• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A different kind of test cricket DRAFT

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haynes retired in '94. So you could have this WI '95 XI

I dunno who suits as more of a makeshift opener out of that middle order group but I know Lara did it it a lot in ODIs so threw him up there

Campbell
Lara
Richardson
Chanderpaul
Hooper
Adams
Jacobs
Benjamin
Bishop
Ambrose
Walsh

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Just squeezed through. Can you post the averages after each series?
There might be provision for this but I am not quite familiar with it yet. The way I am running it is that maintaining the same playing conditions and teams and running it as one by one

mr_mister

Sri Lanka 04

Jayasuriya
Dilshan
Sangakkara
Attapattu
Jayawardene
Samaraweera
Hasan Tilakratne
Vaas
Malinga
Herath
Murali

dial back to '02, gain Aravinda but lose Malinga and have to replace with him like Zoysa or some scrub.

Still, formidable

mr_mister

one more of these pointless what-if's because I find them fun

Australia 1926

Woodfull
Ponsford
Bardsley
Macartney
Ryder
Kippax
Gregory
Kelleway
Oldfield
Grimmett
Mailey

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
West Indies 1958 can get you

Conrad Hunte
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott
Frank Worrell
Gary Sobers
Rohan Kanhai
Basil Butcher
Collie Smith

as batsman and

Wes Hall
Roy Gilchrist
Alf Valentine
Lance Gibbs
Sonny Ramadhin

as bowlers

you dial it back to '54 and you get Headley but lose the pacemen, Gibbs and Kanhai.

you push it forward to '59 and you lose Weekes but get Seymor Nurse and a third quick in Charlie Griffiths

WI '58 could definitely whoop the butts of both Pak 92 and SA 04 IMO
Worrell didn't play in 58; and you need to push it on to 60 to get Nurse and Griffith (and to have Worrell and Walcott), but then you lose Gibbs and Gilchrist.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Some updating need to be done before the second match i.e. England 1930 vs West Indies 1979. Hopefully we will start this series tomorrow

mr_mister

Worrell didn't play in 58; and you need to push it on to 60 to get Nurse and Griffith (and to have Worrell and Walcott), but then you lose Gibbs and Gilchrist.
well 58 seems the best then. For a simulator, Weekes and Walcott would be more helpful than Worrell as they averaged a fair bit higher than him

AndrewB

England 1902 was another option I considered: Abel, Hayward, Fry, Ranji, MacLaren, Jackson, Lilley, Rhodes, Lockwood, Barnes, Blythe (with Tyldesley, Hirst, JR Gunn, Jessop and various others all in reserve) - I know they lost both series but they were a little unlucky, the selectors (and injuries) at times didn't help, and some of the XI were past/hadn't reached their peak. (Plus the 1902 Aussie squad was also very strong, with Trumper, Hill, Noble, Armstrong, Trumble etc).

mr_mister

I wanted to go a turn of the century team as well but feel like they would get trounced in a simulator. Trumper was more than just a dude who averaged 38 as we all know but to a simulator, he's a below par bat

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
well 58 seems the best then. For a simulator, Weekes and Walcott would be more helpful than Worrell as they averaged a fair bit higher than him
No of matches are taken into account with average. Say Barry Richards would not make much effect if selected

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Trying to make sense of Javed Miandad's failure in the series. He got only one century and a fifty despite having longevity and average on his side. Probably the playing conditions and quality of SA's pace attack kept him in check big time. Was fully expecting him to take this series into storm.

The Battlers Prince

Test 3 Lineup

The Battlers

1. Shoaib Mohammad
2. Aamer Sohail (5)
3. Saleem Malik
4. Javed Miandad
5. Inzamam Ul-Haq
6. Rameez Raja
7. Imran Khan* (3)
8. Rashid Latif+
9. Wasim Akram (2)
10. Waqar Younis (1)
11. Mushtaq Ahmed (4)
So guys, I think VC4 is more reliable than the previous one,

Suggesting:

1. Fixture remains the same
2. 5 matches will be played between the teams and each winner of the series will advance to 2nd Round and consecutively to Final e.g. I will run 5 matches between SA 2004 and Pak 1992. Winner of the series will advance to 2nd round. After each match, a participant may change his team or batting order from the squad.

Please add if you have any more suggestions.
I suggest that when I changed my team as you said I could, you allow it?

Howe_zat

Audio File
AZH - reckon you should make a new post when you sim a new match instead of editing, so as it's easy to see when there's been a new game.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I suggest that when I changed my team as you said I could, you allow it?
sorry i meant after each round if you advance otherwise it will be too time consuming if everyone wants to change team after one test since we are doing 5 match test series each match. then we have to wait after each test in the series for allowing players to change the team or batting order and it will take forever. once to to round 2, we can change and stick that for another 5 test and so on the same for round 3

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
AZH - reckon you should make a new post when you sim a new match instead of editing, so as it's easy to see when there's been a new game.
yeah will do it otherwise its becoming too clumsy

the battler's prince, i will run your preferred team after the end of the tournament against noble one just to get an idea how it pans out

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah shame that Worrell took two years off Test cricket (anyone know why?), else that would rival the 76-86 WIndian lineup. Certainly has the better batting.