• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
WTF is the runrate....5.29...Lions looking to dominate....
It's all Denly, benefited from some very loose Zaheer Khan deliveries. I really hope Jonathon Trott scores a few runs here today, he needs them after his poor Twenty20 showings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe I'm biased but I'd have him at the head of the queue along with Godleman. I don't think either of them are ready yet, but that's fine as we have Tres to come back to open with Cook, but once he and Vaughan retire, I can see Denly and Godleman taking their places.
His place in the queue isn't really something I'm commenting on... yet... after just half a season, but there are so many promising openers at present it almost makes the head spin.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of curiousity, why are cricinfo not commenting on Sharma's deliveries?

DW, they are now.

Perm

His place in the queue isn't really something I'm commenting on... yet... after just half a season, but there are so many promising openers at present it almost makes the head spin.
Exactly, no doubt he has had a superb start to his career thus far, but I don't think we'll see him in the national side anytime soon, which is a good thing.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
You forgot a certain Joseph Sayers.
Not seen him so I can't really comment, but looking at his stats, I don't think he's been as impressive as Godleman or Denly.

Sayers (23 years old) Ave: 37.77 from 78 innings (12 50's, 8 100's)

Denly (21 years old) Ave: 52.16 from 20 innings (6 50's, 3 100's)

Godleman (18 years old) Ave: 51.60 from 17 innings (7 50's, 1 100)

Sayers has had a good half-season - aside from that he's been poor. He's been compared to Boycott, but as far as I can tell, that's because he's from Yorkshire and he scores slowly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sayers is nowhere near. Would be crazy to even remotely consider him for England, probably ever.

And yes, I'm a Yorkshireman.

Perm

Ishant Sharma really having some no-ball issues right now, five of them in just two overs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sharma bowls the odd peach delivery interspliced with poor balls in a random sequence that even Liam Plunkett would be proud of. He is tall, skinny and has little technique and seemed to still bowl 135kph with competant accuracy in Bangladesh.

Surely he needs some strength and technique coaching, especially in getting that front foot pointing straight and sorting his run up to make it more consistant and stop the no balls (maybe ask Ranadeb for tips:)) He has been pushed too early, but hopefully this gives him an idea of international standard to aid his progress in the future. Maybe a stint at the MRF Pace Foundation would not do much harm.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who else do you have in mind?
Varun Chopra was the first of the young brigade, though I confess I'm unaware of his deeds this season (that applies to everyone, in fact).

Anyway, there's, obviously, Trescothick and Strauss still in consideration, Cook looking to be camped in for the next 15 years or so, then Denly and Godleman, plus Nick Compton, and I'm sure there are one or two more I've not remembered right now.