• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi- Terrible Record

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Shahid Afridi is a senior member of the Pakistan team and a huge draw for crowds around the world.

However, does he really deserve his place on current performance?

He is known as a destructive and matchwinning batsman but his recent record is worse than terrible.

In his last 20 ODIs he averages under 11 with the bat with 0 fifties with a highest score of 34

In those 20 ODIs he played 17 innings with 0 not outs. Of those 17 innings, he was dismissed for less than 5 nine times. That is a complete failure rate of over 50%. Incredible really that his reputation has not taken a greater hit.

To average under 11 runs per dismissal and under 10 runs per match is far below what you would expect of someone with such a high profile and reputation.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He's an interesting case. He can hit the ball further than anyone I've ever seen, and can rip apart bowling attacks like no other. He is so inconsistent, which I guess is very annoying to Bob Woolmer, considering his immense amount of talent.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Certainly the worst player to play as many games as he has. He'd be a handy ODI all-rounder if he had the sense of Razzaq with the bat and could choose the correct ball to hit and above all play a lengthy innings when required, but he's obviously got no interest in playing that way.

The laziest player in world cricket without question, ahead of Steve Harmison.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
silentstriker said:
How has he been doing with his bowling of late?
20 wickets in the last 20 matches @ 31.80. S/R of 42.4 and ER of 4.50.

I like to think he is in the team because of his bowling. He is one of the best ODI spinners in Pakistan at the moment, along with Hafeez IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
20 wickets in the last 20 matches @ 31.80. S/R of 42.4 and ER of 4.50.

I like to think he is in the team because of his bowling. He is one of the best ODI spinners in Pakistan at the moment, along with Hafeez IMO.
He is also averaging around 7 overs per game in the last 20, so he is doing a decent and consistant job with the ball.

However, thats is not what he is famous for or the area he is expected to excel in. The batting is even worse in the last 10 ODIs where he averages under 6.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that he can be such a useful bowler makes his disgraceful batting that much worse.

Honestly, if I was a Pakistani fan I don't know whether I'd love him or hate him. He's different to your Sehwag, Gibbs or whatever other frustrating player because he's just plain stupid with so much talent.

He's been nothing short of pathetic with the bat for a while in ODIs now. Pounds India whenever he can though.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Tbh, saying he has immense talent is all well and good, but think about it, if say, the worlds top 20 ODI batsmen were as irresponsible and stupid as he is, i think at least 3/4 of them would have a just as good if not better record than him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillian Thomson said:
He's becoming an irresponsible slogger that occasionally comes off.
Hasn't he been that for most of his career? His ODI average has been below 30 since his 12th ODI.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Tbh, saying he has immense talent is all well and good, but think about it, if say, the worlds top 20 ODI batsmen were as irresponsible and stupid as he is, i think at least 3/4 of them would have a just as good if not better record than him.
I think thats a very fair point. Its probable that most, if not all, of the top players could average 20 at a strike rate of 100 if they chose to

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
Worst Pakistani team ever . Needless to talk about Afridi only !
Thats almost the same team that went a whole year without losing a series. Tests or ODIs. I agree they seem very incompetent right now, but they are missing three of their best.

Shahid Afridi-One of the worst cricketers ever to play cricket.I would pick Yasir Arafat over this idiot whose brain wouldn't weigh even 1 mg.He is called a match winning player but the number of matches that Pakistan has lost because of his idiotics are 15 times more than they have won.Please drop him once forever & select some who can actually play cricket.Shahid Afridi would do a better job in a baseball team.

R_D

International Debutant
NZTailender said:
Dare I say it?

Abdul Razzaq>Shahid Afridi.

In my eyes, anyway.
hahahaha
am i missing somthing ?

But i think that would hold true for most people.

Abdul Razzaq >>>>>> Afridi.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think Pakistan need to drop him for the home series against the Windies to give him a kick up the ass and show that NO-ONE has a dIvine right to be picked. Shot selection, what shot selection? Look at Kemp - he's a big hitter too but when SA were in trouble he knuckled down and did the hard work. Afridi? His LBW might have been unlucky LBW but he'd have whacked one straight up in the air anyway.If you knew nothing about him you'd think "he's new to ODIs he'll learn"..but he's been playing TEN YEARS!! For a player of his experience his batting is RIDICULOUS.

open365

International Vice-Captain
R_D said:
hahahaha
am i missing somthing ?

But i think that would hold true for most people.

Abdul Razzaq >>>>>> Afridi.
Well Razzaq has the best hitting technique imo, Afridi just slogs accros the line all the time.

I think Afridi might be able to bat better 'properly'(if you know what i mean) but we'll never know because he never will