• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

jcas0167

International Debutant
I'm slightly disapointed ND aren't in the finals as I would have liked to see Allen take on Southee and Boult.

I still wouldn't pick him, Bangladesh at a push now they've added T20s

New low point for Spark's highlight editor - Blundell scores 46 off 22 and not a single shot of those makes it into the highlight reel. Makes me feel better about my eight different emails and 7-day free trials
They have all the Wellington boundaries at 2 hr 2 min in of the replay. I've been impressed with Blundell's inventiveness and ability to find the fence in the Super Smash.

Obviously it won't show in the highlights, but a seriously good bowling effort by by Solia - 1/23 off 4 overs when his side gave away 230.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Made me laugh when Stevenson said Blundell should take a split second to see where the ball is being bowled before deciding whether to ramp it or not ... like it can be a non-pre-ordained shot! And then Blundell hit 4-6-4 off the next three balls with ramps.

nzfan

Another day and another write up calling for a spot for Finn Allen vs the Aussies. I feel with Guptill injured and the pressure mounting Stead/Larsen will end up picking Finn Allen.

Amazing story, the bloke was not required by Aces for few years. Although he was picked to be a future black cap by some hadn't had much success before. A month and a half has changed the fortune of the lad. Awesome example for many players in the circuit how a month can change fortunes for a player. Prior super smash he would have been way down in the pecking order and not in the wildest he would have been thought as a contestant for a black caps spot this summer. Surely now the coaches from the past will start taking some credit :p To be fair Ben Williams was also instrumental in some of the players from Tauranga in particular one Mr. Kane.

I could be wrong but likely this was in 2015-16, Sears, Allen, Ravindra were all part of their respective under 19 sides. I saw first hand these guys at Lincoln. Phillips obviously drew the most attention and probably scored runs every game too. When I watched Phillips then although he scored lots of runs was never quite convincing watching him bat. I thought at best he can be a reasonable white ball player and maybe even over rated. He's proved technique is not the only quality you need to succeed. I think Finn Allen would have blasted a hundred that day vs Wellington. I had never seen a young lad hit the ball so hard like Allen did. At the receiving end was my son too unfortunately. I was so pissed off at Finn Allen in all honesty as he took our boys to cleaners although a bit of me quietly admiring his skills. There was never any doubt he was going to go on and do something special.

I remember Finn Allen from the 17s and the 19s. My lad was playing for Wellington and couple of years older than Finn Allen. Finn Allen was there always with the Auckland age group sides although he was like couple of years younger than the rest of the lads. The names that are going around now such as Phillips, Ben Sears, Josh Finnie, Leopard, Nathan Smith, Rachin Ravindra, Josh Clarkson etc were all representing the age group then. One game that sticks out from memory was an under 17 game in Wellington. I think Wellington needed something ridiculous like 7 or 8 runs per over or something with CD declaring in the last session of a game. Don't know exact scores but something like 250 in like 30 overs. One small diminutive young lad blasted like half a dozen sixes and took Wellington to victory. Then the little Ravindra, small in stature, probably aged like 12 or 13 smashed it all over the park with absolute class. No slogging... It's no surprise these guys are slowly rising. They were outstanding performers then and they are outstanding performers now.

Nathan Smith was a solid performer for Otago, he was quite quick then at least for the age group. He could bat too and field real well. He was unplayable in that tournament at Lincoln. Swung the ball both ways, knocked over guys for fun. I then thought he will be playing for BCs by the time he was like 20. A bit like Southee of young.

Ben Sears was not all that outstanding from memory. Bowled absolute gas, the fastest on the park then too but bowled wides, no balls and sprayed all over. Most of the runs scored against him was probably through third man and fine leg. I think he opened batting with Ravindra for Wellington if I'm not wrong. The lad can bat but he bats so low down the order for firebirds his batting has taken back seat.

Awesome to see these young dudes from the past stand up and get noticed. The age group tourneys are such important tourneys and provides good platform to play under pressure. In the past there used to be under 15s, under 17s and the under 19s. The under 15s used to be 3 day games but they have scrapped this now. The under 17s didn't happen this year and I'm hoping they have not scrapped this forever. We need these grass root tourneys to keep churning good players. They are usually not made at first class but way before.

nzfan

There goes the chance for Foxcroft to qualify for BC for the next three years at least. He had to do three consecutive years in NZ to qualify. He has to restart from next year and has to reside in NZ for three years (minimum number of days or should have played half the domestic games I think) playing cricket.

Immenso

I hope Foxcroft comes back, but I dont mind that his 3 year residency has been scuttled. 3 years is too short IMO.

He could start the clock again .... who knows, by then he might have put down enough roots not to , when his job was called off a few weeks early due to a pandemic, to travel back to his home country during a global pandemic.

jcas0167

International Debutant
There goes the chance for Foxcroft to qualify for BC for the next three years at least. He had to do three consecutive years in NZ to qualify. He has to restart from next year and has to reside in NZ for three years (minimum number of days or should have played half the domestic games I think) playing cricket.
I think others have said the ICC have some discretion for exceptional circumstances, which these clearly are. That is infuriating that rugby and basketball players are apparently subject to different rules. I hope that David White and NZC are not just leaving this to Otago to resolve.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think others have said the ICC have some discretion for exceptional circumstances, which these clearly are. That is infuriating that rugby and basketball players are apparently subject to different rules. I hope that David White and NZC are not just leaving this to Otago to resolve.
Yeah you can apply to the ICC for dispensation regarding qualification rules. I remember Joyce and Rankin being granted exemptions to go back to Ireland earlier than they were meant to (and Hamish Marshall being knocked back a request to do the same)

They'd have to be pretty big ****s to knock this one back if he makes his way back over ASAP and doesn't play pro cricket in South Africa in the gap.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't want to quote your whole post but I bloody enjoyed it. At U17 and U19 level, you get a really good sense of who's going to make it. Who has more time at the crease, who has that mature approach to their game, who has that ability to go 140km + etc.

