• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3 innings cricket

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
And amazing that, even when it does, crowds still flock to see almost every one.

People still flock to McDonalds, doesn't mean it's any good.

Both are quite amazingly similar i reckon. Simple, manufactured, you know what your gonna get when you step into the ground.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And why? Because you enjoy it. If there was a better alternative than McDonald's, I'm sure most people would be delighted to hear it. Personally I never touch anything from fast-food restaurents except chips and onion-rings, anyway, but that's BTP - people go to McDonald's because they want cheap, quick food, no other reason. People go to a game of one-day cricket because they like what's in prospect - however predictable it might be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What - that people like it despite the fact that there are some parts which may sometimes be predictable?

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
What - that people like it despite the fact that there are some parts which may sometimes be predictable?
parts of it?? i'd say the vast majority of it.

And people are getting bored of it as well in certain parts of the world - the crowds down here for the latest series where terrible (and tv ratings showed that the Australian Open was a far more popular choice for the viewer), while CA's attempts at 3-game series down in Melbourne have been met with a cold reception.

New Zealand haven't been getting crowd's for ages.

The format isn't as fresh and exciting as it once was. It lost a lot of credibility when Chris Harris was considered to be a good one-day bowler. Great batsmen, but really ..... anything where he's considered a good bowler must be struggling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Black Thunder said:
parts of it?? i'd say the vast majority of it.
No, only parts of it - the idea that the vast majority of it is predictable is ridiculous and wholly stereotypical.
And people are getting bored of it as well in certain parts of the world - the crowds down here for the latest series where terrible (and tv ratings showed that the Australian Open was a far more popular choice for the viewer)
A trifle worrying, that - I could have understood it for a series involving Zimbabwe, but when it was Pakistan and West Indies... of course, Australia did get on top very early again and that does take some of the gloss off...
while CA's attempts at 3-game series down in Melbourne have been met with a cold reception.

New Zealand haven't been getting crowd's for ages.

The format isn't as fresh and exciting as it once was. It lost a lot of credibility when Chris Harris was considered to be a good one-day bowler. Great batsmen, but really ..... anything where he's considered a good bowler must be struggling.
Really?
Why's that then?
Why is it written in stone that Chris Harris is not allowed to be a good bowler for the game to have any credit?
That's totally ridiculous.
Come to that, Harris has been a good ODI bowler for... 15 years? So the game lost credibility 15 years ago, then?

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
you know richard i have come to believe your the guy that would have stood at the peir as christopher columbus set off on his maiden voyage, and laughed to yourself and said "what a fool that columbus is' he's just going to drop off the side if he goes to the end of the ocean"

it is extremely safe and narrow minded to comment on what "you" know and is safe to ridicule and put down something that is foreign and you don't understand.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
J.Coney said:
you know richard i have come to believe your the guy that would have stood at the peir as christopher columbus set off on his maiden voyage, and laughed to yourself and said "what a fool that columbus is' he's just going to drop off the side if he goes to the end of the ocean"

it is extremely safe and narrow minded to comment on what "you" know and is safe to ridicule and put down something that is foreign and you don't understand.
A comment benefited about the most from hindsight out of any, ever.
It now seems one of the most ludicrous ideas ever that The World could be regarded as flat - but it wasn't foolish at all, it was the logical and sensible assumption knowing the limited amount they knew in those days.
And if CC was willing to risk his life to find-out otherwise, that was his lookout - I'd not criticise him, and I'd not believe what he found-out until he found it out.
If we just tried new stuff all the time we'd not last long, nor would everything we hold dear. There has to be a balance. That balance, of course, is hard to find and any experiment, in my view, must be as "safe" as possible - progress does not have to be destruction.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
J.Coney said:
And therein lies the problem.

In spite of our differences, I wouldn't call Richard stupid, and he can't understand it.

How the hell is Joe Public going to understand it, let alone enjoy it?

J.Coney

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
And therein lies the problem.

How the hell is Joe Public going to understand it, let alone enjoy it?
coming from an englishmen can't you see the irony. Thats exactly how you guys must of felt when you taught the americans how to play test cricket. "hey we like the game of rounders you taught us, ahe thats a little easier to understand, i think we will take that seriosly"

on a postive t people i have explained "it" to have no trouble understanding the concept. Futhermore i am currently in talks with local clubs who are willing and are excited to trail my version. the strange thing is richard and marc i may have the last laugh. Just wondering have you guys ever thought outside the square. kerry packer did but you guys would'nt know anything about that would you.

ok thats it i'll leave this be' but if you feel it nessacary to quote me or something to get one last punch or dig "in" then so be it. but remember this: thomas edison got knocked back over 500 times, think about that next time you turn the light on. :wacko:

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You won't have the last laugh.

The format is confusing and would make the game extremely disjointed.

So what if local clubs are looking at it?

And to compare yourself to Kerry Packer is seriously deluded.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mainly because you don't have Packer's financial clout.
And when thinking this:
J.Coney said:
remember this: thomas edison got knocked back over 500 times, think about that next time you turn the light on.
remember also that for every Edison\Columbus there are maybe a million would-be entrepreneurs who get precisely nowhere.