• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Match - Australia v England

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Try explaining that finish to an outsider.

Taylor impressive to take it the way he did. I can think of a few players that would have flew off the handle.

Riggins

International Captain
James Fuller ‏@James_Fuller246 5m5 minutes ago

4 to win off the last ball to win the #CWC15. Lbw. Referred. Ball is missing. Ball goes off the leg for 4. Who wins?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bowling side.
Yeah, that's definitely a big issue. Don't really know what can be done about that apart from maybe have an umpire just not give anything in such moments to let all events pan out.

Doesn't change the fact the umpires got the rules completely wrong just now though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know that. Shouldn't be though, IMO.
Yeah. If you look at today's situation, Anderson would've been run out had Taylor not been given out; the decision didn't change what Anderson and Maxwell were doing at all. If Anderson was given a reprieve it'd only be because the standing umpire made a bad call originally, and no other reason.. which, while technically correct, would have felt like a worse outcome to me.

The umpires got it wrong here in spectacular fashion and should be held accountable, but unlike Cabinet, I think they probably applied a more common sense solution than the actual rule. I'd be open to changing it.

Riggins

International Captain
Bowling side might not bother trying to field because the umpire has gone up, and otherwise might not go for four

Not sure I've even made sense haha
Yeah it's obviously a bit of a no win situation. Replaying the delivery seems a bit extreme, but maybe a selective replay like they sometimes do in tennis (?) in situations where the play was clearly effected by the reaction to the decision.

Don't think I've made sense either.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah. If you look at today's situation, Anderson would've been run out had Taylor not been given out; the decision didn't change what Anderson and Maxwell were doing at all. If Anderson was given a reprieve it'd only be because the standing umpire made a bad call originally, and no other reason.. which, while technically correct, would have felt like a worse outcome to me.

The umpires got it wrong here in spectacular fashion and should be held accountable, but unlike Cabinet, I think they probably applied a more common sense solution than the actual rule. I'd be open to changing it.
I agree with this mostly, but Anderson didn't even really fully reach for his ground. I wouldn't be surprised if he had heard the reaction of the bowler or someone and only gave 90% running. Who knows though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Yeah but what if you changed the rule and someone stopped running because the umpire's finger had gone up?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree with this mostly, but Anderson didn't even really fully reach for his ground. I wouldn't be surprised if he had heard the reaction of the bowler or someone and only gave 90% running. Who knows though.
Exactly. Impossible to definitively say he'd have done nothing differently

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but what if you changed the rule and someone stopped running because the umpire's finger had gone up?
If the rules were changed and a player did that, he'd be doing something careless by not considering that it might be reviewed. Obviously this isn't the case now because of how the rules actually are, but the players would be expected to take them into account once they were set.

A player getting out or losing runs because of his only carelessness is much preferable to a player getting a reprieve or losing runs because the standing umpire made an error originally.

Last edited:

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Crushing win for Australia, Finn's hatrrick was inconsequentional. Finch made England may for the drop, the English must be worries about Morgan! They dropped one captain for poor form only for his successor to display some even worse form...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If the rules were changed and a player did that, he'd be doing something careless by not considering that it might be reviewed. Obviously this isn't the case now because of how the rules actually are, but the players would be expected to take them into account once they were set.

A player getting out or losing runs because of his only carelessness is much preferable to a player getting a reprieve or losing runs because the standing umpire made an error originally.
It would be stupid to have players complete runs just in case, no? I actually think this is one of your more stupid ideas. Sorry mate.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Agree with this; players will adapt to it quickly if they're told these playing conditions beforehand. It's clearly a flaw at present but if I were officiating in such a condition I think I'd let the ball play through before making my LBW decision.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It would be stupid to have players complete runs just in case, no? I actually think this is one of your more stupid ideas. Sorry mate.
How's that different to making sure you cross when you sky one to deep midwicket so the new batsman isn't facing, or the dozen or more times you back up a throw that the keeper easily gathers at the stumps? Or backing up as a non-striker? Or anticipating a shot?

Doing something "just in case" is one of the things I spend the most time encouraging as a coach in all sports...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How's that different to making sure you cross when you sky one to deep midwicket so the new batsman isn't facing, or the dozen or more times you back up a throw that the keeper easily gathers at the stumps? Or backing up as a non-striker? Or anticipating a shot?

Doing something "just in case" is one of the things I spend the most time encouraging as a coach in all sports...
They are all before the event. Going full pelt on a run after you or your partner is already out just seems stupid to me. I dunno. Maybe I'm being overly officious. I think it would be a stupid rule.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It would be stupid to have players complete runs just in case, no?
I think that's much less stupid than this situation:

James Fuller ‏@James_Fuller246 5m5 minutes ago

4 to win off the last ball to win the #CWC15. Lbw. Referred. Ball is missing. Ball goes off the leg for 4. Who wins?
Or another theoretical situation where the non-striker isn't even aware the striker has been given out lbw, runs through, gets run out and then gets a random reprieve because the standing umpire made a bad call originally.

This is probably one of those things where I'm going to be a tiny minority, but it probably stems from my absolute intolerance for bad umpiring decisions having any affect on the game at all when it can be avoided. The only reason we've actually come to this is because my actual solution to this problem -- just doing away with player reviews and having the umpires refer as many things upstairs as they like -- is also unpopular among other fans.

Last edited: