• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

11 players who made their test debuts in 11 different decades DRAFT thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Red Hill XI

Bill Lawry
-
-
Everton Weekes
-
-
-
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee
Bill O'Reilly
Alan Donald

Howe_zat

Audio File
1. WG Grace
2. Herbie Taylor
3. Ken Barrington
4. Denis Compton
6. Clyde Walcott
10. Clarrie Grimmett

watson

Banned
Appears to have been lots of frantic overnight activity.....

ROUND 5
honestbharani - Ryan Harris
jimmy101 - Brian Statham
AndrewB - Frank Tyson
watson - Frank Woolley
AldoRaine18 - Richie Benaud
mr_mister - Jock Cameron
Howe_Zat - Clyde Walcott
J_C- Dudley Nourse
Red Hill - Bill Lawry
Saint Kopite - Vijay Merchant
OverratedSanity - Stan McCabe
schearzie - Alec Bedser

ROUND 6
Schearzie - Michael Holding
OverratedSanity - Warwick Armstrong
Saint Kopite - Bruce Mitchell
Red Hill - Everton Weekes
J_C - Jacques Kallis
Howe_Zat - Ken Barrington
Mr_Mister
AldoRaine18 - Courtney Walsh
Watson - George Lohman
AndrewB
Jimmy101
Honestbhsrini

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Since mr mister already has an 80s player I'll take Courtney Walsh to complete my bowling unit of McGrath, Lindwall, Walsh, Imran and Benaud.

watson

Banned
And since Mr_mister aleady has a great 19th century batsman I'm going to pick a great 19th century bowler before they inevitably all start to go....

03. George Headley 1930
04. Brian Lara 1990
06. Frank Woolley 1909
08. Malcolm Marshall 1978
09. George Lohmann 1886
11. Waqar Younis 1989

Wasn't really sure what Lohmann bowled, so this is the most detailed description I could find.

We have the testimony of both W.G. and C.B. Fry that Lohmann was the best medium-paced bowler they had ever met, a combined verdict, it will be noticed, that embraces half a century. In an age still wedded to the formalism of length, he was the first English bowler really to master the revolutionary lessons of Spofforth, and to make length the handmaid of variety in pace and spin and flight. He was on the slow side of what we now call medium; he could break the ball back as he chose from the off, could bowl a leg-break at will, and always had in reserve the ball that looked like spinning but went straight on. But subtlety of flight was his greatest asset; with his very high delivery he was always dipping short of what the batsman expected; he could suck him out with his held back slow ball, or get him driving at the half volley which somehow "swam" into a yorker. A gallant, dashing batsman, and possibly the greatest slip fielder the world has known, Lohmann stands out as a match winning cricketer with whom very few can compare. His bowling record in Test matches against Australia, 77 wickets for 13 each, is extraordinary. No one, not even Sydney Barnes, took his wickets so cheaply.

H.S. Altham in 'A History of Cricket' (1925)

Red

That might just be the most fearsome bowling attack I've ever drafted. :laugh:
Pretty sweet and with Imran, Lindwall and Benaud in the side you can probably afford a keeper who bats down the order. Imran, Benaud and Lindwall at 6/7/8 is ideal.

Red

Indeed. Lillee, Donald, Akram and O'Reilly would be pretty brutal. Probably the strongest 4 bowlers I've drafted ever. Usually go for a batsman with my fourth pick.

watson

Banned
Marshall, Waqar, and Lohmann are going to plough straight through those weakened batting line-ups :ph34r:

Last edited:

Red

Marshall, Waqar, and Lohmann are going to plough straight through those weakened batting line-ups :ph34r:
Lawry will make sure that doesn't happen. Comes into the own when the going is tough. Ref. the Battle of the Ridge at Lords!

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Pretty sweet and with Imran, Lindwall and Benaud in the side you can probably afford a keeper who bats down the order. Imran, Benaud and Lindwall at 6/7/8 is ideal.
I remember people saying 6 is a bit high for Imran and I sorta agreed and thought 7 is possibly the best for him so I had Imran-Benaud-Lindwall as 7-8-9 in my team with AB keeping wickets. But given the fact that he won't be carrying an attack here maybe he can be given a bit more batting responsibility. Though, I'm not completely sure about Benaud at 7 in an all time setting - how effective would he be there with the bat?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 7

Howe_Zat:
AndrewB:
watson:
honestbharani:
AldoRaine18:
Red Hill:
jimmy101:
J_C:
Saint Kopite: