• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season XIII Discussion and Results

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Nice to make an appearnce in an OD, cheers skip. Sorry I only made a below-par 24 though. Perhaps it's not the format for me lol

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair point. Rose has had an excellent OD season for the most part. And Gough hasn't gone too badly, IIRC.
If by hasn't gone too badly you mean averages 15 then yeah I guess... Wattles has been doing a decent job, averaging 27 according to the last OD stats. Sadly averaging just 37 hasn't helped my case :(

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricket Web Red involved in one of the greatest of Dev League contests. Results soon. Or later. Before I die.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Monday 25th February

Cricket Web Black v Cricket Web Green
Pickford Reserve

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

In the second innings, with a worn pitch at their disposal, Cricket Web Black again struggled to force home a victory. Martyn Corrin led a the resistance with 105, as Cricket Web Green recovered from a 110 first innings deficit with a huge second innings total. Aside from Corrin, three players crossed 50 and the Greens finished on 417-6 declared.

Darren Dubb-Lynch was unbeaten on 71, having played a near flawless innings. The Blacks toiled for 141 overs in the second innings, but could not close out the game. Fast bowler Nath Patrick was the most threatening bowler on show, though he finished with 2 for 81. CW Black were then left 62 overs to bat out the game, facing an improbable total of 308 to win. Tom Halsey spun the ball prodigiously and unsettled the middle order with three wickets, but Dan Smith used the time well to avoid any severe drama, scoring 87 not out.

The first innings was a much more bowler-friendly affair. On the opening day CW Green were frustrated by bad weather after being inserted, but finished strongly on 96-0 at stumps. Conditions were hardly easier on day two, and the ball zipped around for the seamers and turned for the spinners. Unlike day one the Blacks used the conditions to good effect, taking the last 10 wickets for 72 runs in a dramatic CW Green collapse. The wickets were shared largely between Patrick and Pickup, each claiming 4, and Dave Richards was never required to bowl. The home team then set about to build to a commanding position, but never really dominated in their turn at the crease.

Andrew Cloete was unsurprisingly the most fluent of the batsmen, playing strongly through the offside in 79 at number three. He was joined only by Richards as a half-centurion. The spinner battled with the lower order and scored 61 not out of 282 all out. With a lead of 110, CW Black stretched their dominance into the early part of the third innings. Lezama flicked a Gelman half-volley into the hands of Pickup at square leg, leaving his team in trouble on 3-1. But that was the extent of their penetration until the following day. A direct Blackman throw ran out Scott for 39, but only gave way to another resilient innings. Everyone contributed healthily through the middle order, batting around Corrin and offering no chances to their hosts. Up until the final partnership of the innings - 54 for the seventh wicket - there was no avenue of return for the Blacks. And by match end the Greens were much the happier side.

Cricket Web Green 1st Innings 172 all out
Malone 49, Lezama 48, Pickup 4-23, Patrick 4-44
Cricket Web Black 1st Innings 282 all out
Cloete 79, Richards 61*, Mitchell 3-68, Rose 2-41
Cricket Web Green 2nd Innings 417 for 6 dec.
Corrin 105, Dubb-Lynch 71*, Patrick 2-81, Pickup 1-66
Cricket Web Black 2nd Innings 187 for 5
Smith 87*, Arnold 34, Halsey 3-34, Cunningham 1-20

Match drawn.
Man of the Match: M Corrin (Green)

Cricket Web Colts v Cricket Web Blue
Fardin Qayyumi CC

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

All the brilliance of Alex Crampton could not prevent Cricket Web Colts from thrashing Cricket Web Blue by 10 wickets, heating up the five-day race in dramatic fashion. Crampton played one of the finest rearguard innings in Development League history, but an unusually fragile showing by the CW Blue top order haunted the visitors.

The Colts took first strike and showed the extent of their improvement this season, batting confidently to a large first innings score. After the failure of Griffen (6) at the top, there were strong contributions all through the innings. The protagonist of the stage play was Will Kerr, back to his best with 129. While the Blues floundered and strayed in length, Kerr cashed in on anything loose, leaving the ball outside offstump otherwise. With Chris Butler (87) he put on 127, following on from the entertaining hitting of Jasotharan, who lit up the ground with 65 off 44. Eventually Kerr played a tired pull shot and ended the torture of CW Blue, the Colts all out for 489. The fatigue showed in the Blues' dreary trek off the pitch, and they were never prepared for the pace and direction they were met with by Greg Thomas. The former CW XI fast bowler found his line and length immediately and made good on his promise to return to form. His 3 wickets rocked the top order, and he ultimately collected five of the to six batsmen in his best bowling of the season.

Apart from a partnership of 72 for the fourth wicket, involving a Cribb half-century, there was little to celebrate in the middle order. And the lower order was dominated by Crampton, who effected prelude to his second innings heroics with 55. In the end CW Blue were out for 186, and Wright enforced the follow-on with few concerns. Again the Blue top order fell apart and at 91-5 the end of the match seemed a short sprint for the Colts. To the credit of the visitors, however, the first signs of fight appeared. Rob Bowen slammed 5 fours and a six in a quickfire 67. He batted with Crampton for 82 runs, then missed a reverse-swinging delivery from Wright to be lbw.

