• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony's at it again: His all-time England XI

Days of Grace

International Captain
You can find the full article and listen to him at cricinfo.com

Here's his team:

1. Herbert Sutcliffe

2. Len Hutton (captain)

3. Ken Barrington

4. Wally Hammond

5. Kevin Pietersen

6. Ian Botham

7. Alan Knott (wicket-keeper)

8. Johnny Wardle

9. Sir Alec Bedser

10. Fred Trueman

11. Frank Tyson

He's obviously never heard of Jack Hobbs, Sir Jack Hobbs FFS.

And Pietersen at no.5. Oh, now c'mon Tawny, just because he's South African born like you, doesn't mean he's an automatic choice. Dear oh dear :laugh:

Wardle? Okay, I'll have to research him a bit more.

Tyson the fastest ever bowler? Maybe...

Tough to leave Barnes out, maybe Tawny is thinking that the game was completely different prior to the Great War.

Anyway, his team, like his Indian XI, leaves a lot to be desired.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The guys an idiot, he based his picks purely on averages and said so. Sutcliffe has the highest batting average, chuck him in. Wardle has the lowest bowling average, he makes the team. ****en ridiculous to even think about having Kevin Pietersen in there, the guy hasn't even played 30 Tests and there is no way he is better than May, Cowdrey, Compton etc. How can you not pick Hobbs? FFS Greigy you just proved yourself to be as thick as pig ****.

Perm

btw dont mind KP and I am sure in two years he will be a dead cert in the All time team.
Maybe in two years time he will be worth considering, but right now there is no way that he should be included.

andyc

Haha, how could you not have Hobbs in there, but have KP? He hasn't even played 30 tests.

JBMAC

State Captain
MY English Team PRE WW2

1.J Hobbs
2.H.Sutcliffe
3.C.Barrett
4.K.Duleepsinji
5.L.Ames
6.P.Fender
7.D.Jardine[Captain]
8.S.Barnes
9.H.Verity
10.H.Larwood
11.W.Voce

JBMAC

State Captain
MY English Team since 1946

G.Boycott
D.Amiss
C.Cowdrey
P.May
E.Dexter
A.Knott[keeper]
Laker
A.Lock
F.Trueman
B.Statham
B.Willis
D.Randall[12th man]

Perm, Note who is opening

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
G.Boycott
D.Amiss
C.Cowdrey
P.May
E.Dexter
A.Knott[keeper]
Laker
A.Lock
F.Trueman
B.Statham
B.Willis
D.Randall[12th man]

Boycs and Amiss over Hutton? And not a Botham fan? I think your tail is a bit longer than it needs to be there mate.

Care to combine your two XIs into an all-time side?

Perm

G.Boycott
D.Amiss
C.Cowdrey
P.May
E.Dexter
A.Knott[keeper]
Laker
A.Lock
F.Trueman
B.Statham
B.Willis
D.Randall[12th man]

No Len Hutton? The tail is too long, Botham should be in there at #6 with Knott at #7.