would've been as good as Chris Cairns but chose rugby. Could've pushed for an all time NZ XI. Bill Carson (died in WW2) was seen as going to be something special as a batting allrounder.

Derek de Boorder was an excellent wicketkeeper batsman who was unfortunate to play in the eras of McCullum and Watling. Dane Cleaver is a current quality keeper but might get a chance in the next 5 years.

There are a number of pace bowlers who could be included. Mitchell McLennaghan and Adam Milne are two with good white ball careers who haven't (and probably won't) play tests.
Hay ****ed himself by not playing FC cricket for 4 years. Still should've gotten a shot over Raval, mind you.

Flem274*

123/5
if he'd started late 2019 with the same runs he was scoring in previous years he would lined up in perth for his turn on the merry go round.

jeet raval was a good choice when he debuted. it looked like he had gotten over his one score per season and a pile of 50s syndrome, plus he has the foundation of a test player unlike many predecessors.

Flem274*

123/5
jordie barrett and israel dagg worth mentions if we're going down the all black meme route. they were serious cricketers before choosing the black jersey.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it's very hard to think of genuinely good players that missed out on Test cap. Most of those seem to be blokes that decided to ditch the Plunket Shield for county cricket (e.g. Pritchard)

Was somewhat surprised New Zealand plumped for Hart over Nevin as their Test keeper after Parore retired.
Nevin was a Wade/Seifert-tier bad keeper, dropped some incredibly straight forward chances.

Dane Cleaver may well earn a spot in this category if Blundell snaps up Watling's spot, though he's potentially too good a batsman to never play tests.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Nevin was a Wade/Seifert-tier bad keeper, dropped some incredibly straight forward chances.
Yeah, he was horrendous at times. Remember a chorus of boos at an Eden Park ODI after he missed multiple catches.

_Ed_

Llorne Howell wasn't bad either, at about the same time. Did vaguely okay in a handful of ODIs.