As much as St Kent's is seen as a private school with all the resources and ability to bring talent in at will (moreso rugby), Finn would only be their third Black Cap and first since Mark Richardson. Underperformed in that regard.

nzfan

I didn't want to quote your whole post but I bloody enjoyed it. At U17 and U19 level, you get a really good sense of who's going to make it. Who has more time at the crease, who has that mature approach to their game, who has that ability to go 140km + etc.

As much as St Kent's is seen as a private school with all the resources and ability to bring talent in at will (moreso rugby), Finn would only be their third Black Cap and first since Mark Richardson. Underperformed in that regard.
Yeah you get a feel for the special players most of the times. It's quite a journey I tell ya when you have a kid in the same team competing with these stand out guys. You are cut off between appreciation and jealously initially. I'm being frank here. You just wonder why your kid can't do that these can. I suppose most parents are in the same boat initially. After few years, appreciation for these stand out players grow and you become their fan. You'll also come to realize there's lot more than making the team that makes these players. They are absolutely driven and that I guess that's the only difference between players at that level.

Another instance I remember is when I dropped off my kid for the local u17s selection game at a local Wellington ground. Probably a 2 day or a 3 day game. Ravindra was like 11, 12 or of something of that age. Probably looked like 9. Sears couple more years older likely. My lad was like we have to bowl all day if we lost the toss. I was like who has the patience to bat that long at that age group and told him not to worry he will knock over few guys. I went to the ground to drop off lunch for my son and Ravindra had opened the batting was batting still. I went back to work and got back to pick my son up about an hour or two prior end of the day and Ravindra was still batting. Next day, same sequences and same story. I guess he would have batted 2 days in a row. By then I had ran out of all the tips I could give my son to get him out. By the third day I just said to my son it's awesome he gets to bowl so many spells to keep him positive but somewhere along the chat I said forget this game wait for them to declare :laugh: I am reminded about that hapless conversation even today.

Another story goes like this, Glenn Phillips playing for under 19 was scoring runs like no other. If he held the bat it was almost as if the opponents just gave up. The boys always said Phillips was a bit eccentric. He used to tap the pitch and talk to the pitch often. Conversations went like, be good to me today, you are awesome today, look after me, don't seam, don't turn etc... funny to hear that. There was a time he hit a ball a long way and made ambulance noises while they looked for the ball :laugh: If he did that now in international cricket he would be a cult figure.

Have heard a lot of such stories and fun days those. Time flew going to a game to watch the lads play. The anticipation was amazing. Now looking back we figure it was just some age group cricket, no one died but then it felt like a chappell hadlee trophy with lives on hold. All the kids that we nearly hated for being so good, we now love them most :thumbup:

The Hutt Rec

Another story goes like this, Glenn Phillips playing for under 19 was scoring runs like no other. If he held the bat it was almost as if the opponents just gave up. The boys always said Phillips was a bit eccentric. He used to tap the pitch and talk to the pitch often. Conversations went like, be good to me today, you are awesome today, look after me, don't seam, don't turn etc... funny to hear that. There was a time he hit a ball a long way and made ambulance noises while they looked for the ball :laugh: If he did that now in international cricket he would be a cult figure.
Listening to him on the player-mike I actually don't think he's changed much lol

thundaboult

International Debutant
Yeah you get a feel for the special players most of the times. It's quite a journey I tell ya when you have a kid in the same team competing with these stand out guys. You are cut off between appreciation and jealously initially. I'm being frank here. You just wonder why your kid can't do that these can. I suppose most parents are in the same boat initially. After few years, appreciation for these stand out players grow and you become their fan. You'll also come to realize there's lot more than making the team that makes these players. They are absolutely driven and that I guess that's the only difference between players at that level.

Another instance I remember is when I dropped off my kid for the local u17s selection game at a local Wellington ground. Probably a 2 day or a 3 day game. Ravindra was like 11, 12 or of something of that age. Probably looked like 9. Sears couple more years older likely. My lad was like we have to bowl all day if we lost the toss. I was like who has the patience to bat that long at that age group and told him not to worry he will knock over few guys. I went to the ground to drop off lunch for my son and Ravindra had opened the batting was batting still. I went back to work and got back to pick my son up about an hour or two prior end of the day and Ravindra was still batting. Next day, same sequences and same story. I guess he would have batted 2 days in a row. By then I had ran out of all the tips I could give my son to get him out. By the third day I just said to my son it's awesome he gets to bowl so many spells to keep him positive but somewhere along the chat I said forget this game wait for them to declare :laugh: I am reminded about that hapless conversation even today.

Have heard a lot of such stories and fun days those. Time flew going to a game to watch the lads play. The anticipation was amazing. Now looking back we figure it was just some age group cricket, no one died but then it felt like a chappell hadlee trophy with lives on hold. All the kids that we nearly hated for being so good, we now love them most :thumbup:
Best post I've read on here. Its one of the main two reasons I come to this forum. Getting to hear some personal/humanizing stories about the future players of BC cricket. Hope these guys never lose that drive and achieve some monumental things for their country. There is nothing like having a passion for something you love.

Last edited:

nzfan

Will Young looking amazing. Off to not so good start CD, easy wickets up front. Too many soft dismissals. Much better getting caught on the fence than behind the wicket in T20s.

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Love watching Young bat, would love to see him play in one of the upcoming series, even if it's only the ODI squad.