• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpires bending their backs during the delivery stride – when did the change occur?

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
After having looked through some old clips of cricket in the past, I wanted to ask a question to the knowledgeable posters of this forum.

In Test matches of yore, one feature that I noticed appears to have stayed constant is umpires bending their backs during the bowler's delivery stride (most likely to concentrate on the ball to a greater degree and gain a better sight of it).

I understand this may appear a slightly farcical thread but I was just wondering as to when the change occurred.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd imagine when they changed from watching the back foot to watching the front foot when looking for no-balls

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Frank Chester might have been the one who introduced the idea of observing matters in such a way at the bowlers end. It was certainly someone from that era and as he was top dog he is most likely.

I would imagine over 6 hours or so umpiring I would find this most uncomfortable.

On the courses new umpires are given informal guidance on good practice.

I stand with feet apart at just less than shoulder width and my weight just towards my toes and slightly 'sunk' so my legs aren't ramrod straight. The ability for an umpire to react and move very sharply, both to get into position and avoid being hit by the ball cannot be stressed enough.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going to go all retro and umpire in this manner at Burgeinho's game this morning.