• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The early signs are for a bit of an Indian summer for the Oval area for the next week or so. It'll still be a bit chilly for the spectators and the sunset will start around 6pm, but it's looking dry.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How nice would a Smith triple be here. Would cement him as the second from GOAT.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It will be interesting to see the approach England takes for this match. A very short turn around so I'm not sure whether Stokes will be able to bowl. Presumably Overton did enough to keep his spot, and certainly the openers and Root are secure. Do they give any or all of Roy, Bairstow and Buttler the last match, or do they make some changes with a view to the future given there's slightly less pressure now the Ashes are not on the line (albeit they want to level the series, of course).

It's also a very short turn around for our bowlers, particularly Cummins who showed the first signs of fatigue late yesterday, although he was still magnificent. Do they rest him to ensure his home summer? And do they stick with Starc, who may be better for the run and wasn't terrible but isn't as unerringly accurate as the others in the squad?

The Oval used to be quite fast and bouncy a few years back. If that's the case it may favour Starc, especially if it's dry. I seem to remember there being a bit of reverse there from time to time as well.

morgieb

It will be interesting to see the approach England takes for this match. A very short turn around so I'm not sure whether Stokes will be able to bowl. Presumably Overton did enough to keep his spot, and certainly the openers and Root are secure. Do they give any or all of Roy, Bairstow and Buttler the last match, or do they make some changes with a view to the future given there's slightly less pressure now the Ashes are not on the line (albeit they want to level the series, of course).

It's also a very short turn around for our bowlers, particularly Cummins who showed the first signs of fatigue late yesterday, although he was still magnificent. Do they rest him to ensure his home summer? And do they stick with Starc, who may be better for the run and wasn't terrible but isn't as unerringly accurate as the others in the squad?

The Oval used to be quite fast and bouncy a few years back. If that's the case it may favour Starc, especially if it's dry. I seem to remember there being a bit of reverse there from time to time as well.
I'd pick Starc for The Oval, but given the Ashes has already been retained I think I'm probably somewhat in favour of resting Cummins given how short the turnaround is. I think even though we won the opener situation has to change.

Roy probably the only Pom I can realistically see dropped. But even he made starts so I could also see him be retained.

the big bambino

International Captain
I hope they don't rest Cummins ... which means I might have to - gulp - consider Marsh.

Edit (and hopefully) if the Oval is true and fastish then it might not be too bad to play Marsh. Heads up anyone on how the Oval plays these days?

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely you Aussies aren't looking at the Oval as a dead rubber? Fmd, I'd be fuming if they rested Cummins unless he's got a serious niggle.

Everything to play for at The Oval for both sides imo.

stephen

Resting Cummins would be the height of stupidity. He's got a long break before the next series after this one.

Starfighter

We haven't yet won the series, resting our best bowler would be absolutely stupid. If we hadn't stuffed up at Headingley and had actually closed the thing out then I'd consider it.

morgieb

Yeah you're probably right. I just worry about the risk of him breaking down rather than general fatigue.

If there's someone who's fatigued to the point of affecting their own performances it's Lyon (though admittedly the finger was a problem there), but he can't be rested as there's no-one else to cover for him in the squad.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As GIMH pointed out earlier, the Aussies are in the same place ENG where in 10/11. Would have been devastating for us to have lost the Sydney test even though we would have still taken the ashes home. The Aussies will be up for the Oval just as much as this last test.

Conversly if Eng can win it yeah the Aussies have got the urn, but 80% of the bragging rights are gone and it will surely feel a bit hollow. I like this scenario a lot more.

Burgey

Resting Cummins would be the height of stupidity. He's got a long break before the next series after this one.
Yeah but that’s no good if he breaks down. I’m not saying to rest him because he needs a snooze, I’m talking in terms of managing potential stress fracture type injuries. They test for those pretty stringently these days anyway I suppose, so they’ll know if he’s at risk. If he is I wouldn’t play him.