• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2019 World Cup draft voting thread

Please choose the TOP THREE sides.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Please choose the three strongest teams...

Red Hill

Martin Guptill
Usman Khwaja
Shakib Al Hasan 5
Shaun Marsh
Darren Bravo
JP Duminy 6
Alex Carey +
Nathan Coulter Nile 4
Pat Cummins 2
Jason Behrendorff 3
Mohammed Shami 1

MrPrez

1. Hashim Amla
2. Fakhar Zaman
3. Rahmat Shah
4. Rassie van der Dussen
5. David Miller
6. Risabh Pant (wk)
7. Andile Phelukwayo
8. Thisara Perera
9. Kuldeep Yadav
10. Kagiso Rabada
11. Mashrafe Mortaza

Marcuss

Quinton de Kock
Imam ul-Haq
Evin Lewis
Ross Taylor
Nicholas Pooran
Jimmy Neesham
Mohammad Nabi
Chris Woakes
Tom Curran
Lockie Ferguson
Mujeeb Ur Rahman

Teuton

Jason Roy
Kusal Perera (wk)
Joe Root
Eoin Morgan (c)
Henry Nicholls
Avishka Fernando
Hardik Pandya
Adil Rashid
Jofra Archer
Mitch Starc
Hasan Ali

NUFAN

1 Aaron Finch c
2 Jonny Bairstow+
3 Virat Kohli
4 Babar Azam
5 Kedar Jadhav (7)
6 Imad Wasim (6)
7 Dwaine Pretorius (4)
8 Shadab Khan (5)
9 Bhuvneshwar Kumar (1)
10 Kemar Roach (3)
11 Imran Tahir (2)

jimmy101

David Warner
KL Rahul
Steve Smith
Dinesh Karthik
Mahmudullah
Glenn Maxwell
Sarafraz Ahmed+*
Dhananjaya de Silva
Mark Wood
Dale Steyn
Mohammad Amir

mr_mister

Dimuth Karunaratne
Shai Hope +
Kane Williamson *
Kusal Mendis
Shimron Hetmyer
Shoaib Malik 6
Colin De Grandhomme 3
Jason Holder 4
Wahab Riaz 2
Yuzvendra Chahal 5
Lasith Malinga 1

srbhkshk

Rohit Sharma (*)
Shikhar Dhawan
Soumya Sarkar (8)
Haris Sohail (7)
Mushfiqur Rahim (+)
Moeen Ali (6)
Ravindra Jadeja (5)
Chris Morris (3)
Mehidy Hasan Miraz (4)
Jasprit Bumrah (1)
Mustafizur Rahman (2)

Michaelf7777777

Tom Latham
Mohammad Hafeez
Lahiru Thirimanne
Peter Handscomb
Angelo Mathews
MS Dhoni (*) (+)
Andre Russell
Rashid Khan
Ish Sodhi
Trent Boult
Shaheen Afridi

stephen

Chris Gayle (7)
Tamim Iqbal
Faf du Plessis*
Marcus Stoinis (5)
Ben Stokes (6)
Jos Buttler+
Asif Ali
Mitchell Santner (4)
Liam Plunkett (3)
Matt Henry (2)
Lungi Ngidi (1)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Posted in the other thread:

I'm quite happy with my side. The weakest links, Stoinis and Ali are both very good fits in my team. Stoinis provides the death bowling option and given the length of my tail, having a number 7 who strikes at 130 is monstrous.

And speaking of strike rates, Tamim is the only real grafter in the side. The rest of the batsmen strike at 85+, including some of the biggest hitters in the game - Gayle and Buttler.

My bowling attack is solid with 5 seam options and two spin options. Spearheaded by Ngidi and Henry with Plunkett and Santner to follow is a very strong bowling attack. Ngidi averages 23, Henry 26 and Plunkett 29. Santner averages around 35 which is decent for a spinner, particularly one from New Zealand.

