• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Australia's opening batsmen of all time and include a prediction of where...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Rank Australia's opening batsmen of all time and include a prediction of where Warner will be ranked at the conclusion of his career...

FWIW, I think that Warner will finish his career being near to the greatest opener we've ever produced.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Hayden
taylor
Langer
Slater
Boon
Rogers
Phillips
Marsh

I can only remember these guys. I expect warner to be better than hayden so long as he learns that his defensive play is already darn quick scoring and doesnt lose his wicket trying to take the run rate to 10 per over each game.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Arthur Morris
Bill Lawry
Bob Simpson
Matthew Hayden
Bill Ponsford
Victor Trumper
David Warner
Michael Slater
Justin Langer
Bill Brown
Mark Taylor
Bill Woodfull
Warren Bardsley
Simon Katich
Ian Redpath
Herbie Collins

watson

Banned
My hunch is;

Simpson = Lawry = Morris = Trumper = Hayden

Then;

Taylor = Langer = Slater = Woodfull = Bardsley = Redpath = Ponsford

Then the rest, although placing Warner in that second group is tempting.

(Always felt that Ponsford has been somewhat over-rated, as nice a bloke that he is)

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
...and simpson and taylor should be among the two greatest slip catchers of all time

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poo on the houses of people ranking retired-Warner ahead of Taylor.

Tbh, Trumper-Ponting opening the batting would be just amazing.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I find it hard to rank Warner above Taylor or Slater. Does anyone have the dogies of tue two wagga wagga boys after they had played the same number as Warner has? I like Warner the Test batsman and feel he one of the most talented openers we've produced but if he joins a rebel T20 league tomorrow and never plays a Test again I doubt he will be as high on some lists.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
FWIW, I think that Warner will finish his career being near to the greatest opener we've ever produced.
Feeling more and more that this is gonna be the case. Guy is phenomenal.

mr_mister

Slater > Katich

Warner will be better than both. He has no competition for his spot, will go on to score 30 hundreds or close to.

adub

International Captain
I think Warner will end up no.1. Guy is a machine. I think he'll conquer the sub continent next time there.

Gob

International Coach
its interesting to compare Gravey train with Matt the bat. Think Hayden was more consistent and despite scoring at a slower pace, more intimidating but Warner tick more boxes. Think even in his short career he has already made more meaningful runs (against better bowlers on less flatter wickets) and his performances in England was the final tick for me to consider him as a batsman for all conditions. Conditions in England are the worst possible conditions Warner could find given his style of play but he somehow held his own even on those conditions

As for where he would end, dunno but he'll be guaranteed a place in the ATXI based purely on the way that he plays the game

fredfertang

I thought it was a criminal offence in Australia to assert that anyone other than Vic Trumper is the greatest opening batsman of all time?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Victor Trumper
Bob Simpson
Arthur Morris
Bill Lawry
Matthew Hayden
Bill Ponsford
David Warner
Mark Taylor
Warren Bardsley
Justin Langer
Michael Slater
David Boon
Sid Barnes
Bill Brown
Bill Woodfull
Simon Katich
Ian Redpath
Herbie Collins
Chris Rogers
Keith Stackpole

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden & Simpson IMO are the best two and would be my choices in the AUS ATXI.

Openers have been such a strong point through AUS history has everyone knows, they could give a team a few openers - because its really all about subjectivity, a bit ideological opinion on how you separate between Trumper, Langer, Taylor, Lawry, Morris, Hassett, S Barnes, Slater, Warner.

Then of course middle-order bats who were very useful openers like Redpath, Boon, Katich.

Ponsford & Woodfull get low marks because they had their struggles vs pace in bodyline.

mr_mister

Woodfull got 305 runs in that series not low enough to take marks off him imo

what do we think about Jack Fingleton?