• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the CricketWeb Selectors

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there any openings for the Aussie selectors? (But they don't make dumb desicions)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
New Zealand Selection

If I were to be elected to the New Zealand panel of selectors I would stand by several policies:

1. A Marshall Free New Zealand. If this means banning Xavier Marshall from touring, so be it.
2. Investing in our youth. This would mean a regular, well constructed A Team Programme helping to ensure that young, up and coming New Zealand cricketers would gain real, practical cricketing experience in other countries' conditions.
3. Convincing the ACB to launch a 20:20 "Super 14" style competition featuring teams from around Australia, New Zealand and a combined 'Pacific' team to effectively introduce first class cricketers to a higher standard of competition whilst also encouraging participation from patrons of the game.
4. I will not be encouraging the Past of New Zealand cricket into returning in a playing capacity (i.e. no magic return for Astle, Cairns, McMillan, Fleming)

As part of the above programme, I have already conducted a preliminary A Team selection programme; selecting who, in my opinion, may have the requisite skills and ability to represent New Zealand in the future. I have deliberately excluded any player who's over 30 years old - as they can't really be considered as "The Future" and also excluded any player who already has sufficient international experience to be considered "The Present"

The Selection

1. Openers

A real problem position for New Zealand throughout the years, and bearing in mind that most options are either over the hill (Matthew Bell, Craig Cumming) or have had sufficient international experience and not proved their ability (Michael Papps) there are few options available. One potential selection is Tim McIntosh of Auckland who suffers from similar holes in his technique as another prime candidate, Peter Ingram. Both tend to suffer big failings early on in their innings against a swinging ball - a pretty large flaw in New Zealand conditions - but are capable of cashing in once they have seen off the early movement. McIntosh in particular appears to have the mental capacity to continue batting for a long time once he has got past the new ball. Sadly, both players' statistical returns bear little scrutiny as a result with a sufficient number of large scores, but a stackful of single-figure dismissals. Both players are too similar to open together, so something a bit different needs to be paired with one. McIntosh gains selection due to his ability to make the large scores.

For the second opening position, the main candidates are Aaron Redmond and Todd Astle. These players provide a different type of opener to McIntosh and Ingram; with the solid, accumulative technique and compact style of Redmond being in stark contrast to the more expansive Astle. Both players are also capable of turning their arm over as a fifth or sixth bowling option as and when required. Redmond has shown little capacity in his international career so far to make scores, but has looked fairly solid whilst doing so. Redmond earns the chance to build an international career in the Heath A Team

2. Middle Order

This is an area where New Zealand appear to be blessed with an embarrasment of riches. The first candidate, and a must pick if fit, is Jesse Ryder. Possibly the most gifted New Zealand left-hander of all time - and I use that term advisedly. He has the fluidity of Fleming on the drive, whilst also having tremendous power to bludgeon a bowler out of the attack if necessary; whilst also providing a more than handy bowling option.

To accompany Ryder in the middle order, potential options include present incumbent Daniel Flynn, Rob Nicol, Greg Hay, Greg Todd and Neil Broom. All of these players would provide useful options and would benefit greatly from the A Team experience.

Greg Todd is an interesting one, as he returned from a debilitating injury during the 2005-6 season to have a barnstorming 2007-8 which included twin centuries in a game against Wellington in November. Neil Broom, also of Otago, is a couple of years younger but with a similar record to Todd. Capable of accurate, field piercing stroke play and timing the ball with consumate ease. Though slightly less dynamic then the exciting Ryder, Broom has a solid, reliable technique and is more than capable of accelerating the run rate if necessary.

Greg Hay has weight of runs, and also the weight of expectation behind him. Having already been identified by some misguided pundits as a future opener, completely evading his ability as a middle order run gatherer. Daniel Flynn has already started his international career, with mixed results. He has proved himself as a solid enough middle-order batsman, though like Papps before him, he can expect a stern examination from the short delivery in the future.

A couple of years ago, Rob Nicol was on the fast track to international honours; scoring big runs for Auckland and centuries under pressure. In 2007/8, he struggled for form throughout the season which has to put a caveat next to his name. At his best however, such as the key innings he played on an unusally tough batting surface at McLean Park he scored a solid, well constructed 134 to set Auckland up for the win.

Heath's selection for the A Team squad middle order is Ryder, Hay, Todd and Broom. Flynn has seemingly built himself solid foundations to an international career, whilst Nicol will certainly be high on the list of players that will be closely considered in the future, and earmarked for targetted training with top worldwide batting coaches.

3. Wicket Keeper

With the exceptional Stu Mills having deserted Wellington for a law career in England and Kruger van Wyk not yet available for selection, the wicket keeping options for the A Team tour are somewhat limited. Bradley-John Watling offers a solid, if unspectacular keeping style allied with an equally stolid, unspectacular and reserved batting method was has lended itself to occasionally opening the batting for Northern Districts. His main rival comes in the form of Central District's Bevan Griggs who comes with a wealth of experience both in a solid CD batting line up and as Captain for Central. Certainly, Griggs is the conservative choice with a well watched and well known ability. BJ Watling however offers more potential and could be developed into a reliable test match opener to boot, if nurtured properly. Hence, he gains selection in the Heath A Team

The spin and seam bowling line up is to follow

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel (wk)
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel (c)
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel
Jeetan Patel
Heath Davies

Athlai

Not Terrible
Sounds reasonable, :happy: though you will have to undergo some facial reconstructive surgery and a legally binding name change too.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hmm... do you have the Jeetan spirit? Are you a lion on the field? Can you do my washing? Sign on the dotted line.

Pakistan: Beleg easily.
I,being a Pakistani,refuse to accept Beleg as a selector because he most of the times selects those players he haseen playing during his time.Moreover,for no apparent reason,he's extremly biased against a few of alltime greatscricketers Pakistan has ever produced & would prefer even Ajit Agarkar over them.So,I think Fusion would be the best option.If not,then you can choose FRAZ.