The tail was exposed with only Crampton as its shield. But the Colts were made to work for their result, defied by a determined performance. Crampton warmed up for the one-day international series against New Zealand with a long overdue century, the second of his career. Together with Taylor (22) the eighth wicket partnership took shape of 106 and then with Collins (9) he put on 60. CW Blue crept into the lead before they came undone to the fingers of Weber. He finished with 5 wickets and Crampton stayed not out on 163. The Colts were then left with 45 runs to win and an hour to fifth day's lunch. They needed less than 7 overs due to the eagerness of Griffen, who powered 33 off 29 balls.

Cricket Web Colts 1st Innings 489 all out
Kerr 129, Butler 87, Shah 3-70, Taylor 3-116
Cricket Web Blue 1st Innings 186 all out
Crampton 55, Cribb 50, Thomas 5-53, Wright 3-41
Cricket Web Blue 2nd Innings Following On 347 all out
Crampton 163*, Bowen 67, Weber 5-64, Wright 3-89
Cricket Web Colts 2nd Innings 45 for 0
Griffen 33*, Law 9*

Cricket Web Colts won by 10 wickets.
Man of the Match: GM Thomas (Colts)

Cricket Web Red v Masters XI
CW Oval

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

Cricket Web Red achieved history as they successfully chased 441 to beat the Masters XI in a thrilling game at the Oval. The Reds trailed by 163 runs on first innings, but rebounded magnificently to bowl out their opponents and then chase the enormous target.

Though the Reds won the toss and bowled first, they did not boast with any authority on the opening day. Brian Lara offset any early momentum with an attacking 72, but Damien Martyn soared to another ton in the middle order. His 105 was essential to the Masters score of 350, while David Kennett operated the essential role of damage control. Kennett claimed 6 for 83 with a determined bowling performance. But what little help there was on the pitch was amplified by the Masters bowlers. Most prominent in dismissing CW Red for 187, Shane Warne took 4 cheap wickets and upset the middle order. Even their eventual total, trailing by 163, was largely due to the efforts of Sean Bennett. He continued with his newly discovered batting form, scoring 54 not out off 181 balls and shepherding the tail from the despair of 111-8.

The Masters started their second innings in complete control of the game. And that confidence bred carelessness and a succession of loose shots after the middle order got good starts. Brian Lara (53) and Inzamam (67) ticked on to fifties, but Dave Watt took the mantle of spearhead with a 6-wicket haul of his own. The final total of 277 left 441 towering in the sights of the Reds. The faced up to the mountain nervously and lost both openers before 50 runs could be posted.

From 48-2 Rob Dauth and David Kearsley initiated the fearless revival. They never looked to be intimidated by the task at hand, and batted themselves in instead of approaching the target with any genuine intention. The partnership took shape of 164 until Kearsley checked out with 52. He left Dauth on 108 and gave way to Chris Dwyer, a man under pressure. And his response to that pressure and expectation was a stunning counterattack. When he pulled Henderson flat over midwicket for six, the chase looked alive and thoughts of victory turned realistic in the minds of the home side. Dwyer raced along to a 46-ball fifty, but saw Dauth depart for 138, run out in a tragically comedic mixup. Dwyer was still not shaken, and he played some more outstanding shots before he nicked Boyd Rankin to slip.

He was out for 84 off 73 balls and left CW Red still short of victory by 105. Jamee Gray settled in to play one of the most important innings of his career. He lost Nayak as a partner after they had knocked the requirement down to 66. But Gray continued solidly alongside Bennett and the two carried the game into the fifth afternoon. With 36 to his name, Gray was dropped by Inzamam. The miss threatened to be costly at the time, until Warne slipped a googly past Gray's prod to dismiss him for 43. He left with only 28 runs needed and Clapham was next to the pressure pot. And aside from the simplest of missed chances by bowler Rankin, Clapham looked a pillar of competence. In the end he outshone Bennett in their partnership and stroked Henderson through the covers for the winning boundary.

Masters XI 1st Innings 350 all out
Martyn 105, Lara 72, Kennett 6-83, Watt 2-88
Cricket Web Red 1st Innings 187 all out
Bennett 54*, Dauth 46, Warne 4-29, Henderson 2-34
Masters XI 2nd Innings 277 all out
Inzamam-ul-Haq 67, Lara 53, Watt 6-75, Clapham 2-63
Cricket Web Red 2nd Innings 444 for 7
Dauth 138, Dwyer 84, Klusener 2-52, Henderson 2-105

Cricket Web Red won by 3 wickets.
Man of the Match: RJ Dauth (Red)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Would be a valid argument if my name was under consideration....somehow I don't think it will be after my OD efforts this season :(
Second best ODI record for the CW XI (among seamers). Definitely one of the names under consideration.

Matteh

That'll do, again we didn't hit enough in one innings, but we got away with it.

Latest table?

Last edited:

Johnners

Second best ODI record for the CW XI (among seamers). Definitely one of the names under consideration.
Where can one find out such things? (CWXI ODI Stats that is)

Awesome win that, Dauth, Watt & Kennett delivering the killer blows. I think that's the 3rd or 4th time I've been there at the end with the bat in a close finish this season, quite proud of it tbh. A little disappointed with my bowling in the last few FC matches though, leaking to many runs :( (dropped catches haven't helped either iirc)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yay, more draws. How about a spinner who can do their job eh?
hehe, wish i could..guess i've been more of a batting allrounder this year..if my calculations are correct think i've scored 866 runs@50.94 this year including tests and the invitational XI

although tbf, both me and Neil are amongst the best 4 for bowling averages in the Dev league this year, we just seem to go missing in the second innings sometimes

Last edited: