• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you delete a post (Talking to neil, laim & other administrations here)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
aussie

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Click the Edit box and you'll see an option to Delete Message.
well laim mate the certain post i want to delete doesn't have the edit box, it just has the quote & or box

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The name is Liam.

In response to the question at hand, the post may be too old. General users may only edit posts that are of a certain age. After a certain amount of time has passed, the post may not be edited or deleted.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The name is Liam.

In response to the question at hand, the post may be too old. General users may only edit posts that are of a certain age. After a certain amount of time has passed, the post may not be edited or deleted.
I prefer Laim. And the deadline involved is 24 hours - otherwise, e-mail the link/report the post and one of the mods will deal with it if needs be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if anyone can provide a reason why we shouldn't be able to edit older-than-24-hours-old posts I'd be delighted to hear it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why are you expected to notice an error in 24 hours?
A week would be more appropriate - then what you said would be accurate.
After a week it's almost certain you don't need to edit it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But how relevant would the error be after 24 hours? Surely the discussion would have moved on sufficiently for the error to have been explained (if necessary) by then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Explained, yes, but ideally you want to avoid other people reading it and being similarly misled.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
And if anyone can provide a reason why we shouldn't be able to edit older-than-24-hours-old posts I'd be delighted to hear it.
How many people have a problem with this?

1 or 2.

Everyone else hasn't a problem, so maybe it should be up to you to provide a reason why James should change the rules?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
How many people have a problem with this?

1 or 2.

Everyone else hasn't a problem, so maybe it should be up to you to provide a reason why James should change the rules?
If he finds it implausible then I'll not complain - but as I understand it it'd not be in the slightest difficult or time-consuming, it'd just take a few switch-flicks.
So unless people have very good reason not to, I'd say it was worthwhile doing.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Its been 24 hours since October 2001 and this is the first time its been raised I believe. No valid reasons to change it I don't think and this is the default setting within vBulletin.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
James said:
Its been 24 hours since October 2001.
my my, how time flies when you`re having fun. :D

Understandable arguement Supercoach, but I think it`s best left at 24 hours. vBulletin has chosen.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't understand why Richard is so vehemently pushing it to be changed. Just make sure that what you're posting is what you mean, and if something does get past and you need to clarify it, then make a new post. Chances are if it's edited much after one day, no one will notice it anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
James said:
Its been 24 hours since October 2001 and this is the first time its been raised I believe.
Wow, really? I could have sworn we used to be able to edit old posts before I took my sabbatical in March 2004.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Wow, really? I could have sworn we used to be able to edit old posts before I took my sabbatical in March 2004.
Take another sabbatical and see if it changes while you are away...