• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A cricket six-hit off?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does Liam have any idea why such a ridiculously substandard player has been persevered with for such a long time? (5 years)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't say that Powell is "ridiculously" substandard. He's certainly talented, but poorly coached. That said, he's played as asked of him 90% of the time in his career to date. His purpose in the West Indies team right now is to go crazy in the last 10 overs.

I await keenly to see whether Dwayne Smith will take this role from him and improve on it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Any estimate of the distance?
The Afridi one was something like 200 yards, I wonder how big the Lee one was.
Afridi certainly has a heavier bat, and a big swing. I've seen Lee make some big hits but I can't imagine he could make one as big as the Astle ones at Christchurch.
Afridi got the ball out of the ground onto the road didn't he? Off John Wood? He was insane. Again I kick myself for loosing that tape :(

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Any estimate of the distance?
The Afridi one was something like 200 yards, I wonder how big the Lee one was.
Afridi certainly has a heavier bat, and a big swing. I've seen Lee make some big hits but I can't imagine he could make one as big as the Astle ones at Christchurch.
It was huge. Tony Greig still say's it's the bigest six he has ever seen and I imagine he has seen a few in his time. (not that I take anything he say's that seriously these days)

I dont know how heavy Lee's bat's are but his batspeed is explosive. I remember him hitting three straigh sixes at the Adelaide oval against South Australia all cleard the boundry by along way to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lee's batspeed is superb - but Afridi's isn't inconsiderable either.:wow:
The hit at Grace Road was a full-blooded, well-timed swing off a ball delivered at 82 mph, and hit by a four-pound bat.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
PY said:
I'm not sure about that to be honest. Some might have made it if not obstructed by buildings. Like Tresco's six landed just short of the balcony at The Oval.

Didn't Beefy hit the commentary box window in or around '81? Or was that someone else?

Difficult to say who hits it the furthest purely because on their day all of the aforementioned players could hit the ball miles. All depends how they time it....
when astle went mad against england (his 222,fastest 200 in history by about 50 balls) in 2001 ( I think)he hit 11 sixes.including 3 in a row.one of them wen t OVER the com box.If you havn't seen it...then bur (or rent) the nathan astle master blaster dvd.it is MAGNIFICENT!!!!

But i think the most consistent hitter of big sixes is chris cairns,or maybe Lance Cairns (retired a good decade ago)who is Chris Cairns father.He hits one armed sixes..and they're big too!

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
the ground that astle made his 222 was soo small! some of the bals that went 4 six in that groud would've been caught at short leg on a normal size ground :P

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let me assure you, some of the sixes Astle hit in that tour (one in the ODI century he made at Dunedin and several in the 222 in the Christchurch Test) would have cleared 50 short-legs on any ground!
The outfield might have had short boundaries in some places, but sixes onto the roof at rugby stadiums are massive hits always. And let me asssure you, these were no exceptions.