• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A few more mods with ban powers?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You imagine I'd ban anyone who had the temerity to criticise a post of mine?
No, we would have very few members if such a sweep occured. I am just saying that I don't feel comfortable with somebody who has been banned in the past, caused a whole lot of controversy and refers to others in a derrogatory way in a position to ban other members.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fitzsimmons has been banned and is a Mod now. I would not have been banned if I'd checked my email every day. Almost all members refer to some others in manners which are in some way or another derogatory.

Perm

Fitzsimmons has been banned and is a Mod now. I would not have been banned if I'd checked my email every day. Almost all members refer to some others in manners which are in some way or another derogatory.
Yes but your continual habit of doing it to a certain "EXD" is rather tiresome and I find it quite weak that you aren't punished for it. I don't know the circumstances regarding either yours or Simons bans so I can't realy comment on that, I'm just putting across my position that I'm okay with you being a Staff Member, but if you were to become a Moderator or have the ability to ban people I'd certainly be against it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes but your continual habit of doing it to a certain "EXD" is rather tiresome and I find it quite weak that you aren't punished for it.
You're not privy to every conversation I have with everyone, so you don't know what I've been told regarding that.

And as I've said to near enough everyone - I have given nothing in that case which I have not also received. You, unfortunately, have not witnessed the latter.
I don't know the circumstances regarding either yours or Simons bans so I can't realy comment on that, I'm just putting across my position that I'm okay with you being a Staff Member, but if you were to become a Moderator or have the ability to ban people I'd certainly be against it.
You've mentioned that the fact that I had been banned had some impact on your thoughts. You do now know the circumstances, because I've just told you - had I checked my email (and you can ask Matt about that because I mentioned it to him at the time - or James for that matter) I'd not have received the ban. It was simply a misunderstanding.

Perm

You're not privy to every conversation I have with everyone, so you don't know what I've been told regarding that.

And as I've said to near enough everyone - I have given nothing in that case which I have not also received. You, unfortunately, have not witnessed the latter.

You've mentioned that the fact that I had been banned had some impact on your thoughts. You do now know the circumstances, because I've just told you - had I checked my email (and you can ask Matt about that because I mentioned it to him at the time - or James for that matter) I'd not have received the ban. It was simply a misunderstanding.
Fact of the matter is I just don't think that your behaviour, past or present, is good enough for you to be considered for that kind of power. IMO of course, nothing against you as a person.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is, of course, my behaviour is what makes me as a person, no?

As I say - I certainly don't have a problem with people saying my behaviour has been extremely poor compared to, say, Pete and Jack. That's not a MOO, it's pretty basic fact that I'd imagine virtually everyone would concur with.

I am mildly disappointed, though, that such realities make anyone - especially someone as generally fair-minded as you - feel I'd be unworthy of a position of responsibility. Because regardless of poor behaviour in terms of post content, it would never, ever mean I'd abuse the rights of post-editing\deleting and banning.

Perm

Thing is, of course, my behaviour is what makes me as a person, no?

As I say - I certainly don't have a problem with people saying my behaviour has been extremely poor compared to, say, Pete and Jack. That's not a MOO, it's pretty basic fact that I'd imagine virtually everyone would concur with.

I am mildly disappointed, though, that such realities make anyone - especially someone as generally fair-minded as you - feel I'd be unworthy of a position of responsibility. Because regardless of poor behaviour in terms of post content, it would never, ever mean I'd abuse the rights of post-editing\deleting and banning.
I'm not saying that your posting behaviour would affect how you performed as a moderator, I'm pointing out that I don't think your posting behaviour is good enough to warrant you being made a moderator in the the first place, if such a thing were to happen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right. You don't think my CV is in a fit state to warrant the promotion.

As I (at least tried to) say earlier - I don't have a problem with that, it's not something I'd dispute. :) And hence IF James asked me to become a mod I'd be surprised. But nonetheless I'd quite happily take on the role if offered it, because I believe I could help (and I certainly believe I could if it meant getting rid of BLE instantly I spotted him), and I believe I am capable of use of power without abuse.

Perm

Right. You don't think my CV is in a fit state to warrant the promotion.

As I (at least tried to) say earlier - I don't have a problem with that, it's not something I'd dispute. :) And hence IF James asked me to become a mod I'd be surprised. But nonetheless I'd quite happily take on the role if offered it, because I believe I could help (and I certainly believe I could if it meant getting rid of BLE instantly I spotted him), and I believe I am capable of use of power without abuse.
Well I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that you will never become a moderator, at least I hope you won't so all of this is rather pointless in discussing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd have guessed the chances of Towns, Kyle, Goff and Fitzsimmons all becoming such at the start of last year, too, were pretty thin.

Quite simply, you never know what's around the corner. There's no reason to suspect I should ever become a mod, but times change - drastically sometimes.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why don't you guys bet a million dollards. Next, James makes Richard a moderator. James, Richard and I share the money three way and it is all good.

Matteh

I'd have guessed the chances of Towns, Kyle, Goff and Fitzsimmons all becoming such at the start of last year, too, were pretty thin.

Quite simply, you never know what's around the corner. There's no reason to suspect I should ever become a mod, but times change - drastically sometimes.
That ended up leading to the Wave of Repression which was hardly CW's finest moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which was moreoreless exactly what I meant - if I were to be made a mod I'd expect 50 complaints a day, but that things would eventually settle-down as people realised I wasn't The Big Bad Wolf.

Funny thing is, of course, some people still don't seem to have forgiven Towns. :confused:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Filocricket basically spammed the forum today for quite a while and he will be banned in due course when James/Rich comes on I am sure. However, I was thinking whether it would be right to give a few mods the ban power to use only in cases of emergencies like we witnessed today.

Cheers.
I'm willing to accept such a responsibility. I promise not to ban anymore than 10 people in any given hour. :cool:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not really no.

None of those when appointed surprised me.

I find it funny how you've managed to divert another topic to be discussing you though...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I didn't. Perm posed me a few perfectly fair questions, I answered.

Had he not replied to my post about Rob suggesting me be given banning powers to use on BLE there'd not be any more than the single post about me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm willing to accept such a responsibility. I promise not to ban anymore than 10 people in any given hour. :cool:
TBH, if you were around a bit more you'd probably be one of the best candidates for such a role.