• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests

Bijed

International Regular
eh, this is a bit overboard. It's still 2 innings over 4 days. It will still be the 'longer' format. Heck, it will still be the longest format of professional cricket played.

I don't think it will lose fans, the same way I don't think it will gain new ones. It's just going to be the same people watching it, except now they'll be grumpier because money was prioritized over cricket. Every 4-day draw will now be met by hundreds of people making the same old 'only if they kept it 5 days long' comment.

People will adjust and cricket will still be fun. We'll all just a be a little bit more dead inside.
It might put me off a fair bit tbh. I'm certainly not in there 'there needs to be a result' camp, but draws are rewarding outcomes when one team has had to fight to get one, but the ones you get because the wicket is dead are basically pretty boring, and there's a danger of a lot more tests just kinda meandering to a draw if tests become 4 days. I know teams will take different approaches and the pace of the game will generally be faster, but there will be a lot more unsatisfying matches imo.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Has anyone run the numbers on whether there are more draws in four-day FC cricket than in Tests in recent years?

srbhkshk

International Captain
It might put me off a fair bit tbh. I'm certainly not in there 'there needs to be a result' camp, but draws are rewarding outcomes when one team has had to fight to get one, but the ones you get because the wicket is dead are basically pretty boring, and there's a danger of a lot more tests just kinda meandering to a draw if tests become 4 days. I know teams will take different approaches and the pace of the game will generally be faster, but there will be a lot more unsatisfying matches imo.
I am already terrified of the stats people arguing about how a 50 average in 5 day tests compares to one in 4 day tests.

cnerd123

likes this
I am already terrified of the stats people arguing about how a 50 average in 5 day tests compares to one in 4 day tests.
we have dozens of draft threads where no one gives a **** about 8-ball overs and timeless tests when selecting their hypothetical XIs across eras.

It will be fine.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
aye before I get attacked by scorpions, why dont they have 4 day cricket with a reserve day so if both pleb batting sides are actually not dismissed end of day 4, they have a Super Day!!TM 90 overs of Super Cricket!!
It was also Super when I suggested it earlier in the thread... But now that you are onboard, maybe folks here will take it more seriously.. :p

But practically, if they only have a two day rest period between tests, I can see this becoming a problem. Then again, practically they should be able to work out better schedules.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was also Super when I suggested it earlier in the thread... But now that you are onboard, maybe folks here will take it more seriously.. :p

But practically, if they only have a two day rest period between tests, I can see this becoming a problem. Then again, practically they should be able to work out better schedules.
How is that logistically any different to what’s happening today

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How is that logistically any different to what’s happening today

Well, they can define a set of conditions when a test will get a 5th day added, like rain and weather constraints etc. My original suggestion was to have an extra day scheduled only if there is weather interruptions. And I don't think it will be logistically "that" different, hence why I said they should be able to do better even scheduling 5 day tests as it is today.

Best suggestion has come from Ravi Shastri so far on this, believe it or not. Top 6 play 5 day tests against each other. All other matches can be 4 day tests.

cnerd123

likes this
Well, they can define a set of conditions when a test will get a 5th day added, like rain and weather constraints etc. My original suggestion was to have an extra day scheduled only if there is weather interruptions. And I don't think it will be logistically "that" different, hence why I said they should be able to do better even scheduling 5 day tests as it is today.

Best suggestion has come from Ravi Shastri so far on this, believe it or not. Top 6 play 5 day tests against each other. All other matches can be 4 day tests.
that's harder to organise. you just end up having to book venues and hire staff for 5 days anyways

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah if you schedule reserve days for rain etc then you might as well just schedule the fifth day properly. I don't see any scheduling advantages if you're going to schedule a reserve day anyway.

---

More generally:

I remember when "optional" four day Tests were approved, and I mentioned that I was fine with top teams deciding to play four-day Tests against Ireland, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and even in some cases Bangladesh/SL/WI at home where the result of a five day game seemed fairly obvious as it'd allow them to get more Tests in, but that I was deeply concerned about the slippery slope to four day Tests between (for example) New Zealand and Pakistan. And here we are.

As someone who watches a lot of domestic cricket where red/pink ball cricket is only four days long, the gap between how much I like it vs one day domestic cricket is significantly smaller than the gap between how much I like Tests v ODIs. In a world of four day Tests (other than in likely mismatches, which I support it for), the following is true:
  • Over rates actually kind of matter, and aren't just the lame bugbear of cricket's worst commentators
  • Declaration cricket (ie. the worst type of cricket) is a staple of most games
  • Contrived agreed targets (ie. so bad I don't even consider them cricket) become a thing
  • Declaring and then losing is absolutely a thing, the worst type of cricket result
  • Attacking batting is more valuable, but not quite by as much as people might initially think, making people like Warne even more insufferable

It pretty much exemplifies all the things I don't like about Test cricket. I like four day cricket more than 50 over cricket but the margin is only significant for me if it's played on more sporting pitches, and I don't really see that happening with four day Tests.

I actually don't care at all if there will be more draws. More draws instead of games that were largely decided by tea on Day 3 might be a good thing. I really just oppose what will happen to try and make sure there aren't more draws.

Flem274*

123/5
i dont think we need it either in the world of day night tests. so good coming home and being able to watch a test. i see more 'cricket' than in an odi where half the game is done by home time

Daemon

I don't see the problem with having more draws at all. Just decide them based on who hit more boundaries and we're golden.

trundler

Test cricket brings out the conservative in me. Sure, the selection of 5 data is arbitrary but why fix what isn't broken? #PreserveTestCricket and our glorious heritage.

Howe_zat

Audio File
In a world of four day Tests (other than in likely mismatches, which I support it for), the following is true:
  • Over rates actually kind of matter, and aren't just the lame bugbear of cricket's worst commentators
  • Declaration cricket (ie. the worst type of cricket) is a staple of most games
  • Contrived agreed targets (ie. so bad I don't even consider them cricket) become a thing
  • Declaring and then losing is absolutely a thing, the worst type of cricket result
  • Attacking batting is more valuable, but not quite by as much as people might initially think, making people like Warne even more insufferable
Holy crap.

A couple of things happened here

- I completely agree with Cribb
- I didn't before
- My 180 on the subject is entirely a result of this post

Feels a bit weird

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
eh, this is a bit overboard. It's still 2 innings over 4 days. It will still be the 'longer' format. Heck, it will still be the longest format of professional cricket played.

I don't think it will lose fans, the same way I don't think it will gain new ones. It's just going to be the same people watching it, except now they'll be grumpier because money was prioritized over cricket. Every 4-day draw will now be met by hundreds of people making the same old 'only if they kept it 5 days long' comment.

People will adjust and cricket will still be fun. We'll all just a be a little bit more dead inside.
I don’t think you appreciate how different the game will need to be played in order to squeeze in a result within 4 days. It just won’t ever be the same day

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Individual player career records from the past would be a lot safer with 4 day Tests. Much less likely for anyone to beat Lara's 400*, or Tendulkar's 100 tally, or total run/wicket records.