• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah this entire thing screeeeams ECB. It's exactly the sort of weather balloon they've loved floating in the last few years.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Yes! Just what we need! Extended ODIs! So Drama!

And it wouldn't give people an incentive to time-wasting at all. After all, if it's the crucial match, why not try just slow things a little. I guess everyone bowls their overs slowly these days, but now even Bangladesh will have a reason to.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Also, I've noticed that one of the arguments for 4-day tests is actually a little strange:

As fewer matches are being drawn (one really needs to consider the 'state of play', as it were, anyway), what you are effectively saying is you would like more matches drawn.

Why?

Last edited:

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Would making good pitches be easier for a 4 day test be easier than for a 5 day test as the pitches do not need to last as long?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is an atrocious idea and all people advocating it should be thrown in a pit of scorpions.

I could see that there might be a small amount of value in scheduling some 4 day tests when there is a ranking difference of 6 or more between sides, for the sake of giving the crap side more tests, but that's it.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Another thing is that I can understand playing shorter tests with the new, weak sides; but why the rush to standardise?

Same goes for hb's suggestion of using the pink ball. It is not necessary to have all tests using the same ball.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
D/N Tests being 4 days is fine with me. However.. I would like 105 overs minimum per day, so instead of a typical scheduled 6 hours, it would be 7 hours.

I can definitely see the appeal of the golf structure of Thursday to Sunday in that situation too.

Starfighter

I honestly think teams should be able to get through the overs quicker, but that boat sailed decades ago.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Out of curiosity, what is the main argument against returning to 8 ball overs? That would surely improve overrates?
It was done for commercial TV. Oz cricket for a few decades was 8 ball overs until Packet WSC was 6 ball overs and once he got the rights, it became 6 ball overs from then on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I honestly think teams should be able to get through the overs quicker, but that boat sailed decades ago.
Concussion helmet inspections, third umpire reviews, sightscreen issues, ball going out of shape, batsman pulling out late when the bowler is running in.

There are just so many delays out of the fielding teams control. I dont really notice when the fielding team is taking too long until I see the overs per hour pop up on the screen.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's completely irrational and like #993 on the list of potential reasons to dislike the idea of 4 day Tests, but I really don't like that the follow-on mark would be 150.
isn't that already a possibility in test cricket? (when the first day is washed out before a ball is bowled)

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I assume most people hold the worry that test cricket is 'dying', particularly outside of the 3 big test nations. Do you think 5 day tests, compared to 4 day tests, helps those non big 3 nations play more tests & make money, harms those nations playing more tests & making money or it has no impact

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Another thing is that I can understand playing shorter tests with the new, weak sides; but why the rush to standardise?

Same goes for hb's suggestion of using the pink ball. It is not necessary to have all tests using the same ball.

I dunno... I posted it as something I see happening, w.r.t the pink ball being standard for tests. It obviously has to improve further before that happens but I just feel enabling the game to continue under lights when required can help out with the scheduling.

stephen

I assume most people hold the worry that test cricket is 'dying', particularly outside of the 3 big test nations. Do you think 5 day tests, compared to 4 day tests, helps those non big 3 nations play more tests & make money, harms those nations playing more tests & making money or it has no impact
The main impact it has is that it in theory cuts into the number of more profitable shorter format games. In practice it's not really an issue since they're never going to play more than two or three match series'.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Yeah I wonder if it can get NZ to play three tests rather than their normal. I thought it was a bit crap that the #2 vs #1 ranked sides would be playing just a couple tests.