• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Dhoni vs Michael Bevan

Who was the greater ODI batsman?

• Total voters

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Very difficult yes. Both have a very good home away record. Bevan was very good everywhere except in Nz(where he was mediocre) and Sl(where he was poor), and Dhoni pretty well everywhere except Eng(mediocre) and Sa(poor). Both were adaptable, Bevan was consistent, while Dhoni was another player at 3 or 4(over 2000 runs@60+, SR 95 or something). Both have a similar ICC WC record as well. Era adjusted SR’s would be pretty similar. In the top order, I would prefer Dhoni, his destructiveness was something else. As a finisher, we have to look deeper. Dhoni has an average of 102.71 in won chases, with 2800+ runs and a fair number of not outs(which shows he usually guided the team till the end when required). Bevan has an average of 86 with 1725+ runs in successful run chases, with a good number of not outs. Bevan won Aus some pretty unwinnable matches while chasing, while Dhoni wouldn’t be able to, albeit singlehandedly. However India’s general chasing attitude in ODIs started changing with Dhoni a lot. As an ODI batsmen overall, Dhoni is greater, because he was a more destructive top order batsmen than Bevan as well as in addition being a comparable finisher. As a finisher I am undecided, maybe Bevan by a little, due to him being more of a pioneer as a finisher, and due to some of the crazy chases he pulled off. Maybe while batting first as finishers, both are comparable, as a chaser Bevan is greater, and hence the greater finisher. But Dhoni the greater overall ODI batsmen.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Bevan:

-his innings Vs WI chasing when the team was 6 for 80 odd
-96 WC SF
-99 WC SF
-2001 last match Vs Ind in Ind
-102 Vs NZ
-his innings against eng 03 WC
-his innings against NZ
-his 185 Vs Asia 2000

Dhoni:

-2011 WC final
-adelaide knock
-wc sf 2015
-wc sf 2019

Jumno

U19 Captain
Klusenar

-99 WC
-WC SF 99
-innings against WI 2003 WC
-innings against sri l 2003 wc
-bichal bowled him vb series 2002
-innings against Ind 2000/01 odi series Ind win

Everton Seymour

U19 Debutant
I'm going with Dhoni ..I get a Six Hitter, a successful captain and a Chase Master all in one plus I love the story..Worthy of a movie. From a Train Ticket Collector to one of the biggest stars of ODI cricket, a mentality monster !

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm going with Dhoni ..I get a Six Hitter, a successful captain and a Chase Master all in one plus I love the story..Worthy of a movie. From a Train Ticket Collector to one of the biggest stars of ODI cricket, a mentality monster !
Should’ve stayed a train ticket collector imo.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
forgetting the small matter of average in that comparison to Imran
I'm not really comparing Imran to Bevan. Just that Bevan poor S/R is forgiven rather easily compared to others. Bevan average is only high becaue of Not outs. I woul rather prefer a finisher verage 41 with S/R of 91 than 53 with s/r of 74

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not really comparing Imran to Bevan. Just that Bevan poor S/R is forgiven rather easily compared to others. Bevan average is only high becaue of Not outs. I woul rather prefer a finisher verage 41 with S/R of 91 than 53 with s/r of 74
Since you seem determined to repeatedly shove this misunderstanding in everyone's face maybe we should set the record straight. Bevan's strike rate was perfectly fine for his era, and he actually struck at ~80 when batting first IIRC which is about as high as almost anyone at that time. His strike rate is lower batting second because he generally did exactly what it took to win games and didn't take unnecessary risks, which is what made him one of the most valuable, if not the most valuable, ODI cricketers of his time.

Bevan having a low SR was not an issue, trying to make it one is a clear indication that you didn't actually follow his career or matches he played in at all and are making assertions based off a complete misreading of stats

TheJediBrah

Anyway as players Dhoni's value as an excellent keeper and captain surely pips it

Purely as batsmen could go either way. Dhoni had a big late career slump where he maintained a great average but kept losing India matches which didn't happen with Bevan. But that could just be attributed to Dhoni having a longer career

Socerer 01

International Captain
Anyway as players Dhoni's value as an excellent keeper and captain surely pips it

Purely as batsmen could go either way. Dhoni had a big late career slump where he maintained a great average but kept losing India matches which didn't happen with Bevan. But that could just be attributed to Dhoni having a longer career
any other country would have tossed Dhoni away after 2016 or at least made him step down instead of having him in the team to act as Kohli's commander because the latter couldn't be a good captain in white ball

Socerer 01

International Captain
He was not out because he was finishing games successfully at the end. Bevan's strike rate is forgiven because he was leading his team to victory. He was capable of scoring quicker if needed as TJB alludes to. In a few years everyone will want Buttler instead of Dhoni because of muh strike rate ignoring the era differences and playing style of the two teams

Also bringing up not outs in this thread is hilarious when the other guy is Dhoni

TheJediBrah

Didn't even notice "average boosted by not outs" was brought into this

This thread is full of my triggers

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
He was not out because he was finishing games successfully at the end. Bevan's strike rate is forgiven because he was leading his team to victory. He was capable of scoring quicker if needed as TJB alludes to. In a few years everyone will want Buttler instead of Dhoni because of muh strike rate ignoring the era differences and playing style of the two teams

Also bringing up not outs in this thread is hilarious when the other guy is Dhoni
Yes, not outs in ODIs, especially in ODI chases are a positive indication of the player as a chaser, that he can stay till the end to finish the game.