• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at Hobart - 14-19 Jan 2022

ashley bach

International Captain
if 0.0001mm of rain can make the ground too slippery to play on at night then maybe a day night test at hobart starting an hour later than everywhere else wasn't a great idea
personally I don't see the great appeal of playing at night with a pink ball, rather than during the day in the sun with a red ball.
would of thought once a series is more than enough of Walt Disney.

Spark

Global Moderator
personally I don't see the great appeal of playing at night with a pink ball, rather than during the day in the sun with a red ball.
would of thought once a series is more than enough of Walt Disney.
people can actually watch the game during the week if they have a job...?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Absolutely robbed of a 70 over ball under lights with Joe Root on fire. You utter utter ****s

Spark

Global Moderator
surely your not implying it's all about that.
what about those that work at night or go to bed early? they're totally getting screwed.
i'm not going to even bother arguing with the galaxy brain claim that apparently people are less likely to watch tv in the evening than during the day. it's not a serious proposition.

Spark

Global Moderator
no, lets tailor cricket for how it should be and has always been, rather than screw the game itself.
there is no such thing as "cricket as it should be and has always been". test cricket has changed constantly since its inception, and the people who say nothing should ever change have absolutely nothing of value to offer to the discussion and should be ignored.

this particular iteration of a day night test is flawed, but to write off the concept completely is imo anti-cricket.

ashley bach

International Captain
there is no such thing as "cricket as it should be and has always been". test cricket has changed constantly since its inception, and the people who say nothing should ever change have absolutely nothing of value to offer to the discussion and should be ignored.

this particular iteration of a day night test is flawed, but to write off the concept completely is imo anti-cricket.
that's a wee bit harsh Spark, of course changes can be good, pending on what they are and how they fare of course.
nobody is suggesting write the concept off completely, all I suggested was that twice in a series is far too often.
until recently test cricket has always been during the day and it's simply a matter of opinion whether that change is a good one.
I personally don't like the concept at all, many others won't either, but anti cricket and should be ignored?
come on you're losing the plot here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

I honestly hope they improve the pink ball enough that we see all tests being played with it, which means making up time with lights on should not be as big an issue as it is currently.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I honestly hope they improve the pink ball enough that we see all tests being played with it, which means making up time with lights on should be as big an issue as it is currently.
if the administrators were serious we would have been playing day-night tests years and years ago with the proper research and development done to ensure we had a proper ball. but they cbf with that so this, for now, is what we've got. at least in australia, it's still mostly making for good cricket matches.

i would be surprised if there were many test matches outside of boxing day/new year's tests in australia that weren't d/n games by, say, 2030, in the same way that day ODI games eventually vanished entirely.