• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
Wonder how many "but he's bowling well, keeping it tight, just unlucky" excuses we'll get from the commentators if Lyon continues to underperform tomorrow relative to a literal debutant.

Being outbowled by Ashwin is one thing, Sundar is quite another.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This deck still feels pretty good IMO. Not sure even 300 would be bulletproof, though given the nature of the series Australia have to err on the side of aggression.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Honestly, from the way Indian fans were talking about Shardul I expected 17-0-1-78 or somesuch

He may be flaky af, but his best is pretty good imo
He's played way above his mean here though. That being said, you can only improve if you have adequate incentive to improve. Not sure if there's going to be room for him once everyone's fit, but it may be worthwhile to groom him for the all-rounder's spot when we tour.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shami is a superior version of Umesh. Shardul is an inferior version of Umesh. But all three operate a very similar MO where keeping it tight is really not on the menu. All 3 can lose their actions a little bit.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder how many "but he's bowling well, keeping it tight, just unlucky" excuses we'll get from the commentators if Lyon continues to underperform tomorrow relative to a literal debutant.

One thing I've learned is that you can't say someone's bowling crap on air unless they're really, obviously doing it or you're Ian Chappell

Spark

Global Moderator
Shower definitely going to hit in the next hour or so. Doesn't look too big or that there's a lot behind it (at this stage), though

Niall

International Coach
I doubt we see him in this format again though, in the SC assume its 2 seamers and that's probably Ishant/Shami/Yadav
Shami is a superior version of Umesh. Shardul is an inferior version of Umesh. But all three operate a very similar MO where keeping it tight is really not on the menu. All 3 can lose their actions a little bit.
He's a fun cricketer but I doubt he wins India any prestige oversea test series.

A little like Praveen Kumar.

cnerd123

likes this

he's bowled well in the 'quality of delivery' metric but hasn't really bowled to a plan vs the Indian batters. Seems to be waiting for them to execute an aggressive shot badly or get beaten by natural variation off the pitch. If they sit on him he doesn't seem to have a plan to get them out.

Sundar has bowled bad balls but has generally structed his bowling around a fixed plan for each batter, and has gotten wickets when those plans work. Ashwin did that too, and Jadeja just has an innate ability to work batsmen out. Plus all of them benefit from bowling to a batting lineup that's got muddled thought processes to begin with. The Indian batters have shown more resolve and composure and Lyon doesn't seem to have an answer for that.

I think that's a common trend throughout Lyon's career - if the batters are good enough to sit on him and willing to wait him out, he doesn't have strategies to get them out. He just looses his cool and bowls worse.

Spark

Global Moderator
he's bowled well in the 'quality of delivery' metric but hasn't really bowled to a plan vs the Indian batters. Seems to be waiting for them to execute an aggressive shot badly or get beaten by natural variation off the pitch. If they sit on him he doesn't seem to have a plan to get them out.

Sundar has bowled bad balls but has generally structed his bowling around a fixed plan for each batter, and has gotten wickets when those plans work. Ashwin did that too, and Jadeja just has an innate ability to work batsmen out. Plus all of them benefit from bowling to a batting lineup that's got muddled thought processes to begin with. The Indian batters have shown more resolve and composure and Lyon doesn't seem to have an answer for that.

I think that's a common trend throughout Lyon's career - if the batters are good enough to sit on him and willing to wait him out, he doesn't have strategies to get them out. He just looses his cool and bowls worse.
Yep, this is it. His bowling looks aesthetically fine, which fools the commentators into thinking he's bowling well. But at some stage you actually have to look like taking a wicket.

A big part of that partnership yesterday was that Lyon was kept on the whole time for one end and presented no threat to either batsmen at all. People mocked me saying Green should have been brought on, but even his current diet of liquorice all-sorts would have been superior to over after over of zero wicket-taking threat. But apparently that's good enough for both the captain and the commentators :/

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He'll go ok imo. There's something there outside off to the right hander that he'll like targeting.

Spark

Global Moderator
He'll go ok imo. There's something there outside off to the right hander that he'll like targeting.
Oh I hope he bowls well. Just frustrates me that so many excuses have been made for him this series when even Sundar looks a more consistent wicket-taking threat than him despite obviously bowling much less accurately.

(Part of a broader trend, I think, of Australian cricket establishment making too many excuses for Aus cricketers that they never would for a touring side, but that's another discussion)

Spark

Global Moderator
I doubt we see him in this format again though, in the SC assume its 2 seamers and that's probably Ishant/Shami/Yadav

He's a fun cricketer but I doubt he wins India any prestige oversea test series.

A little like Praveen Kumar.
India plays three seamers in India fairly consistently, no? Jadeja + Ashwin is basically all the spin you need.