• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd greatest living cricketer

Who is the 2nd greatest living cricketer (behind Sobers)?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
If you do not consider Murali a chucker than there is no way that Warne is ahead of him.
Especially if you are considering both formats.
Murali is Mohammad Ali, Warne is Mike Tyson.
Murali has proved his superiority quite a few times, if we also consider the fact that he had no support there's no way that Warne can be rated higher.
Tests only. I consider Murali a superior bowler by a very slight margin. Their records against top 8 teams are basically identical. I will take Warne ahead of Murali for slip fielding and batting. Warne’s batting is not quite bowling AR level but at least halfway there.

Gob

International Coach
If you do not consider Murali a chucker than there is no way that Warne is ahead of him.
Murali has proved his superiority quite a few times, if we also consider the fact that he had no support there's no way that Warne can be rated higher.
No I don't think I will.Gif

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You really want to believe that

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Murali was quite mediocre for the first six years of his career. Interesting action, big turner, but he wasn't setting the world alight until '98 or so when the doosra appeared and seemed to have a positive effect on his overall consistency as well. But that's probably the longest gestation period for an ATG alongside Imran?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Murali was quite mediocre for the first six years of his career. Interesting action, big turner, but he wasn't setting the world alight until '98 or so when the doosra appeared and seemed to have a positive effect on his overall consistency as well. But that's probably the longest gestation period for an ATG alongside Imran?
Different format but Sachin took a while to figure out ODIs.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Wasim debuted very young and had an absurdly long career for a fast bowler of 18 years and for the first 5 years in the late 80s, he was very much at a Srinath level as opposed to the Marshall level he went to in the 90s.

1633442193776.png
1633442234894.png

Another player in the same boat is Hadlee who also debuted very young and had an extremely long career. In his first 4 years, he didn't exactly light the world on fire.

1633442001637.png

Gob

International Coach
Wasim debuted very young and had an absurdly long career for a fast bowler of 18 years and for the first 5 years in the late 80s, he was very much at a Srinath level as opposed to the Marshall level he went to in the 90s.

View attachment 29522
View attachment 29523

Another player in the same boat is Hadlee who also debuted very young and had an extremely long career. In his first 4 years, he didn't exactly light the world on fire.

View attachment 29521
McGrath too

Teja.

Global Moderator
McGrath too
Nah, McGrath had a bad first year (1994, he debuted in December 1993) and was ATG from 1995 onwards for a decade and a slight dip at the end which is typically how a lot of ATG pacers career go.

I was talking about pacers who were much worse for first 4-6 years.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, McGrath had a bad first year (1994, he debuted in December 1993) and was ATG from 1995 onwards for a decade and a slight dip at the end which is typically how a lot of ATG pacers career go.

I was talking about pacers who were much worse for first 4-6 years.
I recall McGrath had a minor dip sometime in 2004, after his return from injury that kept him out of India tour to Australia in 2003-04. There were articles written about his decline lol.

Also, did he have a dip at the end? Thought he had a good Ashes swansong and of course the 2007 world cup.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I recall McGrath had a minor dip sometime in 2004, after his return from injury that kept him out of India tour to Australia in 2003-04. There were articles written about his decline lol.

Also, did he have a dip at the end? Thought he had a good Ashes swansong and of course the 2007 world cup.
He was mostly fine but in this final 2 test series at home against SA and England, he was not quite as lethal.

Gob

International Coach
I Know that.
It's actually as clear as daylight, Murali has a respectable record against great players of spin while Warne is scared of Navjot Singh Sidhu and Ravi Shastri (that's one point).
So I assume Indians are the only great players of spin?

Gob

International Coach

Dip started in 03 I think in WI. That's the Sarwan series and went on to miss a bunch of cricket afterwards.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's a bit self-referential in a way. Anyone who Warne owned would automatically not have the reputation as being a great player of spin.
Yeah I believe Murali was the better bowler but also agree with the Teja reasoning for picking Warne in a World XI. I may not necessarily go the same route (depends on who my other slip fielders and #8 options are) but I am not sure we have to belittle Warne's achievements. He was also very box office which helped the game overall as an entertainment commodity.