Given I got last pick in round one I was always going to miss out on Starc, Dhoni, Kohli and Shakib. But I did manage to grab some really big names - Stokes, Buttler, du Plessis and Gayle are all legitimately great batsmen, averaging at or above 40. Even Stoinis, the weakest of the top 6 had a year and a half of being legitimately awesome with the bat and had only fallen off those year. Du Plessis averages 47 striking at 90, not Kohli level but not *that* far off.

The platform built by Tamim, Gayle and du Plessis should allow for the later hitters Stokes and Buttler to really make use of the late overs. All of the bowlers in this side can bat as well, Santner, Plunkett and Henry all striking around 100 and averaging 20+. The weakest, Ngidi still averages 15.

This team bats deep, bats fast, has a lot of quality bowling options and I think it is probably the best balanced side in the competition.

Here is a summary of the batting:

Player average @ strike rate

Gayle 38@87 with 15 hundreds
Tamim 36@78 with 11 hundreds
du Plesis 47@89 with 12 hundreds
Stoinis 34@92 with 1 hundred
Stokes 41@94 with 3 hundreds
Buttler 41@120 with 9 hundreds
Asif Ali 28@130
Santner 27@88
Plunkett 21@103
Henry 20@80
Ngidi 16@71

This batting lineup bats deep and strikes fast. If nothing else this batting would be a joy to watch.

Bowling:

Player average strike rate econ

Ngidi 23 ave 25 SR 5.5 econ
Henry 27 ave 29 SR 5.4 econ
Plunkett 30 ave 31 SR 5.8 econ
Santner 36 ave 45 SR 4.9 econ
Stoinis 44 ave 43 SR 6.1 econ
Stokes 42 ave 42 SR 6.0 econ
Gayle 35 ave 44 SR 4.8 econ

Ngidi and Henry spearhead the attack. Plunkett strikes in the middle overs and Santner, Stoinis, Stokes and Gayle provide an adaptable combination for the other twenty overs. Stoinis can take death bowling duties along with Ngidi. Santner and Gayle will come into their own on spinning tracks and Stokes and Plunkett provide excellent options in the middle overs. It is a well rounded attack and even though it could use a better spinner, that not a huge problem given I'm not relying on Santner to bowl ten overs each match.

This side is designed around the England and New Zealand sides of the 2019 World Cup. Bat deep, have a ton of bowling options and have an ultra aggressive lower middle order.

mr_mister

Gave Stephen a vote so he doesn't feel he wasted hours on spreadsheets if his team was to get beaten

stephen

Gave Stephen a vote so he doesn't feel he wasted hours on spreadsheets if his team was to get beaten
Haha. Nah it's a vote which isn't anything really. The process is more fun than the result. I learned a lot about the players, including a bunch of players I wouldn't otherwise have noticed.

And I honestly would pay good money to see this side in action. It's stronger than any of the semi finalists from the actual world cup.

stephen

Of the other teams.

Nufan has the best top order.

Michaelf has the best lower middle order.

Marcus has the best bowling attack (excluding part timers).

Teuton has the best new ball pair.

Jimmy has a very balanced side.

Red Hill gets me all patriotic.

Mr Prez is one good bowler from greatness.

srbhkshk has a team that would excel in Asia. His team also has a ton of bowling options.

Mr Mister has a bowling attack which will either run through a side or go for 450. Top batting though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think the opening post needed to say that this was based on the players full career. It makes a difference IMO.

stephen

I think the opening post needed to say that this was based on the players full career. It makes a difference IMO.
Makes a huge difference.

Dhoni and everyone from South Africa in particular suffer if voting on the world cup performance.

Having said that, it's only been contestants and trundler voting so far.

stephen

So my entire side has 51 ODI hundreds.

It's insane that Kohli alone has almost as many, given that Gayle and Tamim are nearly at the end of their career, du Plessis has been around for ages and Buttler has 9 hundreds batting down the order.

Kohli has just ridiculous isn't he.

stephen

Looks like Teuton will be the clear winner here. And who can argue against an attack lead by Starc and Archer, with a batting line-up that comprises half the current English batsmen?

Nufan in second place with the best top order in the competition.