• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

50 Over Cricket

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two wonderfully close games and I think today’s still goes down as a cracker.

Honestly even in the ‘still no close games’ on phase I was enjoying the non-England aspects of the tournament. Been some incredible performances and a game that lasts 100 overs doesn’t have to have a close finish to have been close along the way.

I know some are concerned about dead rubbers etc but I’ll cross that bridge if we get there. I’ve enjoyed this WC so far aside from the obvious. And that’s coming from someone whois very much my team first.

Niall

International Coach
This tournament (and esp the last three days) has reminded by how compelling 50 over cricket can be and how much better it is than crap t20s. That’s all. The administrators had better not screw this up.
They kind of have with only ten teams in a supposed world cup which for me has devalued the event immensely.

Rugby and soccer expanding and we basically have a glorified champions trophy.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two wonderfully close games and I think today’s still goes down as a cracker.

Honestly even in the ‘still no close games’ on phase I was enjoying the non-England aspects of the tournament. Been some incredible performances and a game that lasts 100 overs doesn’t have to have a close finish to have been close along the way.

I know some are concerned about dead rubbers etc but I’ll cross that bridge if we get there. I’ve enjoyed this WC so far aside from the obvious. And that’s coming from someone whois very much my team first.
I think the format of this tournament is terrible but 50 over cricket itself is still pretty great.

Flem274*

123/5
Am I the only one who would have 12 teams and one pool?

With the saturation of T20 I don't think we get nearly the amount of random odis we used to. I'd actually really enjoy one big pool play, and maybe a top 5 or 6 finals phase in the mould of an adapted NRL format.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There have been a lot of pretty lousy games, IMO - aside from the last few days, I wouldn't really call it a great advertisement for the format.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Dull format, dull tournament. Why spend a day watching batters smash the ball to all parts when it need only last 3 hours?

ma1978

State Captain
You mean like Pak / South Africa, or India / England or India / Australia.

There have been some runfests but this World Cup has shown the value of good bowling and building an innings in difficult conditions.

ma1978

State Captain
Hell, England hasn’t been able to score 200 in three games, I agree they suck but this is hardly a dumb run fest

Tom Flint

International Regular
This is still the best trophy to win in cricket, I really hope some of the players don't get their way and for it to fizzle out

loterry1994

International Debutant
They’ve got to find a way to create more interest for odis again. I still think it’s a good format but too many countries don’t play their full strength teams a lot of the time mainly due to the hectic schedule . The boards don’t prioritise it anymore.

I think countries outside India and England odis aren’t that popular anymore. You can go to a franchise cricket game like bbl with lesser names and get a bigger crowd

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Give it a few years. It will be reborn again. As soon as the number of balls per innings in a match approaches 1.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Perhaps if bilateral series are mandated to be only 3 games only (with reserve days if necessary) with ranking points that make a difference in qualifying for big events, there might be some future. There should be a better calendar so that all teams play each other, giving the likes of Netherlands and others the chance to get better exposure.