• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off-season 2023

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Weatherald has moved to Tas
Odd choice purely from a cricketing POV NGL. Tas have a fairly set opening partnership in ward+jewell atm and SA didn't really have anyone to partner hunt up the top across formats, carder struggled and they where back to picking kelvin smith by the end of the season. Is there an article that goes into more depth around the situation? Feel like it's something non cricket related but maybe he's looking to secure a middle order spot now that mcdermott is reportedly on the way to QLD?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bird heading back to NSW full-time.

He is a quality bowler but I don't really see how he fits, even with Copeland now retired.

Spikey

NSW's "bring them home" nonsense is a lot worse than giving kids games like every other state does

maybe bird isn't being contracted though

morgieb

My only guess is maybe he wanted to head to NSW and we acquised? That probably makes sense. Would be a bit **** if we went after him though. A young-ish decent bat makes sense, an aging bowler doesn't.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Real shame that Weatherald is leaving, always had some time for him. Not sure how exactly he would fit into the Tasmanian team unless he wants to bat lower in the order honestly. That being said though I do wish him good luck down there

No idea whatsoever who will open alongside Hunt, hope there is someone lined up to come in from elsewhere as I am doubtful anyone else currently in the setup can do the job, heard a couple possible names, some I think could be a good addition, some I am very unconvinced about. Watch this space I suppose

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If green continues to make runs for Mumbai at 3 and marsh doesn't get a score this IPL do Australia think about giving green marsh's place in the t20 11 or does marsh stay at 3? Marsh won us a WC but his efforts in the 2022 tournament where pretty poor and he's not really made runs at franchise level since. Not sure about green as a t20 bowler ATM, the skills are definitely there and have shone through at points this IPL season, but he's still a long way off being anything other than a 6th bowler atm.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Weatherald always looked decent but he didn't really seem to improve during his time in the State set-up. He came in as a youngster, was pretty good, but never got any better.
Sadly I have to agree. Certainly has talent but just hasn't been able to kick on and deliver consistently

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If green continues to make runs for Mumbai at 3 and marsh doesn't get a score this IPL do Australia think about giving green marsh's place in the t20 11 or does marsh stay at 3? Marsh won us a WC but his efforts in the 2022 tournament where pretty poor and he's not really made runs at franchise level since. Not sure about green as a t20 bowler ATM, the skills are definitely there and have shone through at points this IPL season, but he's still a long way off being anything other than a 6th bowler atm.
Selectors won’t change

Starfighter

Queensland:

National contract:
Usman Khawaja
Marnus Labuschagne
Michael Neser

State contract:
Xavier Bartlett
James Bazley
Max Bryant
Joe Burns
Jack Clayton
Blake Edwards
Liam Guthrie
Aryan Jain (NEW)
Matthew Kuhnemann
Ben McDermott (NEW)
Jimmy Peirson
Matthew Renshaw
Gurinder Sandhu
Mark Steketee
Bryce Street
Connor Sully
Mitch Swepson
Jack Wildermuth

Rookie contract:
Will Prestwidge
Jack Sinfield
Hugo Burdon
Hugh Weibgen (NEW)
Tom Whitney (NEW)

In: Ben McDermott, Aryan Jain, Tom Whitney, Hugh Weibgen
Out: Sam Truloff, Sam Heazlett, Matthew Willans, Kane Richardson

Starfighter

South Australia:

Wes Agar
Kyle Brazell (Rookie)
Jordan Buckingham
Aidan Cahill (Rookie)
Jake Carder
Alex Carey (CA)
Harry Conway
Brendan Doggett, Daniel Drew
Jake Fraser-McGurk
David Grant
Travis Head (CA)
Isaac Higgins (Rookie)
Henry Hunt
Thomas Kelly
Jake Lehmann
Ben Manenti
Harry Matthias (Rookie)
Nathan McAndrew
Nathan McSweeney
Harry Nielsen
Lloyd Pope
Liam Scott
Henry Thornton
Spencer Johnson
Kelvin Smith

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
South Australia:

Wes Agar
Kyle Brazell (Rookie)
Jordan Buckingham
Aidan Cahill (Rookie)
Jake Carder
Alex Carey (CA)
Harry Conway
Brendan Doggett, Daniel Drew
Jake Fraser-McGurk
David Grant
Travis Head (CA)
Isaac Higgins (Rookie)
Henry Hunt
Thomas Kelly
Jake Lehmann
Ben Manenti
Harry Matthias (Rookie)
Nathan McAndrew
Nathan McSweeney
Harry Nielsen
Lloyd Pope
Liam Scott
Henry Thornton
Spencer Johnson
Kelvin Smith
mcgurk is an interesting signing.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean I am not exactly convinced on JFM but I don't hate it, he likely wouldn't make the first choice Shield XI but I could see him being useful as a 50 over player over here. Good fielder generally too.

More worried about Kelvin Smith being seemingly backed in as a first choice opener tbh. Still looks far too loose to be a viable opening option to me, hope I am wrong honestly but I just can't see it happening for him

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean I am not exactly convinced on JFM but I don't hate it, he likely wouldn't make the first choice Shield XI but I could see him being useful as a 50 over player over here. Good fielder generally too.

More worried about Kelvin Smith being seemingly backed in as a first choice opener tbh. Still looks far too loose to be a viable opening option to me, hope I am wrong honestly but I just can't see it happening for him
McGurk likely gets a gig as a 50 over opener with hunt before Kelvin right?