• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's fourth bowler?

Aussie 4th Bowler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Lee and Clarke are a given. Johnson is a project player and I think the selectors wil give him a longer run as long as we keep winning.

So that leaves 4th bowler, given the WACA could go fast do we stick with Hogg, pick Tait or give Noffke a go given his recent form (and he could replace Hogg at 8) or pick another....

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
I wouldn't rely too much on spin for this Perth test anyway. Use Lee, Bracken, Tait and Clark. I would love to see Tait bowling to the Indians on this particular wicket but I'm hoping he can bowl paces of 140-155kph throughout the match.

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
As a West Australian it saddens me to think Brad Hogg may have played his last game. He wasn't as dangerous as the Indian spinners and with Symonds and Clarke able to bowl it gives Australia a fourth quick option. :laugh:

thealder

Cricket Spectator
Drop johnson and get tait and lee scaring the indians.
hogg should play because he knows the ground better than the fast bowlers

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
All this talk about Tait extra pace and dropping Johnson for Tait's pace is stupid. Johnson bowling about 5kms if that slower then Tait. At times Johnson bowled faster then Lee. Would pick McGain as the 4th bowler anyway and drop Hogg.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
All this talk about Tait extra pace and dropping Johnson for Tait's pace is stupid. Johnson bowling about 5kms if that slower then Tait. At times Johnson bowled faster then Lee. Would pick McGain as the 4th bowler anyway and drop Hogg.
Yeah Johnsons pace is very good. He needs to work on his line a bit though. Make the batsmen play a bit more, something you know Tait will do.

I would go the four quicks and whoever performs the worst out of Tait and Johnson to make way for Hogg in Adelaide.

sideshowtim

Banned
Hogg out, Tait in.

The only batsman who Hogg ever troubled in the first two Tests was Ganguly...and even in Sydney I reckon Ganguly handled him well. Tait is the kind of guy who, even on an off day, can get wickets through sheer pace. His unpredictability is an enormous weapon and he picked up a 5fer last time he played on the WACA. Need to utilise his talents when he is still young and at optimum speed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somewhat surprised at the amount of support for dropping Johnson TBH.

Can see him, even if he doesn't bowl well, getting a confidence-boosting haul if The WACA is quick and India bat poorly (both of which are eminently possible after all that's gone on).

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Johnson's line is shocking. I'd rather have a bowler who takes 4/100 off 25 overs than a bowler who takes 0/70 off 25 overs. Anyway, he's still young and has plenty of time to develop a sense where he knows he must make the batsman play.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... his line was shocking at The SCG, but it was rather good at The MCG was it not?

I really don't think you'll get far by essentially dropping someone after his first out-and-out poor Test of the summer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well... his line was shocking at The SCG, but it was rather good at The MCG was it not?

I really don't think you'll get far by essentially dropping someone after his first out-and-out poor Test of the summer.
Hmm, not really. He's been a little wide the whole series thus far. That first spell in Melbourne where he had something like 0/5 off 7, as well as bowling to a struggling Dravid, was also due to the amount of balls that were able to be let through to the keeper and never looked dangerous.

Not that I think that Sehwag should play, but it'd be interesting watching Sehwag face Johnson, because of the amount of room that he'd give Sehwag if he maintained his current line.