• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Racist"

Fusion

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
Two wrongs do indeed make a right.
This is rich coming from you. You called me biased for simply agreeing with Hair's ban. I have pointed out numerous times on this site that I don't think Hair is racist. I have also argued that we (subcontinentals) should not throw around the "racist" charge lightly (you can look through my post history. I have never used or even implied that term). Yet for simply arguing that Hair is a bad umpire, I get labeled as "biased". So I will echo Slow Love's great post above and say that it goes both ways. If someone from the subcontinent gets in a debate, they are sometimes dismissed as being biased.

I think the majority of the forum members participate in good healthy debate without resorting to name calling. Just to give an example, I love reading Pasag's posts. Though his political views are probably the opposite of mine, he puts across his points logically and without insults. I can have a good debate with him. IMO, the same holds true for many posters from the subcontinent. Though you may disagree with them, they are putting forth logical arguments that can be debated cleanly. There will always be exception, on both sides. Report the post if you think someone's crossing the line. But please, let's not put on blinders and claim that "Asians" or "Islam" is off limit topic! That is not true the vast majority of the time.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fusion said:
This is rich coming from you. You called me biased for simply agreeing with Hair's ban.
You came up with a load of points that obviously had no effect on why he was banned. Still doesn't alter the fact that there's a general ill feeling and tip-toeing when certain topics are mentioned and it doesn't help when some people take a stance that will only escalate it.

FRAZ

International Captain
Over all the debate quality is "the best" though needs improvement . As far as the "name calling" is concerned , off lately' I have not called names to any one . Although I have difference of opinion with some people on "Hair issue" but I have always put the word (assumptions) in the sentence or after the word 'racist' . And I guess a little while ago I have mentioned that "It is an assumption and might be a good one that Hair is racist" .
And the problem is not just the Hair issue , The problem comes when the countries,nationalities and the disputed areas including religion is discussed . I always try to divert the poster's intentions towards humor (although not very good at it) . I guess Pasag always has some valid and sane points and I did have a good discussion earlier on in the Palestine and the Lebanon thread . I was taunted at on some internal political issues but a gentleman was continuously ranting against the Abrahmatic faiths , Musharraf and Pakistan . And the words were directly used against these issues . I called that gentleman (having mental issues) and so did Pasag mentioned that gentleman as (racist) and IMHO rightly so .
The only problem and the most annoying one is the "post following" especially in the off topic . I wont name the offenders but it is clearly visible. And I am fed up with that completely . Whenever I tried to make a thread , and always a harmless one then it is messed up . Because kids here pre-plan the mind that "no matter what but I have to disturb this person" !
My political views are what the law and the world overall believes in e.g. Musharraf is praise woethy and I am against the terrorists . And if a gentleman keeps on saying naive things about the roots of Pakistan and is not stopped either then what am I supposed to do ?
2ndly ! once I was saying that this Oval situation is just like the situation of 1965 war b/w Pakistan and India (something happened due to mis-communication and stupid politics by both sides) and Neil Pick up showed up right away and said that you are stirring problem and you were Un -Banned and you are going to be banned again . the problem is not only that because if he had to say something then should have told in some polite words or email may be but he was not polite at all which to date I have not forgotten at all !!!!!!
Anyways overall "The best place on internet "
Keep it up !

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Matteh said:
You came up with a load of points that obviously had no effect on why he was banned. Still doesn't alter the fact that there's a general ill feeling and tip-toeing when certain topics are mentioned and it doesn't help when some people take a stance that will only escalate it.
So let's say for the sake of argument that I did come up with points that were irrelevant to Hair being dismissed. Instead of posting one line about "you're wrong and biased", why didn't you write about how and why I was being biased? Don't you think you're contributing to the general ill-feeling by throwing around "you're biased" without any evidence or detail to support your allegation? I have been reading your posts for a while and I don't think you're one of the extremist on this forum. That is why I was more disapointed that you resorted to name calling instead of having proper debate.

By the way, not that it matters to you, but my post listed a history of incidents that showed (IMO) that Hair was a bad umpire, not racist. You can disagree with my assessment, but how does that make me biased? That's like me saying anyone that supports Hair is a racist. Both equally ridiculous and dumb.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Fusion said:
So let's say for the sake of argument that I did come up with points that were irrelevant to Hair being dismissed. Instead of posting one line about "you're wrong and biased", why didn't you write about how and why I was being biased? Don't you think you're contributing to the general ill-feeling by throwing around "you're biased" without any evidence or detail to support your allegation?
You're missing the point of this thread. There's nothing wrong with accusing someone of bias. This thread is discussing accusations of racism, they're two completely different things.

