• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011 World Cup Bid Vote - Another chance

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:
Extracted from same article -
Unconfirmed reports suggest Pakistan will host the 2011 World Cup final with India hosting both semifinals.
At best its unconfirmed. So I doubt you can give too much credibility. As SANZ has said, SL is the only country not to host the Final and in fairness the Final or a Semi Final should be in SL.
( At least 2 quarter Finals if that's the best we are getting .:mellow: )

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Hey, it's better than the way the original thread turned out!
Craig said:
That is so true :laugh:
The original thread got hijacked by a couple of posters whose disparaging comments then became central focus of the thread instead of the 2011 WC bid itself.:)

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Am I missing something here? There aren't Quarter Finals at the Cricket World Cup are there? It's the Super Sixes/Eights?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:
Am I missing something here? There aren't Quarter Finals at the Cricket World Cup are there? It's the Super Sixes/Eights?
Yes thats true .

So SL should get at least a SEMI FINAL if not the FINAL !:cool:

James

Cricket Web Owner
No offence Jason, but Sri Lanka getting the Final is no chance isn't it? That would be like New Zealand hosting the 2015 World Cup Final, simply not going to happen.

Sri Lanka's stadiums are fairly small capacity wise anyway aren't they?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I agree, SriLankan Stadiums are mostly 30-35000 capacity whereas Eden Gardens can seat upto 90-100000 :cool:, Gaddaffi Stadium, Lahore has a capacity of 60-65000.

If SL wants to host the finals, then they have a lot of work to do. I am okay with the Semis though.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:
No offence Jason, but Sri Lanka getting the Final is no chance isn't it? That would be like New Zealand hosting the 2015 World Cup Final, simply not going to happen.

Sri Lanka's stadiums are fairly small capacity wise anyway aren't they?
It is not necessary to have 60,000 capacity , as Lucky Eddie pointed in the other thread.
England's finals over 4 World cups were hosted in Stadia which are less than 20,000 capacity.

SL grounds can easily be upgarded to 30-40, 000 without much hassle. The current capacity at SSC , R.Premadas stadium would be approx 25,000 at a guess.

So its not difficult to upgarde to 40,000 for either Semifinal or Final, IMO.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
RS Premdasa Stadium capacity is 35000 officially, Considering the no. of cricket fans in the subcontinent it does appear to be very less. Its the world cup finals we are talking about, Half of southern India would be in SriLanka (you know most of them go half way anyway, to earn their living, Fishermen)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Remember with England though, that they don't have any stadiums over 30,000 for cricket and they never co-host with another Test nation so there isn't much choice there.

I would personally give India the final and Pakistan both semi-finals to maximise revenue and by doing this, it gives more fans the chance to see the game at the ground. India/Pakistan also have the capacity (hotels,restaurants, etc) to handle the surge in visitors better wouldn't they and Sri Lanka wouldn't make the semis anyway would they (joke) ;)

In the modern age, you need grounds 50,000+ to stage big sporting events IMO. I would say by the time the next World Cup comes around for England Lords or one of the grounds in London will be a 60,000+ seat-a-stadium as that's what will be demanded of them by the ICC. Or maybe even a portable pitch on Wembley.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:
That would be like New Zealand hosting the 2015 World Cup Final, simply not going to happen.
Why is the negativity about your own country's ability , Mate ?

Why can't NZ host the WC Final ? There is no need for a final to have 100,000 people in the stadium. How many Olympics have been staged in 50,000 -60,000 capacity venues.

NZ needs to come out of the Australian shadow and bid on its own or demand parity IMO. Afterall its a joint bid isn't it ?

So that should be 50/50 split . Last Final was in Australia, so NZ should demand 2 semis if not the final .

Otherwise the next WC in this part of the world be 2031 or 2035 when NZ can expect to host a WC final .

or are you happy to play second fiddle to the Aussies all the time ?:laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
. How many Olympics have been staged in 50,000 -60,000 capacity venues.
In the last few Olympics, next to none. And that's what's relevant. As James said, the World Cups in England were held at grounds with smaller capacity because that's all that were available.

I will wager VERY good money on the 2015 CWC final being held at the MCG.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
James said:
I would personally give India the final and Pakistan both semi-finals to maximise revenue and by doing this, it gives more fans the chance to see the game at the ground.
Boy am I glad that you are not the guy deciding where the semis or final are going to be staged !!:@

James said:
India/Pakistan also have the capacity (hotels,restaurants, etc) to handle the surge in visitors better wouldn't they and Sri Lanka wouldn't make the semis anyway would they (joke) ;)
James , you have never been out of your "Well " in Wellington and obviously not to SL. Its pretty obvious from your lack of knowledge on Colombo its facilities etc.

How the hell did you think we hosted a Non Aligned conference with 110 heads of Government attending as way back as 1976 ?

We have many international hotels chains and tourist hotels in Colombo. You should get out of your well and see Asia for sure mate.

In fact if Wellington can host a Rugby WC Semi or Lions Match (BTW as I told Moxpearl in previous thread its funny coming from a guy who lives in a city of less than 500,000 - in most parts of the world 500,000 size -is only a Town :laugh: not a City ), Colombo can bloody easily host a Final.

And we will make the Final beating NZ to win the World Cup again.:laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
How the hell did you think we hosted a Non Aligned conference with 110 heads of Government attending as way back as 1976 ?
Well that explains it. :laugh: :laugh: Sorry no offense meant. I would agree that Colombo is a big enough city and can handle non-cricketing part of the final. But I am still not convinced on the Capacity of the stadiums. The world cup is in the subcontinent and considering how close SriLanka is from India, there will be huge demand.

James

Cricket Web Owner
JASON said:
Boy am I glad that you are not the guy deciding where the semis or final are going to be staged !!:@
I just think the biggest stadiums have to be used in the region personally, which in the end benefits the fans, in giving them a greater chance of getting a ticket. I've got nothing against Sri Lanka at all.

JASON said:
James , you have never been out of your "Well " in Wellington and obviously not to SL. Its pretty obvious from your lack of knowledge on Colombo its facilities etc.

We have many international hotels chains and tourist hotels in Colombo. You should get out of your well and see Asia for sure mate.
I've got next to no knowledge on Colombo. I was just presuming that isn't close to the facilities available in the big Indian and Pakistan cities, simply because of population. I'm obviously wrong then.

I certainly wasn't meaning to look down on Sri Lanka in anyway, so if you took my comments that way I apologise.

JASON said:
In fact if Wellington can host a Rugby WC Semi or Lions Match (BTW as I told Moxpearl in previous thread its funny coming from a guy who lives in a city of less than 500,000 - in most parts of the world 500,000 size -is only a Town :laugh: not a City ), Colombo can bloody easily host a Final.
From reports, Auckland are getting both Semis and the Final so Wellington will only have a quarter final.

Wellington struggled to host the Lions match I seem to remember. We ran out of beds available, and cruise liners had to be brought in, and people had to stay as far north as Palmerston North for the Test.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
JASON, no offence, but James is right. India and Pakistan are bound to have more facilities simply because they're bigger countries...

Craig

World Traveller
JASON said:
Why is the negativity about your own country's ability , Mate ?

Why can't NZ host the WC Final ? There is no need for a final to have 100,000 people in the stadium. How many Olympics have been staged in 50,000 -60,000 capacity venues.

NZ needs to come out of the Australian shadow and bid on its own or demand parity IMO. Afterall its a joint bid isn't it ?

So that should be 50/50 split . Last Final was in Australia, so NZ should demand 2 semis if not the final .

Otherwise the next WC in this part of the world be 2031 or 2035 when NZ can expect to host a WC final .

or are you happy to play second fiddle to the Aussies all the time ?:laugh:
No but they do have bigger grounds so therefore it would be logical if they got the final.

And as you would know, apart from possibily an All Black Test (and that it would have to be a Lions, Australia, England or maybe South Africa) you will never fill a big stadium say the size of the 'G or Telstra Stadium in New Zealand.

For me to the best thing would be to split the Super 8's (or whatever it is by then), the semi's evenly and then the final likely to be held in Australia.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
JASON, no offence, but James is right. India and Pakistan are bound to have more facilities simply because they're bigger countries...
I don't think you need to qualify your statements to Jason. He seems to be unaware that, like New Zealand, Sri Lanka is really a speck on the global stage and of very little consequence. They are very much a junior partner in this successful World Cup bid and his assertion that his country should play as large a part as he's advocating are fanciful at best.

As far as the debate about capacity goes, the reason three WC finals have been held at the relatively small-scale Lord's is because - it is Lord's. It's the spiritual home of our game and to hold a WC in England and not hold the final there would be very strange indeed. Similarly, when the WC is held here in NZ and Australia it's doubly obvious that the final will be held at the MCG: it's the biggest, by a sizeable margin, and it's also the oldest, being almost as significant to cricket as Lord's is. Personally, I feel it would be nice to have a final here, but given the status of the MCG it makes total sense to hold it there. As far as Asia goes, it makes perfect sense to hold the finals at venues far larger than any available in Sri Lanka.

Jason: it's unrealistic to expect us to have travelled to Sri Lanka to comment on it. It's a big wide world and there's plenty to explore. The notion that we should experience something firsthand in order to have a valid opinion on it is ridiculous. To follow your reasoning would mean that most of us would have no opinions on pretty much everything.

And finally, please stop disparaging Wellington. Those of us that live here are well aware of it's (lack of) size and it's shortcomings. Despite that, I'm 100% sure I'd rather live here than Colombo.