• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 1 opener between 1986-2006

Who is the #1 Opener between 1986-2006

• Anwar

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Boon

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gooch

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Haydon

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Haynes

• Jayasuriya

• Langer

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Kirsten

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Sehwag

• Sidhu

• Slater

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Smith

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Strauss

• Taylor

• Trescothick

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Vaughan

• Wright

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
btw, if anyone feels that a player should have been in the first poll (Note: he must have > 20 tests since '86 and av > 40.00), please make a case to Bagapath, the thread chairman of selectors, and maybe he'll issue a wild card for the next vote :)
LOL. Legally Mark Richardson belonged there. And there have been a couple of calls for his inclusion since he averages above 40. I dont see him making the cut but if aussie tragic has space for him, please add him.

and jbh! did you receive the CMJ articles intact (I am assuming the email was from you!!)? hope you enjoyed them!

bagapath

International Captain
hi sjs!

athers doesnt average above 40, one of the requirements to make it to the team. there is a separate thread on this topic apart from this poll. we will keep going back to that after we select each player.

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
blasphemy only 7 people voted for anwar. i think he was more gutsy and crafty then mr hayden. and quicker too for the most part. Had he carried on with himself in the last few years he definately would be an even larger star.

aussie tragic

International Captain
jack_sparrow said:
blasphemy only 7 people voted for anwar. i think he was more gutsy and crafty then mr hayden. and quicker too for the most part. Had he carried on with himself in the last few years he definately would be an even larger star.
I'm sure he'll go very close to being selected as the # 2 opener :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
bagapath said:
any names, sjs?
No :) Not only would it be controversial but worse, it would be NEEDLESS.

By the way, in the opening position Atherton averaged 39 +. That is very marginal. Sad.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I presume Wright refers to John Wright of NZLand.

He averaged only 37.8 in test matches and only 38.1 in the opening slot.

I hope there arent others like that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Boon did not open for two thirds of the innings he played as a test cricketer. I think he should be considered primarily a number three batsman.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Statsguru claims he opened in 36 of his 107 Tests, averaging 45 and scoring his 2 highest Test scores from the position. I'm not sure someone who played just over a third of his Tests as an opener whilst playing almost double the amount of Tests and averaging more in another position should really be included in a list of openers, though.
Absolutely.
Here you can see that he opened in only 63 out of his 190 test innings whereas he batted 111 times at number three besides a few times further down.

No I wouldnt classify him amongst openers.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SJS said:

Those stats don't quite do him justice. The fact that he is one of our best openers ever might say more about the rest than it does about him, but he was an excellent opener and I believe deserves his place in the poll. Probably doesn't deserve any votes though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
_Ed_ said:
Those stats don't quite do him justice. The fact that he is one of our best openers ever might say more about the rest than it does about him, but he was an excellent opener and I believe deserves his place in the poll. Probably doesn't deserve any votes though.
Oh absolutely.

I just mentioned that when the same reason was given for not including Atherton.

bagapath

International Captain
SJS said:
Oh absolutely.

I just mentioned that when the same reason was given for not including Atherton.
Wright has a superb record as an opener post 1986, the era we are interested in.

unfiltered 82 5334 185 37.82 12 23 0 - - 0 38 0
filtered 38 3019 185 45.05 8 14 - - - - 15 0

it is much superior compared to atherton's. their overall figures may be similar. but in the era we are analysing wright makes the cut. athers doesnt. its alright. even greenidge is not there. athers wont mind it! :)

aussie tragic

International Captain
SJS said:

SJS, please re-read the first post of this thread. The team is being selected on performances between 1986-2006 and John Wright scored 3019 runs @ 45.05 during this time (2973 @ 44.37 as opener)

EDIT: sorry, didn't realise Bagapath had already responded with the same.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Hayden is my #1 as well, but Sehwag definatly needs to be in top 5. He averages 52.07 away and 52.19 at home. Thats what you want in an opener.
well yea i guess your right, his weaknes againts the short ball may be very alarming but he is overall brilliant.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
SJS, please re-read the first post of this thread. The team is being selected on performances between 1986-2006 and John Wright scored 3019 runs @ 45.05 during this time (2973 @ 44.37 as opener)

EDIT: sorry, didn't realise Bagapath had already responded with the same.
Sorry my mistake :-O