Dick Rockett

Sanz said:
I am sure that is about me. Those topics are interesting for sure, but the general tone of those threads is very insulting and attacking towards Islam and hence my reponsese which may be considered very rude and aggresive at times and I make no apologies for that.
Yes, it was you. While your rudeness and aggressiveness is another matter altogether, it's posts like this that raise the issue of accusations of racism. Although your other antisocial tics generally diminish any respect you might otherwise earn, it's posts like that that keep people like me away from the debates.

Fusion

Global Moderator
16 tins of Spam said:
You're missing the point of this thread. There's nothing wrong with accusing someone of bias. This thread is discussing accusations of racism, they're two completely different things.
I disagree. It's insulting to be labelled as "biased" and have your arguments dismissed in such manner. To me, it no different from someone doing the same thing using the word "racist".

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't be overly offended if someone told me I was biased in England's favour (I'd probably take it as a compliment). Calling me racist crosses the line, then rips it up and spits at it's previous location.

Dick Rockett

Fusion said:
I disagree. It's insulting to be labelled as "biased" and have your arguments dismissed in such manner. To me, it no different from someone doing the same thing using the word "racist".
No offence man, but if that's true I reckon you're a wee bit too sensitive for this. Either way, it's still not on topic for this thread.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Jamee999 said:
I wouldn't be overly offended if someone told me I was biased in England's favour (I'd probably take it as a compliment). Calling me racist crosses the line, then rips it up and spits at it's previous location.

16 tins of Spam said:
No offence man, but if that's true I reckon you're a wee bit too sensitive for this. Either way, it's still not on topic for this thread.
I'm not saying that being called a racist and biased are the same things. I am saying that having your arguments dismissed by using one term or another is equally insulting. I want proper debate, not name calling. Anyway, perhaps I am moving this thread OT. So I'll just end my rant.

Dick Rockett

Fusion said:
I want proper debate, not name calling.
I totally agree with you, just don't think "biased" is an insult. Definitely can be quite hurtful if you've put a lot of time and thought into your post though.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
16 tins of Spam said:
Yes, it was you. While your rudeness and aggressiveness is another matter altogether, it's posts like this that raise the issue of accusations of racism. Although your other antisocial tics generally diminish any respect you might otherwise earn, it's posts like that that keep people like me away from the debates.
How does 'western' become racism ? On the other hand you clearly said stuff about Asians not accepting a certain pov. Here is what you said :-

"Oh come on. Anyone who has read this thread right from the start can see that the general trend has been that the "Asians" have been pro-veil, the "Westerners", anti. It was already that way before I pointed it out, I simply cannot see what is so wrong with stating the obvious."

As for my social skills, please dont worry, Thanks for your concern though.

Matteh

Sanz said:
How does 'western' become racism ? On the other hand you clearly said stuff about Asians not accepting a certain pov. Here is what you said :-

"Oh come on. Anyone who has read this thread right from the start can see that the general trend has been that the "Asians" have been pro-veil, the "Westerners", anti. It was already that way before I pointed it out, I simply cannot see what is so wrong with stating the obvious."

Tbf though, that was the case in that thread.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:

How is that post racist?

Dasa

burkey_1988 said:
How is that post racist?
Sanz didn't say it was racist - rather, if the post from Sanz that 16 tins of Spam referred to is racist, so is the post Sanz quoted.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
Sanz didn't say it was racist - rather, if the post from Sanz that 16 tins of Spam referred to is racist, so is the post Sanz quoted.
Meh, agree to disagree. Not getting into all this nonsense.

Matteh

Dasa said:
Spam said that most the Asians were anti-veil and that most Westerners were pro-veil.

Not quite the same as saying that all but two of the Westerners that had posted in the thread were 'a bunch of ignorant, intolerant, conservative right wing idiots' as Sanz did.

One is definitely more along the lines of 'having a go' at a certain group of people, whereas the other is stating the trend of who was arguing for what.

Dick Rockett

Thanks Matteh, was trying to figure out how exactly to word that :thumbup1:

One doesn't have to actually use the word "racism" to accuse someone of it, Dasa. I felt that Sanz's post in that thread was meant that way.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
I think this is abit of an overreaction though. I've seen some pretty bad forums, this is easily the best ever when it comes to these things. It is natural that a forum of this size with people of a million different backgrounds that when there is a racially charged debate there is going to be some friction and things may get somewhat heated. I don't see the problem with that and you only have to look at some other disgusting forums to know that CW is pretty damned good.

I have more to say on the matter but I'll leave it at that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
16 tins of Spam said:
One doesn't have to actually use the word "racism" to accuse someone of it, Dasa. I felt that Sanz's post in that thread was meant that way.
'Conservative Right wing Idiot' isn't racist, no matter what twist you give to it.

Last edited: